dMZX Forums: Engine - dMZX Forums

If you are new to DMZX, please take the time to look over the FAQ pinned in General before asking a question.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Engine vroom vroom

#1 User is offline   Baby Bonnie Hood 

• Neatsome!
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 03 September 2010 - 08:06 AM

Having replayed Engine 1 (remix, not original) and 2, I'm wondering about a few things.

1. Why is the series called Engine? Does it refer to vehicular engines? The various game engines the games employ? What? It makes about as much sense as naming a comedy cameo series after a cylindrical container.

2. Holy shit I'm fighting Degeneration-X! It's like a dream come true! The only way this would be so much better is if they actually employed their rasslin' moves instead of just shooting and moving like typical MZX bosses derp. So, why didn't they?

3. Why am I killing Engine 1's former heroes? The hell? Cecil goes through all that trouble, and then apparently went mad with power? Kane and Andrea attack me for no good reason? And Dan doesn't even bat an eye at Kane's death? I guess that means I'll be killing Abigail/Lynne in Engine 3. Hooray!

There are more, but I'll leave it at those three for now.
Posted Image

#2 User is offline   Goshi 

• I'm dreadful of DRAGON.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 03 September 2010 - 07:42 PM

Why am I killing Engine 1's former heroes? The hell? Cecil goes through all that trouble, and then apparently went mad with power? Kane and Andrea attack me for no good reason? And Dan doesn't even bat an eye at Kane's death? I guess that means I'll be killing Abigail/Lynne in Engine 3. Hooray!

Why not? It's a pre-Kikan remake Luke Drelick storyline. Nothing is supposed to make proper sense! Also Kane and Andrea are optional. you don't have to kill them unless you want the silly expanded ending or the uber character.

#3 User is offline   Baby Bonnie Hood 

• Neatsome!
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 04 September 2010 - 02:14 AM

View PostGoshi, on 03 September 2010 - 07:42 PM, said:

It's a pre-Kikan remake Luke Drelick storyline. Nothing is supposed to make proper sense!

I guess that's the same answer to the two games' geographic inconsistencies. Hey look Dan's house is suddenly beyond the volcano now and an entire forest somehow relocated to an island (although technically the forest in E1rmx is the copy/paste from E2).

Alright, I'll ask something more sensible. What's Drelick's current opinion on game consoles? Is the Xbox line still a pile of fail in his eyes?
Posted Image

#4 User is offline   djtiesto 

• SHOPPING PLEASE
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 14 September 2010 - 02:36 AM

1. Why is the series called Engine? Does it refer to vehicular engines? The various game engines the games employ? What? It makes about as much sense as naming a comedy cameo series after a cylindrical container.

No idea, it's just that, a name. Don't know what I was thinking when I made the game 14 years ago :pirate:

2. Holy shit I'm fighting Degeneration-X! It's like a dream come true! The only way this would be so much better is if they actually employed their rasslin' moves instead of just shooting and moving like typical MZX bosses derp. So, why didn't they?

Laziness probably.

3. Why am I killing Engine 1's former heroes? The hell? Cecil goes through all that trouble, and then apparently went mad with power? Kane and Andrea attack me for no good reason? And Dan doesn't even bat an eye at Kane's death? I guess that means I'll be killing Abigail/Lynne in Engine 3. Hooray!

No idea, it was a cool idea at the time I guess. Cecil goes mad with power, Kane and Andrea think you are defiling their forest.

And as for systems... I think all 3 of the consoles are fail this time around :naughty:

360 - hardware-wise it's terrible. Breaks down with RROD. I'm not big on online gaming, nor the 'dudebro' gaming that the Xbox demographic enjoys. Bought it early on for the Mistwalker games, but don't really turn it on much anymore aside from playing the Cave shooters on the thing and the occasional XBLA game.

PS3 - has some great exclusives, but came out overpriced and some of the multiplat games are weaker than on 360. Still overall I like it better than the 360 and it seems that it's where the bulk of Japanese console development went/is still going.

Wii - a wasteland apart from Nintendo-published games. It's not even the lack of HD that gets to me. Started off with promise but squandered everything left and right. Virtual Console? Awesome at first but Nintendo left it to die. 3rd party software? Little King Story and Kororinpa are good but then... uhh. RPGs? Xenoblade and Tales of Graces are still stuck in Japan with very little chance of localization. Nintendo's first party games are great, and Sin and Punishment 2 is fantastic. But for every Sin and Punishment 2, there are 10 "Just Dance" games and 20 "Petz Dolphinz" shovelware titles.

My favorite platforms this time around are the DS and lately the PSP. Much more interesting 'niche' games, and lots of games in genres I care about (2D platformer, RPG, quirky offbeat games). If I hate any gaming platform it's the iPhone :confused:
Posted Image

Posted Image

#5 User is offline   CJA 

• «≡larch bucket≡»
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 14 September 2010 - 03:18 AM

View Postdjtiesto, on 13 September 2010 - 10:36 PM, said:

360 - hardware-wise it's terrible. Breaks down with RROD. I'm not big on online gaming, nor the 'dudebro' gaming that the Xbox demographic enjoys.

Dude, could you elaborate on what this is? 'Dudebro' sounds exactly like the sort of thing I would enjoy, bro.
Need a dispenser here.

#6 User is offline   Dr Lancer-X 

• 電波、届いた?
  • Group: DigiStaff

Posted 14 September 2010 - 04:52 AM

View Postdjtiesto, on 14 September 2010 - 12:36 PM, said:

My favorite platforms this time around are the DS and lately the PSP. Much more interesting 'niche' games, and lots of games in genres I care about (2D platformer, RPG, quirky offbeat games).

Got a PSP for Second Novel, never looked back.
Almost tempted to get a DS for 999, not quite sure though.
Posted Image
<Malwyn> Yes, yes. Don't worry I'd rather masturbate with broken glass than ask you for help again. :(

#7 User is offline   Baby Bonnie Hood 

• Neatsome!
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 14 September 2010 - 04:57 AM

View Postdjtiesto, on 14 September 2010 - 02:36 AM, said:

Cecil goes mad with power, Kane and Andrea think you are defiling their forest.

While I'm all for continuity, this does kinda ruin Engine 1's best end (Say, didn't that mention a child that Cecil and Lynne had? Never came up again as far as I can tell...). All that work, and then I slaughter half of the old cast. Hooray?

I really wish Dan said something about the death of his Big Green Machine Dragoon pal, but I guess something wrecked their friendship between the two Engines.

...why am I even nitpicking over Engine? Am I that bored?
Posted Image

#8 User is offline   Dr Lancer-X 

• 電波、届いた?

Posted 14 September 2010 - 05:22 AM

when is engine 3 coming out?
Posted Image
<Malwyn> Yes, yes. Don't worry I'd rather masturbate with broken glass than ask you for help again. :(

#9 User is offline   Baby Bonnie Hood 

• Neatsome!
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 14 September 2010 - 06:08 AM

When Cans 4 and Renee the Rogue are released.
Posted Image

#10 User is offline   djtiesto 

• SHOPPING PLEASE
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 16 September 2010 - 01:05 AM

View PostCJA, on 14 September 2010 - 04:18 AM, said:

Dude, could you elaborate on what this is? 'Dudebro' sounds exactly like the sort of thing I would enjoy, bro.

Basically, your typical military-themed FPS or third person shooter game, lots of bald space marines and excessively jacked Fred Durst-lookalikes blowing up aliens or terrorists and shouting shit like "tango down!". Characters are usually stereotypes like the hip, smack talkin' black dude, chickenshit newbie, and grizzled veteran. Usually employs a cover system and the screen turns red rendering you unable to see shit whenever you are dying. Popular with the Xbox 360 demographic, especially racist 8 year olds who love to drop nbombs while playing on Xbox Live. See games like Gears of War series, Call of Duty series, Halo, etc.

This post has been edited by djtiesto: 16 September 2010 - 01:06 AM

Posted Image

Posted Image

#11 User is offline   CJA 

• «≡larch bucket≡»
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 17 September 2010 - 03:23 AM

View Postdjtiesto, on 15 September 2010 - 09:05 PM, said:

Basically, your typical military-themed FPS or third person shooter game, lots of bald space marines and excessively jacked Fred Durst-lookalikes blowing up aliens or terrorists and shouting shit like "tango down!". Characters are usually stereotypes like the hip, smack talkin' black dude, chickenshit newbie, and grizzled veteran. Usually employs a cover system and the screen turns red rendering you unable to see shit whenever you are dying. Popular with the Xbox 360 demographic, especially racist 8 year olds who love to drop nbombs while playing on Xbox Live. See games like Gears of War series, Call of Duty series, Halo, etc.

Oh. ...Nevermind what I said, then.
Need a dispenser here.

#12 User is offline   Baby Bonnie Hood 

• Neatsome!
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 06 December 2010 - 03:08 PM

I got bored and decided to play Engine: The Original Attack (made it as far as the Plateau, then some moving water got me stuck). It's practically identical to The Remix Attack with one exception: I can't figure out how to get Lynne. There's no Outlands in The Original Attack, and my search in the editor for anything that would enable the Lynne flag proved futile. I did notice that a bit of the Cascade Caverns seems to be incomplete though, which makes me wonder if perhaps she wasn't implemented or something...
Posted Image

#13 User is offline   Dr Lancer-X 

• 電波、届いた?

Posted 06 December 2010 - 07:11 PM

View PostBaby Bonnie Hood, on 07 December 2010 - 01:08 AM, said:

I got bored and decided to play Engine: The Original Attack (made it as far as the Plateau, then some moving water got me stuck). It's practically identical to The Remix Attack with one exception: I can't figure out how to get Lynne. There's no Outlands in The Original Attack, and my search in the editor for anything that would enable the Lynne flag proved futile. I did notice that a bit of the Cascade Caverns seems to be incomplete though, which makes me wonder if perhaps she wasn't implemented or something...

It's a little bit obscure, because she's more of an easter egg than she was in the remix. From memory, first you've got to talk to her in Viera Castle, then at night Cecil mentions he likes her, then the next day when you go to the volcano, choose NOT to go in, go back to Viera Castle and talk to her. Answer yes to her question. Then she shows up on the first level of the Plateau.

She's still necessary to get the best ending.
Posted Image

#14 User is offline   djtiesto 

• SHOPPING PLEASE
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 09 December 2010 - 04:29 AM

I think the original version of Engine 1 is worth playing just because it has a completely different soundtrack than the remake :confused:
Posted Image

Posted Image

#15 User is offline   Baby Bonnie Hood 

• Neatsome!
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 09 December 2010 - 07:27 AM

No other game uses Enter Sandman as a town theme :confused:

I've been trying to finish The Original Attack without saving, but the Plateau keeps screwing me over. First it was the moving water, then it was the falling platforms that don't respawn, and just now I blew up the boulders that were required for a puzzle. Stupid stupid stupid...

Oh well, I doubt I'd get the best end anyway because I did what Lancer-X mentioned and I didn't see Lynne in the Plateau. Even though according to the coding, that should've worked. Weird.

Edit: Ohh, that's why. The coding in the Volcano cutscene set the Lynne flag to 0 no matter what. Which means that getting the best end is impossible :x

This post has been edited by Baby Bonnie Hood: 09 December 2010 - 07:33 AM

Posted Image

#16 User is offline   Dr Lancer-X 

• 電波、届いた?

Posted 09 December 2010 - 08:42 AM

Edit: Ohh, that's why. The coding in the Volcano cutscene set the Lynne flag to 0 no matter what. Which means that getting the best end is impossible :x

That IS interesting. I remember getting Lynne and everything though... I'll have a look myself.

EDIT: Nope. Even doing a search with a hex editor, the only places the 'll' counter is referenced are ones I've already accounted for. It does indeed appear to be impossible to get Lynne in the original game. I probably cheated to get her originally, then.
Posted Image

#17 User is offline   Baby Bonnie Hood 

• Neatsome!
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 09 December 2010 - 11:20 AM

There's a "set ll to 0" line right after the teleport player when you say no at the Volcano. This is straight out of the dMZX box, no edits.
Posted Image

#18 User is offline   NoahSoft 

• DMZX Fo' Life
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 31 December 2010 - 10:33 PM

i like engine 1 a lot... one of the best story driven games ive played.

but another question for the de facto director of Duky Inc: Any release date on Saga of Dan yet?

:confused:
<=D I AM A ROCKER. I ROCK OUT.<=D

#19 User is offline   Baby Bonnie Hood 

• Neatsome!
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 01 January 2011 - 04:30 PM

Engine's story isn't exactly a masterpiece, and the continuity between the two Engines is... iffy.

But fun games are still fun.

Posted Image

#20 User is offline   NoahSoft 

• DMZX Fo' Life
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 04 January 2011 - 07:34 PM

engine 1's story is masterpiece quality to me... i think stories where characters personalities are fully realized and etc. FUCK NEVER MIND

<=D I AM A ROCKER. I ROCK OUT.<=D

#21 User is offline   Dr Lancer-X 

• 電波、届いた?

Posted 05 January 2011 - 12:07 AM

I actually liked Engine 2 more.
Posted Image

#22 User is online   Lachesis 

• the pinnacle of human emotion

Posted 05 January 2011 - 01:35 AM

Neither interested me :confused:
"Let's just say I'm a GOOD hacker, AND virus maker. I'm sure you wouldn't like to pay for another PC would you?"

xx̊y (OST) - HELLQUEST (OST) - Zeux I: Labyrinth of Zeux (OST) (DOS OST)
w/ Lancer-X and/or asgromo: Pandora's Gate - Thanatos Insignia - no True(n) - For Elise OST
MegaZeux: Online Help File - Keycode Guide - Joystick Guide - Official GIT Repository

#23 User is offline   CJA 

• «≡larch bucket≡»
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 06 January 2011 - 07:52 AM

i wasn't old enough to really care about stories when i played engine or engine 2.

hint: i'm sort of still not old enough :confused:
Need a dispenser here.

#24 User is offline   djtiesto 

• SHOPPING PLEASE
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 10 January 2011 - 02:08 AM

View PostNoahSoft, on 31 December 2010 - 10:33 PM, said:

i like engine 1 a lot... one of the best story driven games ive played.

but another question for the de facto director of Duky Inc: Any release date on Saga of Dan yet?

Hopefully sometime by the end of this year... I'm actually making some very good progress; I have most of the engine done. By the end of next week, I should have the main engine done, apart from the Save/Load screen and a little QTE style minigame at the end. Then it's just writing out XML scripts (I came up with an event scripting system fairly similar to MZX to make levels/objects much easier on me), and fleshing out the Content Pipeline, with pics and music and stuff. The hardest part is to try and find people to do some original choons for my game.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users