dMZX Forums: How'd you find MegaZeux and what were the first games you played? - dMZX Forums

If you are new to DMZX, please take the time to look over the FAQ pinned in General before asking a question.

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

How'd you find MegaZeux and what were the first games you played?

#31 User is offline   Tifas Revenge 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 28 November 2018 - 07:48 AM

I downloaded ZZT off a pre-WWW Bulletin Board System (BBS) down here in the San Diego area in California that had all kinds of shareware files hosted, including Apogee/ID Software Keen games, Wolfenstein 3d, Doom, Monster Bash, Duke Nukem 1, and much more! I only played Town of ZZT, but I eventually got into other ZZT games. I had an old 80486-SX-25Mhz PC which ran DOS 6.22 and Windows 3.1, which I had personally built myself from scratch. It had a 540MB hard drive, 4MB of RAM, 3.5 floppy disk, a 4X Teac CD-ROM drive, and a 14.4K modem.

I started playing Megazeux back in the late 90s (1996 I think), and I found this game by the UseNet Newsgroup alt.games.final-fantasy (AGFF). We had CSUSM as an ISP back then for dial-up through my Mom's work, and that's how I was able to navigate the web to download stuff on Usenet. My first MZX game was of course, Caverns of Zeux, but I also played Weirdness, and Engine by Luke Drelick. I also remember posting a few threads in there such a long time ago with my real name, and to my surprise, they are still there! I remember asking for help with something, and Luke Drelick himself replied to my thread and all, so I felt touched!

I'm now working in IT as a Sr. Systems Analyst, and I have been working the field since 2007, even though I built and have been building and upgrading PCs since the DOS days! I got the name "Tifas-Revenge" in 08/2004 on Diablo 2 ladder season 2 , so that's where my name comes from, and I ran Windows 98 at the time on an early Northwood 478-pin CPU Pentium 4 I had built.

That being said, I'm now planning on doing a Let's Play of Dr. Lancer-X game Megazeux Red, and since a lot of the older MZX games were based off of Final Fantasy games, I thought I would change around some of the music to some RPGs done around that era, but if this offends anyone though, I'll just revert the music back to its original state because I don't want to get off on the wrong foot. The game reminds me so much of Lufia 2 that I just was like "I have to use the Lufia 2 music theme for battles!" I mean, part of me wants to honor the golden age of Squaresoft gaming in the 90s and the beginnings of Megazeux. I remember the very first "Unofficial Squaresoft Homepage" by Andrew Vestal as he had a bunch of MODs, S3Ms, and MIDI files on there which were done excellently for the time. I also remember Luke D. creating FFEdventure and SDBOI which I really enjoyed a lot.

But hey, I cannot please everyone, and it would be the first Let's Play of Red, so depending on the reactions I get from everyone here or on Youtube, I'll modify how I play the game, the music, or anything else, as I do appreciate everyone's hard work on the game.

- Tifas-Revenge

This post has been edited by Tifas Revenge: 28 November 2018 - 08:22 AM

#32 User is offline   Dr Lancer-X 

• 電波、届いた?
  • Group: DigiStaff

Posted 28 November 2018 - 10:14 AM

If you put in the description that you replaced the music with music from Lufia 2 that's all right with me! It would probably work pretty well too, although I think you might run out of tunes for battles. Maybe get some tracks from the original Lufia game in there too.

Potential arrangement:
battle.ogg - Lufia 2: Battle Theme 1
black.ogg - Lufia 2: Four Gods
black2.ogg - Lufia 2: Final Battle
boss.ogg - Lufia 2: Battle Theme 2
boss2.ogg - Lufia 1: Battle #2
boss3.ogg - Lufia 2: Battle Theme 3
boss4.ogg - Lufia 1: Battle #3
boss5.ogg - ?
boss6.ogg - ?
boss6b.ogg - ?
cave.ogg - Lufia 2: Cave
dungeon.ogg - Lufia 2: Labyrinth
end.ogg - Lufia 2: To the Future
ghost.ogg - Lufia 2: The Abysmal Depths of the Ocean
heart.ogg - Lufia 2: Theme of Daos
inter.ogg - Lufia 1: Parting
inter2.ogg - Lufia 2: Parting
inter3.ogg - Lufia 2: The Prophet
lab.ogg - Lufia 1: The Ruins of Dread
ladder.ogg - Lufia 2: The Savior of Those on Earth
red.ogg - Lufia 2: Time of Judgement
silence.ogg - Leave the same
tower.ogg - Lufia 2: Watchtowers of the Seal
town.ogg - Lufia 2: Village
town2.ogg - Lufia 2: Port Towm
world.ogg - Lufia 2: The Earth
world2.ogg - Lufia 2: The Lost World

you'll also somehow have to hack the game to get Lufia 2: Autumn (the theme for the World's Hardest Puzzle) playing during this puzzle.
Posted Image
<Malwyn> Yes, yes. Don't worry I'd rather masturbate with broken glass than ask you for help again. :(

#33 User is offline   djtiesto 

• SHOPPING PLEASE
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 29 November 2018 - 11:52 PM

That's a really awesome post, Tifa's Revenge. Glad I was able to help you way back in the day and glad you enjoyed some of my other games. Have you played Kikan (Remake) yet? I released that around 10 years ago (it's my last full MZX release) and it's the culmination of everything I wanted to do with MZX since I first started with it.

I'd definitely be into seeing a let's play of Red.
Posted Image

Posted Image

#34 User is offline   Graham 

• . "@Master Procrastinator"
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 11 December 2018 - 03:20 AM

Here is Tifa's Revenge's Lets Play of Red. (Also made a separate post of this)
Currently working on Servo for MegaZeux, I hope to complete it by the middle of 2015? Who knows...

"Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you’re a mile away and you have their shoes."
-Jack Handey

#35 User is offline   RedDragon 

• Pip

Posted 12 December 2018 - 10:12 PM

I found Megazeux back in 2007, after discovering the existance of ZZT clones and derivates such as ZIG. I remember that the first Megazeux games I played were Flantasia by CJA and Asie is Leaving by asiekierka. I saw the many possibilites Megazeux offered over ZZT: customizable graphics, new terrains, blocks, objects and enemies, customizable viewport, animations, the powerful Robotic script language and many other things.

Flantasia was a cool game, I liked very much the platform levels, although they were really tough. I remember at the time I couldn't go past the beach one. Was able to go through it only now that I'm replaying it (after only 11 years!).

Asie is Leaving was a small game with lots of animations, as were its sequels. IMO they were not bad as most people say, I actually liked them, with the story, the animations, and the randomness they featured. I remember I was impressed that asiekierka created these games while he was a kid. When I found ZZT at about the same age I was only able to do a bunch of crappy worlds consisting in no more than 7-8 boards ridden with lions and tigers (discovered about objects only at a later time).

Other games I played were Flantasia 2, An Insane X-Mas, the George RPGs, Asie'school and Cameo (which was a very weird game).

Btw, I still haven't seen and played Caverns of Zeux. In the version of Megazeux I got at the time (version 2.81f, which I'm currently using) it wasn't included. I should give it a try, as well as trying out some SMZX games.

#36 User is offline   djtiesto 

• SHOPPING PLEASE
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 18 January 2019 - 03:12 AM

Whatever happened to Asiekierka? That guy was interesting, IIRC he was like 8 years old when he dropped his first game.
Posted Image

Posted Image

#37 User is offline   MicMotorhead 

• PipPip

Posted 21 January 2019 - 10:10 AM

I'm not sure how I bumped into MZX, but I think it was something like this:

1) Found ZZT on one of those old CDs with downloaded stuff from the internet that were sold in stores back when many people still didn't have connections.
2) Read about ZZT online on school computers or something and one day saw someone mention MZX. Then I probably downloaded it to a floppy and brought it home to the 486 computer I still used in the early 2000s.

I have been using ZZT since circa 2000/2001, MZX since about 2-3 years later, I think...?

Got a lot of old files floating around, but not much in a very playable state.

Another thing I remember is how I actually didn't like MZX for a long time. The game wasn't as fun with build ins as ZZT and I didn't know how to code. Then one day I pulled myself together, figured it out, and ZZT slowly got phased out for me over the next few years after that.

I'm not sure what games I played first. The way I remember it, Bernard the Bard was one of the games that motivated me to figure out how to do stuff myself, since it looked so impressive compared to ZZT games.

This post has been edited by MicMotorhead: 21 January 2019 - 10:13 AM

#38 User is online   Lachesis 

• the pinnacle of human emotion
  • Group: DigiStaff

Posted 21 January 2019 - 04:15 PM

djtiesto, on 17 January 2019 - 08:12 PM, said:

Whatever happened to Asiekierka? That guy was interesting, IIRC he was like 8 years old when he dropped his first game.

answering for him because I don't know if he checks this forum still. He's done work on MegaZeux. He created and maintains the 3DS port and IIRC has done some minor things with the NDS and PSP ports. He has in-progress Switch, Android, and Dreamcast ports (he's finishing up the Switch port now; not sure about Android; Dreamcast has issues with distribution we haven't worked out and also apparently other things to finish). Outside of MegaZeux, I'm not sure though.
"Let's just say I'm a GOOD hacker, AND virus maker. I'm sure you wouldn't like to pay for another PC would you?"

xx̊y (OST) - HELLQUEST (OST) - Zeux I: Labyrinth of Zeux (OST) (DOS OST)
w/ Lancer-X and/or asgromo: Pandora's Gate - Thanatos Insignia - no True(n) - For Elise OST
MegaZeux: Online Help File - Keycode Guide - Joystick Guide - Official GIT Repository

#39 User is offline   Graham 

• . "@Master Procrastinator"
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 21 January 2019 - 10:26 PM

Switch port?!?! 8^D
Currently working on Servo for MegaZeux, I hope to complete it by the middle of 2015? Who knows...

"Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you’re a mile away and you have their shoes."
-Jack Handey

#40 User is offline   Mr Goof 

• Pip

Posted 01 April 2019 - 09:29 PM

I was working for ADP at the time third shift on the mainframe and a lot of the work I did later in the night I was monitoring batch jobs, running it was boring :( , sooooo I would take my laptop in and mess around while on the job. I think I first came by Megazeux similar to Lachesis I had some sort of 1000 games CD around 2001. I remember going through running them most were crap, some really cool, I remember a ShareWare of Blades of Exile which I really enjoyed and later bought because it had an editor but never did anything with it. Now, sadly, the thing does not even run on new windows machines. At that time I had been looking for some sort of game creation system. In fact I loved the old ACS (Adventure Construction Set) created for the Commodore 64 way back in that day, .... my age is showing ... LOL!!! and I was searching the net for that system and the games created by users. I even had names from back in the day Liberians who had user created games I think there were 3 IBM, Apple, and Commodore 64. To this day I still have not found the user libraries created for it which is such a shame. I hate to see old software disappear and love that there is so much content on the net these days from the past with emulators, scanned magazines, utube videos, etc ... its awesome.

Then I came upon a gem Megazeux! :) The graphics were not like a lot of the other games but the fact that you could create with it was awesome. I began messing around with the free copy and really loved how easy it is to program compared to other systems of the day. Plus it was way more versatile you could pretty much create anything on it and if you look at the library of stuff on Digital MZX it supports what I just said. I think I came across Zeuxworld and downloaded the upgraded copy not sure what version number at the time. Then created a game which is still on this site Treasures & Monsters. It was really fun and I have yet to find another product I like better than this one. I find myself returning to it time and again to play games and still think about coding in it to this day. Actually, considering something in the works right now will see

#41 User is offline   hseiken 

• Pip

Posted 31 May 2020 - 05:08 AM

I found MZX in '96 and don't remember how, but I recall playing Bernard the Bard. It was a long time ago, and my memory is crap. I think originally I was looking for something that made creation of games easier from a creative standpoint. And no, I never released a demo or game back in the day, but I did enjoy the limitations of MZX at the time, especially the graphics. I always find limitations create situations of pure brilliance.
There is no Data, only Zuul.

#42 User is offline   MicMotorhead 

• PipPip

Posted 03 June 2020 - 05:33 AM

It was 2002-2003 or maybe 2004, so I know I couldn't have had internet. I must have either downloaded Megazeux in the computer room at school and brought it home on a 1.44 diskette, or maybe I found it on one of those CDs full of random crap from the internet that software stores sold in the 90s and still could have in bargain bins in the early 2000s. I'm at least pretty sure I got ZZT off one of those CDs a few years earlier.

For the first several years, I honestly didn't like Megazeux. I kept making games in ZZT because I guess I didn't like the built-ins in Megazeux and it took me a while to really bother learning the more complex coding.

I also think that the first several games I played in MZX were pretty broken, so it took a long while before I considered it worth much. But I did eventually end up loving the engine and eventually preferring it over ZZT.

This post has been edited by MicMotorhead: 03 June 2020 - 05:36 AM

#43 User is offline   KKairos 

• not an actual chipmunk
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 04 June 2020 - 08:52 PM

you don't happen to have old zzt files laying around that haven't been uploaded to worlds of zzt, do you?
darganflayer.net kaikairos.dev itch.io

#44 User is offline   darkhog 

• Pip

Posted 10 June 2020 - 01:18 PM

I've found it through ADG video, then coded SMZXDraw! because SMZX didn't have an adequate editor at that time in the main program (now it's better), then left the community because I got burned out, and now I'm back.
There are no impossible things, there is only lack of skills.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~-+=SMZXDraw! The ultimate tool for editing charsets and palettes for SMZX games - FEEDBACK NEEDED!!!=+-~
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Society consists mostly of jerks. We cannot neglect their involvement into building our civilization - without them we
wouldn't have such wonderful inventions like war, money, drugs... or Microsoft Windows.

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users