dMZX Forums: Doomsday Dream Legend 25th - dMZX Forums

Jump to content

Message from the Management

When you finish a new game, demo, engine, or utility, the first thing to do is submit it to the archive for approval. (Log in first, then Upload a New Game from the sidebar.) Then feel free to post about it in this forum; in fact, please continue to do this. This is so people will actually know about your game and play it. As nice as it is to have archive uploads automated, it's not going to help much if no one knows you have a new game to play.

When uploading your games to the archive, please zip up your game using the .ZIP format, even if it is just a .MZX file. As for less popular formats (such as RAR and 7Z), games uploaded in these formats will be rejected. This is because as wonderful as those compression algorithms might be, ZIP is a near universal compression standard, and the only one that will work with the in-game archive browser planned for MZX.

You can also attach your game to a new thread in this forum. In this case, you can use whatever compression format you find suitable. NOTE: Games posted this way won't be put into the archive unless submitted to the archive proper, or unless the author states he/she wants the game in.

Lastly, we suggest you post a suitable screenshot of your submission (in PNG format) along with the game.
Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Doomsday Dream Legend 25th You kinda missed Zordan. Admit it.

#1 User is offline   DDCecil 

  • Member
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 66
  • Joined: 25-July 01
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Idaho Falls, ID

Posted 08 July 2022 - 02:58 AM

7/26/2022 - Okay, uploaded 1.1! Fixed a ton of stuff and it should be playable from beginning to end. Took a lot longer than expected!

7/16/22 - Slowly inching my way through it! 7/13/22 - Still trying to fix it. I fix one thing, and something else seems to go wrong!
7/9/22 - Don't play it seriously yet. I'm trying to fix a TON of things I somehow missed for a 1.1. release this week sometime!
https://youtu.be/s5Rzc-NXCeM
It was 25 years ago at this moment (give or take a few hours) that I released the original DDL1 to AOL. Since EVERYTHING is getting remade, I thought, why the hell not? It started as a simple graphical update, to its current incarnation! I feel its better than the 97 original, but still not as good as my 2012 project dump. Warning: I can't write dialog worth of crap, and as I'm getting older, my brain fog is getting worse, so I hope the story/dialogue still kind of makes sense. My older game was probably more coherent. Also, I added sound effects, but no music except for the main theme and variations. The .txt file has a list of what to name any songs you want to use. Let me know if you find any game breaking errors or graphical glitches (I keep running across them) and hopefully I'll update and tweak it in the future when I have more time based on what everyone thinks. Also, feel free to ask questions if something in-game doesn't make much sense.

Attached Image: screen18.png
Attached Image: screen16.png
Attached Image: screen19.png
Enjoy!


PS: Enjoy your limited edition ZordaNFT™:Attached Image: Limited ZordaNFT(tm).png
PSS: Not a real NFT. Just a funny thing Mini Dall-E made.

This post has been edited by DDCecil: 26 July 2022 - 11:18 PM

1

#2 User is offline   Maxim 

  • Dismember
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 1,079
  • Joined: 09-October 00
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Kyrgyzstan

Posted 17 August 2022 - 10:10 AM

I finally got the chance to play this, and I'm blown away. What attention to detail. I don't even mind that I've been in the first area for over an hour repeatedly dying every time I make a bit of progress. It's exactly how it needs to be. Can't just charge through one area at a time and complete it. It forces you to explore.

I still remember when DDL was the best complete MZX RPG. You did a great job modernizing it.
1

#3 User is offline   DDCecil 

  • Member
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 66
  • Joined: 25-July 01
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Idaho Falls, ID

Posted 19 August 2022 - 02:26 PM

View PostMaxim, on 17 August 2022 - 04:10 AM, said:

I finally got the chance to play this, and I'm blown away. What attention to detail. I don't even mind that I've been in the first area for over an hour repeatedly dying every time I make a bit of progress. It's exactly how it needs to be. Can't just charge through one area at a time and complete it. It forces you to explore.

I still remember when DDL was the best complete MZX RPG. You did a great job modernizing it.


Thanks for the kind words! 1.3 should be uploaded soon (next day or so), with better battle/status menus and more fixes (the final enemies have some attacks that will screw up your stats permanently, still fixing the occasion graphical glitch).
0

#4 User is offline   Maxim 

  • Dismember
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 1,079
  • Joined: 09-October 00
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Kyrgyzstan

Posted 19 August 2022 - 11:59 PM

View PostDDCecil, on 19 August 2022 - 10:26 AM, said:

Thanks for the kind words! 1.3 should be uploaded soon (next day or so), with better battle/status menus and more fixes (the final enemies have some attacks that will screw up your stats permanently, still fixing the occasion graphical glitch).

The pala fountain's text box has a small glitch if the amount you have is over 9999.
0

#5 User is offline   DDCecil 

  • Member
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 66
  • Joined: 25-July 01
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Idaho Falls, ID

Posted 20 August 2022 - 02:34 AM

View PostMaxim, on 19 August 2022 - 05:59 PM, said:

The pala fountain's text box has a small glitch if the amount you have is over 9999.


Do you have a screenshot? I tried to replicate it on 1.2 and my upcoming version and couldn't get anything to glitch in the box (I tried a bunch of numbers from 0 to 999999).
0

#6 User is offline   Maxim 

  • Dismember
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 1,079
  • Joined: 09-October 00
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Kyrgyzstan

Posted 20 August 2022 - 03:15 AM

I couldn't replicate it either. No idea what happened.
0

#7 User is offline   Dr Lancer-X 

  • 電波、届いた?
  • Group: DigiStaff
  • Posts: 8,936
  • Joined: 20-March 02
  • Location:ur mom nmiaow

Posted 20 August 2022 - 05:46 AM

View PostDDCecil, on 20 August 2022 - 12:34 PM, said:

Do you have a screenshot? I tried to replicate it on 1.2 and my upcoming version and couldn't get anything to glitch in the box (I tried a bunch of numbers from 0 to 999999).

If I had to guess it's because you only write two blanks after &coins&, so if your pala drops by more than 2 digits due to a big donation it will visually glitch. (e.g. have 1000 coins then toss in 1000, it will display 0 0.)
Posted Image
<Malwyn> Yes, yes. Don't worry I'd rather masturbate with broken glass than ask you for help again. :(
0

#8 User is offline   DDCecil 

  • Member
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 66
  • Joined: 25-July 01
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Idaho Falls, ID

Posted 20 August 2022 - 04:59 PM

View PostDr Lancer-X, on 19 August 2022 - 11:46 PM, said:

If I had to guess it's because you only write two blanks after &coins&, so if your pala drops by more than 2 digits due to a big donation it will visually glitch. (e.g. have 1000 coins then toss in 1000, it will display 0 0.)


Yep, that was it and I fixed it. Thanks!
I have a question someone might be able to answer. Is there a way to make the ingame clock stay the same no matter the mzx_speed? Would the easiest way be to adjust the cycle by whatever the current speed is? Here's what I currently use:

cycle 30
: "loop"
lockplayer attack
inc "Seconds" by 1
if "Seconds" > 59 then "sec2min"
: "mincheck"
if "Minutes" > 59 then "min2hr"
: "gotoloop"
wait for 1
goto "loop"
end
: "endd"
end
: "sec2min"
dec "Seconds" by 60
inc "Minutes" by 1
goto "mincheck"
end
: "min2hr"
dec "Minutes" by 60
inc "Hours" by 1
goto "gotoloop"
end

0

#9 User is offline   Maxim 

  • Dismember
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 1,079
  • Joined: 09-October 00
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Kyrgyzstan

Posted 21 August 2022 - 04:59 AM

The proper way to capture a play time is messy and would require all kinds of exceptions. A general rule is each mzx_speed is around twice as fast as the previous. Speeds 2, 3, and 4 are approximately 62, 30, and 15 cycles per second, if I'm remembering right. You could get a "good enough" result by playing with those numbers.
0

#10 User is offline   Zekium 

  • Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 4
  • Joined: 18-May 22

Posted 21 August 2022 - 11:59 AM

I first tried this game on the version 1.0 and... it was a bad experience with game breaking bugs , (almost) soft locking situations if you use healing items wrongly and too much fights. I've only made one and a half "dungeon".

Tried again on 1.2 and it was a way much better experience (enough to complete the game :)/>/> ).

So what I think of the game ?
+ Lot of hidden stuff to find
+ Foreground details which is a cool touch
+ Animations in fights (some quite long like the frame painting ones)
+ Robots that stop the fight to encourage exploring hidden parts
+ Character that help finding hidden treasures

- Lack of musics
- Fight system basically based on items
- Price system totally wrong : It's way more interesting to use cheap objects than going for more effective ones.
- Objects values are wrong at the trading part in the end. Since using an Elixir is equivalent to use 5 Essences, it's simply worthless to make an exchange unless your character have more than 180 maxHP (which can't happen in the game). Same for Sprout/Blossom.
- Didn't managed to go into the AA place despite the indication given at the Thieves cavern
- Some puzzles (had to cheat by using Megazeux editor)

This post has been edited by Zekium: 21 August 2022 - 01:53 PM

0

#11 User is offline   DDCecil 

  • Member
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 66
  • Joined: 25-July 01
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Idaho Falls, ID

Posted 21 August 2022 - 07:18 PM

View PostZekium, on 21 August 2022 - 05:59 AM, said:

I first tried this game on the version 1.0 and... it was a bad experience with game breaking bugs , (almost) soft locking situations if you use healing items wrongly and too much fights. I've only made one and a half "dungeon".

Tried again on 1.2 and it was a way much better experience (enough to complete the game Posted Image/>/> ).

So what I think of the game ?
+ Lot of hidden stuff to find
+ Foreground details which is a cool touch
+ Animations in fights (some quite long like the frame painting ones)
+ Robots that stop the fight to encourage exploring hidden parts
+ Character that help finding hidden treasures

- Lack of musics
- Fight system basically based on items
- Price system totally wrong : It's way more interesting to use cheap objects than going for more effective ones.
- Objects values are wrong at the trading part in the end. Since using an Elixir is equivalent to use 5 Essences, it's simply worthless to make an exchange unless your character have more than 180 maxHP (which can't happen in the game). Same for Sprout/Blossom.
- Didn't managed to go into the AA place despite the indication given at the Thieves cavern
- Some puzzles (had to cheat by using Megazeux editor)


Glad you played through it and seems to enjoy it! It can still use a ton of work for sure, even after 1.3 is released. I'll definitely try and fix some minus points like the trade system at the end (you can actually go up to 9999 HP/999 SP/999 ATK, but that would probably be a huge waste of time!) I'd love music to be added, but I don't want to take anybody's music, so I feel that downloading the file and adding your own .OGG files was a decent substitution.

Not sure why the AA location didn't work, as it has worked every time I tested it out. Curious which puzzle stumped you the most!

1

#12 User is offline   Zekium 

  • Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 4
  • Joined: 18-May 22

Posted 21 August 2022 - 08:14 PM

View PostDDCecil, on 21 August 2022 - 07:18 PM, said:

Glad you played through it and seems to enjoy it! It can still use a ton of work for sure, even after 1.3 is released. I'll definitely try and fix some minus points like the trade system at the end (you can actually go up to 9999 HP/999 SP/999 ATK, but that would probably be a huge waste of time!) I'd love music to be added, but I don't want to take anybody's music, so I feel that downloading the file and adding your own .OGG files was a decent substitution.

Not sure why the AA location didn't work, as it has worked every time I tested it out. Curious which puzzle stumped you the most!


The crystals place at the pyramid and the crosswords at the final dungeon.

As for the AA location, I've simply badly counted ><
1

#13 User is offline   DDCecil 

  • Member
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 66
  • Joined: 25-July 01
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Idaho Falls, ID

Posted 24 August 2022 - 04:29 AM

Okay, just uploaded 1.3! Hopefully I fixed everything I could find. I need a break from programming for a while and need to get back to other games I was playing before I got too deep into making this!
0

#14 User is offline   Maxim 

  • Dismember
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 1,079
  • Joined: 09-October 00
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Kyrgyzstan

Posted 24 August 2022 - 10:35 AM

I've found a few very minor issues. The piano in the cafe's 5 turns into a ^ when you view the sign below it. The new play time display has a few issues that could very quickly be fixed with a few bytes of code. Sorry these reports aren't more helpful. I'm enjoying the game enough that I'm opposed to dissecting it in the editor and spoiling the surprise of some new addition or another.
1

#15 User is offline   DDCecil 

  • Member
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 66
  • Joined: 25-July 01
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Idaho Falls, ID

Posted 24 August 2022 - 03:24 PM

View PostMaxim, on 24 August 2022 - 04:35 AM, said:

I've found a few very minor issues. The piano in the cafe's 5 turns into a ^ when you view the sign below it. The new play time display has a few issues that could very quickly be fixed with a few bytes of code. Sorry these reports aren't more helpful. I'm enjoying the game enough that I'm opposed to dissecting it in the editor and spoiling the surprise of some new addition or another.


No problem! Fixed the first issue (forgot to put an overlay on the ^), can you elaborate on the play time display problem?

Edit: Was it the timer having only 1 digit for minutes/seconds? If so, fixed it!
Edit 2: 1.4 is out now!
Bonus Edit: Hope you guys are still enjoying it. Here's a tip... the numbers of the shop vault can also be used to enter phone numbers! Try an old number for the Nintendo hotline...

This post has been edited by DDCecil: 11 September 2022 - 05:54 PM

0

#16 User is offline   Maxim 

  • Dismember
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 1,079
  • Joined: 09-October 00
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Kyrgyzstan

Posted 31 August 2022 - 07:42 PM

Beat it. Final time was 12:22. The version I finished was 1.3 since I already had a large time investment in a game when 1.4 came out. But that means I have a reason to replay it soon.
1

#17 User is offline   Dr Lancer-X 

  • 電波、届いた?
  • Group: DigiStaff
  • Posts: 8,936
  • Joined: 20-March 02
  • Location:ur mom nmiaow

Posted 01 October 2022 - 07:09 AM

In the pyramid, if I get into a battle by opening a sarcophagus, the battle screen is completely black. This affects the latest version (1.6).
Posted Image
<Malwyn> Yes, yes. Don't worry I'd rather masturbate with broken glass than ask you for help again. :(
1

#18 User is offline   DDCecil 

  • Member
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 66
  • Joined: 25-July 01
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Idaho Falls, ID

Posted 01 October 2022 - 06:01 PM

View PostDr Lancer-X, on 01 October 2022 - 01:09 AM, said:

In the pyramid, if I get into a battle by opening a sarcophagus, the battle screen is completely black. This affects the latest version (1.6).


Okay, fixed it! Not sure how I missed that as the later ones worked fine. Also fixed a battle on the world map that could freeze the game, and a text error.
Whose ready for the first Seasonal Event at the Ancient Arena at the end of this month? It's not a big deal if you happen to miss them, but I thought they were kinda neat to add (or you could just adjust your system's clock and see them all, or just go into the editor...)

This post has been edited by DDCecil: 01 October 2022 - 08:38 PM

0

Share this topic:


Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users