dMZX Forums: Expanded on-death options -> MegaZeux Feature Requests -> Tracker

Report ID 701 Title Expanded on-death options
Product MegaZeux Feature Requests Status Awaiting Feedback (Severity 0 - None Assigned)
Version 2.92 Fixed in -

Page 1 of 1
  • Cannot start a new Issue
  • You cannot reply to this issue

Report ID #701: Expanded on-death options

#1 User is online  
Lachesis 

• the pinnacle of human emotion
  • Group: DigiStaff

Posted 16 December 2017 - 12:42 AM

New board options have been requested:

• Reset board on death (note: probably impossible unless reset board on entry is also enabled)
  • Reset time limit on death (trivial)

"Let's just say I'm a GOOD hacker, AND virus maker. I'm sure you wouldn't like to pay for another PC would you?"

xx̊y (OST) - HELLQUEST (OST) - Zeux I: Labyrinth of Zeux (OST) (DOS OST)
w/ Lancer-X and/or asgromo: Pandora's Gate - Thanatos Insignia - no True(n) - For Elise OST
MegaZeux: Online Help File - Keycode Guide - Joystick Guide - Official GIT Repository

Page 1 of 1  

Replies (1 - 2)

#2 User is online  
Lachesis 

Posted 24 October 2018 - 10:12 AM

Updating status to: Awaiting Feedback

The first is somewhat annoying and relies on whether or not reset on entry is also set.

Neither: the board is run off of the source board from the board list.
Entry: the source board is duplicated to a temp board. The temp board is run. The temp board is deleted when the board is exited.
Death: the source board is duplicated to a temp board. The source board is run. The source board is replaced with a duplicate of the temp board when the player dies. The temp board is deleted when the board is exited.
Both: the source board is duplicated to a temp board. The temp board is run. The temp board is replaced with a duplicate of the source board when the player dies. The temp board is deleted when the board is exited.

Note it requires inverting which board is run and which board is copied over the other on death depending on the reset on entry state. Also note that without reset board on entry enabled, this will only reset the board to the state it was in when the player last entered, and I'm not sure how useful that is.

Also note that it requires saving the temporary board to save files like reset on board entry, but with the additional requirement of determining how to actually use this temporary board once it's loaded based on these settings.

This isn't too outside of the realm of possibility as I thought before, and could very well be in 2.92. I find it conceptually annoying though, and the person who requested it hasn't interacted with the community roughly since I created this issue, so I have no clue what kind of demand there is for it.
"Let's just say I'm a GOOD hacker, AND virus maker. I'm sure you wouldn't like to pay for another PC would you?"

w/ Lancer-X and/or asgromo: Pandora's Gate - Thanatos Insignia - no True(n) - For Elise OST
MegaZeux: Online Help File - Keycode Guide - Joystick Guide - Official GIT Repository

#3 User is online  
Lachesis 

Posted 24 December 2023 - 11:55 PM

Deferring judgment on this feature request until after 2.93 is released, but my current thoughts:

• There is now a label called PLAYERDIED in 2.93 that would allow easy detection of built-in death for scripting this type of thing.
  • Resetting time on death with this label just involves setting TIME to TIMERESET.
  • With the new default behavior of "reset board on entry" in 2.93, "reset board on death" should be trivial with a single TELEPORT command.
  • I don't want to bother with the edge case of "reset board on death" enabled and "reset board on entry" disabled.

: "playerdied"
set "time" to "timereset"
set "$" to "board_name"
teleport player to "&$&" at "playerx" "playery"

Page 1 of 1

0 User(s) are reading this issue
0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users