Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Relic Rouge-like for MZX

#1 User is offline   FuriKuri 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 07 April 2007 - 01:28 AM

Since I'm having trouble getting stuff done in Fire Emblem, I took a break from it for a new project, and this one I've been making very good progress in.

Relic
A Rogue-like RPG game, set into the future. As aliens capture blessed Relics, when used all together can control nature in an attempt to destroy the human race, you must travel to the planet Ediam X to retrieve the last Relic, and destroy it before the aliens retrieve it. By destroying it, you weaken the power between all Relics, causing the rest to be useless, and stopping the invasion.
As you're exploring the depths of a highly radioactive and toxic environment, you are required to wear a radiation suit, equipped with a supply of oxygen. Be careful, as each move depletes your oxygen, so explore carefully. Once your oxygen is gone, your health depletes until you find more oxygen cells...or die.

This game is based off of another Rogue-like I've played, but with several changes to it. Each level is randomly generated, but as you explore deeper, the generator changes, creating higher values of treasure, as well as more dangerous creatures.

Completed:
-Dungeon generation
-Display bar and dungeon exploration
-Calculation of weight, based on energy/oxygen/health cells and grams of Copper/Silver/Gold (weapons and devices soon to be added in)
-Sweet title screen =O
-Sweet title
-Menus (just finishing up help menus)

Currently working on:
-First few aliens
-Item drops
-Upgrade system
-Shop
-Weapon/Device code
(more to be added to that list as I get to it)

Screenshots:
http://i13.photobuck...age7/rpgsc1.png
Screen of the main game...the brown dots by the player (gray man) are crumbs...a trail you make automatically to know where you have been. Also, the values for energy/oxygen/health are at their initial values, I've yet to put in code for oxygen depletion.

http://i13.photobuck...age7/rpgsc2.png
Title screen & Title

Any suggestions are welcome ^_^ once I get monsters, weapons and devices in, I'll release a simple demo for the basic gameplay. After that, I have to add in random items like cell clusters, datachips, and things like shops.
a.k.a. Pent @ IRC

user posted image

Currently working on: Relic

Fire Emblem: Ethereal Guardian (taking a break for now)

Currently working on: AI - how opposing units decide who to attack/where to run <-- need help with

#2 User is offline   CHEZZY 

• sometimes... I dream about cheese
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 07 April 2007 - 02:06 AM

Wow, thats an awesome story! I love roguelikes, keep up the good work on this.
user posted image
koji: SCRUMTRELLESCENT!

#3 User is offline   Micah 

• Ancient Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 07 April 2007 - 05:35 PM

Reminds me a lot of "Reaping the Dungeon".

Posted Image
♫ ▄ █ ▄ █ ▄ █ ▄

#4 User is offline   KKairos 

• not an actual chipmunk
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 07 April 2007 - 05:51 PM

I'm not gonna lie; this project looks pretty sweet.
darganflayer.net kaikairos.dev itch.io

#5 User is offline   Seventh Shade 

• willfully disreputable
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 07 April 2007 - 06:22 PM

Just make the weapons and aliens more interesting than the ones in Reaping the Dungeon. It does look pretty nice though.

#6 User is offline   FuriKuri 

• Pip

Posted 07 April 2007 - 06:33 PM

Micah, on Apr 7 2007, 12:35 PM, said:

Reminds me a lot of "Reaping the Dungeon".

Posted Image

=D

That's exactly what I made it like ^_^

It was my favorite game for many years, so I wanted to make one just like it

As for updates...

Today I've started working on weapons, and a few monsters...once I complete the battle system and do monster placement, the demo will be ready ^_^
a.k.a. Pent @ IRC

user posted image

Currently working on: AI - how opposing units decide who to attack/where to run <-- need help with

#7 User is offline   FuriKuri 

• Pip

Posted 08 April 2007 - 02:34 PM

Updates

I added in a few more menus...all work just fine ^_^ still finishing up the help menu, containing intro, display bar explanations, controls, and how to play. Just need to put that all together. Also finishing up testing on Save/Load menus.

So far, I have encountered a serious issue, and a little problem within programming...

Serious problem: Lately, MZX will occasionally close upon finishing dungeon generation. Looked through the code and can't find a cause...I'm gonna try various X/Y positions to start the player at, see if it has anything to do with displays, vlayer, etc.

Programming problem: I can't seem to get the robots to move in order. I want to set each robot (alien) a unique ID number, starting at 1, so that way I can go to each one, starting at ID 1 and moving up until I move each alien. I've tried &ROBOT_ID&, but then it gets confusing, since I gotta find out what ID the first alien generated is @_@ I just wanna make it so that during generation I can set each individual alien generated a special number. Any ideas on how to do this is appreciated ^_^

Tomorrow I've got a lot of stuff to complete for school, so I dunno if I'll have anything to post tomorrow...if I have enough free time and get these problems solved, I'll be able to release a demo in the next few days.
a.k.a. Pent @ IRC

user posted image

#8 User is offline   FuriKuri 

• Pip

Posted 18 April 2007 - 09:57 PM

Hey, the project may be on hold for a few days...I'll be up in Orlando until Sunday, Mu Alpha Theta States competition ^_^ (have to do Stat-related tests, but most of the time will be in my room playing the Wii and XBOX 360 ^_^ just hoping my roommate doesn't forget to bring Halo 2)

Anyway, a little report of my progress before I leave...

Updates
-Added some more items, and close to completed the weapon system. One device is finished, still gotta finish up the code to use it.
-Added teleportation talisman, using it send you a random unexplored space.

Issues
-Still can't find a way to speed up movement process...something I'll probably figure out while I'm up at Orlando.

Have a great weekend everyone, be back on Sunday!
a.k.a. Pent @ IRC

user posted image

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users