dMZX Forums: Oizys - dMZX Forums

Message from the Management

When you finish a new game, demo, engine, or utility, the first thing to do is submit it to the archive for approval. (Log in first, then Upload a New Game from the sidebar.) Then feel free to post about it in this forum; in fact, please continue to do this. This is so people will actually know about your game and play it. As nice as it is to have archive uploads automated, it's not going to help much if no one knows you have a new game to play.

When uploading your games to the archive, please zip up your game using the .ZIP format, even if it is just a .MZX file. As for less popular formats (such as RAR and 7Z), games uploaded in these formats will be rejected. This is because as wonderful as those compression algorithms might be, ZIP is a near universal compression standard, and the only one that will work with the in-game archive browser planned for MZX.

You can also attach your game to a new thread in this forum. In this case, you can use whatever compression format you find suitable. NOTE: Games posted this way won't be put into the archive unless submitted to the archive proper, or unless the author states he/she wants the game in.

Lastly, we suggest you post a suitable screenshot of your submission (in PNG format) along with the game.
Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Oizys

#1 User is offline   Lachesis 

• the pinnacle of human emotion
  • Group: DigiStaff

Posted 24 December 2009 - 09:15 PM

It wasn't going anywhere, so I figured I'd release it now and then update it later when/if I get the time and motivation. There are a couple of parts which completely reek of incompleteness, sorry. :x

Here it is (21.4 MB)

- If the game's too hard for you, go to the Options menu, where you can change the difficulty or turn on infinite continues.
- There's joystick support, which I believe that Pancake tested and had no issues.
- Boss mode can be unlocked by selecting a hidden option in the Credits screen. You get all of the weapons and some health tanks, and have to beat of the bosses with no continues.
- The weapons you get depend on what choices you make in the dialogues.
- Levels 2 and 3 have shortcuts (I'm sure many will be grateful for the one in level 3) but they don't work in Arcade mode.
- There's an item you can pick up in Level 1 that can help a lot later (and you can't beat Arcade mode without it).
- Slow computers and this game don't mix very well :S

I was going to upload it to the archive, but it spat out an error and my browser froze.
Fatal error: Call to undefined function uploadprogress_get_info() in /home2/digita39/public_html/gambit/api2/gambit.uploads.class.php on line 40

"Let's just say I'm a GOOD hacker, AND virus maker. I'm sure you wouldn't like to pay for another PC would you?"

xx̊y (OST) - HELLQUEST (OST) - Zeux I: Labyrinth of Zeux (OST) (DOS OST)
w/ Lancer-X and/or asgromo: Pandora's Gate - Thanatos Insignia - no True(n) - For Elise OST
MegaZeux: Online Help File - Keycode Guide - Joystick Guide - Official GIT Repository

#2 User is offline   T-Bone 

• Wastelander
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 25 December 2009 - 01:20 AM

21 MBs yummy
Youtube - teabone3 - Twitter - teabone3 - Twitch - teabone3

#3 User is offline   T-Bone 

• Wastelander
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 25 December 2009 - 04:20 AM

The reverse controls for scrolling on the menu screen at the start, i felt was a bit awkward.

The graphics are quite nice and animations as well. I found the jumps to platforms quite tricky. Really gotta time them. I died maybe 15 times in the second stage falling off the same platform >_<

This post has been edited by T-Bone: 25 December 2009 - 04:44 AM

#4 User is offline   Risu2112 

• I can't get the top off this bottle
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 25 December 2009 - 04:55 AM

View PostT-Bone, on Dec 24 2009, 08:20 PM, said:

The reverse controls for scrolling on the menu screen at the start, i felt was a bit awkward.

The graphics are quite nice and animations as well. I found the jumps to platforms quite tricky. Really gotta time them. I died maybe 15 times in the second stage falling off the same platform >_<

Yes ffs increase the float time, 95% of deaths being caused because you jumped one cycle to fast or two slow is retarded.
Respond! Vibrate! Feed back! Resonate!
<Cybersilver> "All my sugestions are for FUTER VERSIONS. Say it with me Fu-ter futer. Yep..."
9-21-2009, SFMZX game play video: HERE
Risu2112

#5 User is offline   Lachesis 

Posted 26 December 2009 - 05:10 AM

good thing you gave up before the game got hard ken

As T-Bone had the courtesy not to call my game retarded, I'll note here that neither I nor my beta testers (as far as I know) had any problems with the platforms' speed, or else I'd have slowed them down more. They are a little slower in the easier difficulty modes -- which difficulty are you playing in?
"Let's just say I'm a GOOD hacker, AND virus maker. I'm sure you wouldn't like to pay for another PC would you?"

w/ Lancer-X and/or asgromo: Pandora's Gate - Thanatos Insignia - no True(n) - For Elise OST
MegaZeux: Online Help File - Keycode Guide - Joystick Guide - Official GIT Repository

#6 User is offline   Quasar84 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 26 December 2009 - 06:42 AM

Ow ow ow. This game actually has a lot of pretty good things going for it though; if it didn't I wouldn't have bothered posting, so bear than in mind as I talk.

It's fun, the core is solid enough. The enemies and especially bosses clearly had work put into them, they move in interesting ways and have satisfying enough attacks. They change color as they get closer to death, which is a nice touch. I didn't find the jumping that bad. Certainly I would like a more natural feeling jump curve - the top of your jumps as it is feels like gravity said "You're mine now %$^!&!" and you instantly reach your terminal velocity. This is only really problematic during the second half of one of the stages though - it was OK enough for stage 2. Also the whole game feels like it's playing one speed level faster than I would expect, but I'll chalk that up to a matter of taste. In any event, I made it to boss 3, so I'm not especially complaining.

Unless I'm missing something however, this game however has at least two cripping design flaws. The first one is the disappearing blocks of level 3. The first time was irritating enough. But the second, much longer stretch just about made me quit playing. It didn't even make me mad or anything, the way a good but very challenging game does - this feeling was an emotionally detached acceptance, something like "Not fair. Quit playing." Not "impossible", I could envision doing it. But the amount of effort and precision required just seemed too much to be worth it. There's tons of jumps you can't really be expected to do without getting far enough in the pattern to see them at least once, and the timing is merciless because you have to hang time - and once you fail, you have to start over. And it's long. Doing the whole thing without ever making a mistake will require learning the sequence pretty thoroughly. I did it on normal difficulty, but I certainly didn't enjoy it - which is a shame because the rest of the game had been fine. It actually took me longer than the entire game up to that point to do that sequence, too. I DID eventually do it though.

And my reward for my persistence was problem 2, asbestos. Can you actually hurt this boss if you run out of hammer? I couldn't figure out how. And it was extremely hard to accurately hit the boss with the hammer, meaning that my many, many attempts ended up with me exhausting all my energy and waiting for Asbestos to very very slowly kill me so I could try again. And miss, and fail. I gave up here after entirely too many tries. If "jump and hit asbestos with the hammer and don't miss" really is the only strategy here, I doubt I'll be coming back to finish your game, sorry. That's just too irritating to be fun.

I tried the last boss sequence in the editor, it was fun. Phase 1 was cake, as was clearly the intention. The Zelda 2 boss for Phase 2 was enjoyable enough. I got to phase 3 (and doing it in the editor where I didn't get any potions made it a little tricky to do so) but nothing would happen. The boss just laughed there with that cringeworthy sound effect over and over - I assume I needed one of the special weapons to actually get thigns going? Or maybe what I was supposed to do was explained in the post level 3 dialogue - didnt' actually get to see it, you realize.

So yeah, I know it's not a long game and difficulty can be used to extend it, but this took it too far. As an aside, I assume L I T T L E D A M A G E is a reference to L I T T L E M O N E Y ? I mean it was an OK sort of reference, it's just very...random to reference that of all things?

#7 User is offline   Risu2112 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 26 December 2009 - 10:26 AM

View PostKokuchou, on Dec 25 2009, 09:10 PM, said:

good thing you gave up before the game got hard ken

As T-Bone had the courtesy not to call my game retarded, I'll note here that neither I nor my beta testers (as far as I know) had any problems with the platforms' speed, or else I'd have slowed them down more. They are a little slower in the easier difficulty modes -- which difficulty are you playing in?

To be clear, your game is far from retarded. But the almost complete lack of float time or any sort of parabolic flight path is very retarded. Go play some platformers, the only ones that have upupupdowndowndown jumping are crummy MZX platformers and some titles on the action 52 cartridge.

Also to be fair, you're catching heat from me because this is an incredibly common game mechanic that almost every one here seems committed to screwing up. It's not so much about the speed of the jump, it's the inverted "V" flight path, go run and jump your self, your jump doesn't look like that, make it more of an inverted "U"

I would like a more natural feeling jump curve - the top of your jumps as it is feels like gravity said "You're mine now %$^!&!" and you instantly reach your terminal velocity.

^ This ^

EDIT: Any way, sorry about the initial one dimentional reply, if I thought this was crap I wouldn't have dignified it with a response. There is a lot of good in here.

EDIT EDIT: it might not seem like a big deal, but the impact on the gameplay is HUGE. Most noticeable on either narrow ledge jumping, and when you jump UP to a platform (especially one that requires every character of jump height) With out a parabolic path you have maybe a 2 character window to start the jump from, and you need to run to that point and hit jump to make sure your keyboards auto-repeat is spooled up.

This post has been edited by Risu2112: 26 December 2009 - 10:38 AM

<Cybersilver> "All my sugestions are for FUTER VERSIONS. Say it with me Fu-ter futer. Yep..."
Risu2112

#8 User is offline   Lachesis 

Posted 26 December 2009 - 05:10 PM

The disappearing blocks can be skipped with a shortcut very close to the start of the second half of the level (remember the alcove right before the first set of disappearing blocks? You need to get into there. Watch the area to the right of it closely). I can't deny that I was being a huge sadistic jerk when I made that stretch at the end of level 3. :[

Asbestos (and Correx) can be hit with every weapon, but it's a lot harder to use a weapon that wasn't intended to be used against it. I'm going to test that right now, I thought the hammer was powerful enough to hold its own against Asbestos (update: no, it isn't).

The Boss has to be hit using the jumpboard or the weapon that you get in the cutscene before the final boss sequence before he'll actually attack you, so yeah, you really can't do anything to him from the editor.

the jumping is parabolic, as a matter of fact O_O

And the game is packed with little references to things, ranging from games to a webcomic to Terryn's DoZ judging comments about my game :-)

Changes:
- Hammer is more powerful
- Jumpboard is easier to get to
- Platform delay will be changed from 40-5x cycles to 60-10x cycles, that should be slow enough. <.<

Not Changed:
- The player's physics. Too lazy to tweak it right now :S

Edit: I just remembered this, but when you're playing from the editor, it's always in Easy mode. You might want to try again once I upload an update :-)

This post has been edited by Kokuchou: 26 December 2009 - 05:35 PM

#9 User is offline   Risu2112 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 27 December 2009 - 02:39 AM

View PostKokuchou, on Dec 26 2009, 09:10 AM, said:

the jumping is parabolic, as a matter of fact O_O

No it isn't, it looks like there is a tiny delay with you reach your apex but thats it. It's obvious you know at least how to simulate inertia (the purple zombie things in level one) it should be simple to adapt something like that to jumping as gravity
Risu2112

#10 User is offline   Micah 

• Ancient Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 27 December 2009 - 03:59 AM

Correx?
♫ ▄ █ ▄ █ ▄ █ ▄

#11 User is offline   Lachesis 

Posted 27 December 2009 - 06:59 AM

It is. You'd think my statement is factual, as I did program this game, and I would know whether or not the jumping is parabolic. Think of that, programmers knowing how their own games work. :confused:

You probably can't see the parabola because game's physics are measured in 10ths of pixels but can only be displayed on-screen per char (80x140 units). I'd suggest that you go through the code and see for yourself, but my code's probably as annoying to read as Megazeux code can get (though if you'd like, it's in robot.txt). Another issue with the perception of the player's physics is that, as it is in what is posted above, it only takes around 14 frames for the player to reach maximum velocity from the apex. Increasing maximum velocity would give me a whole slew of different problems, so I have instead opted to lower the player's gravity and adjust the jump velocity accordingly. The gravity's not getting lowered any more than .2 pixels per frame, though, unless I redesign all of the levels. I'll probably add an option in the menu for messing around with this, anyhow.

And yeah, I stole Correx's name from Metroid Fusion. On the topic of boss names, the Super Hard Bros. were originally going to be The Paulguys, and BLAM stands for Big Lipped Alligator Moment.

Uhh, quote here about not telling people how they programmed their own games without even looking at the code yourself.

This post has been edited by Kokuchou: 27 December 2009 - 07:01 AM

#12 User is offline   Risu2112 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 27 December 2009 - 08:35 AM

Alright fair enough, I've analyzed the jump further

Cycle / height (chars)
0 / 0
1 / 1
2 / 2
3 / 3
4 / 4
5 / 4
6 / 4
7 / 4
8 / 4
9 / 3
10 / 2
11 / 0

which is up,up,up,up,wait,wait,wait,wait,wait,down,downx2, done

Even if your method is attempting to produce a parabola, the result is not parabolic by a wide margin.

Actually going in and looking at the frames brings up several issues,
#1, your accent and decent trajectory are completely different, so if you are attempting to model physics or gravity, you've done so incorrectly.
#2, the entire jump takes only 11 cycles, which on speed two (your game's default speed) is like less than 1/4th (almost 1/6th actually) of a second to complete a same elevation jump. This is absurdly fast, tripling this speed would still slightly fast...
#3, fixed jump height, (player can't control accent)

So either you had a poor vision for the jumping mechanic, our your actual vision was not properly realized here. I would say it would be well worth it to revisit your jumping solution.

11 CYCLES

This post has been edited by Risu2112: 27 December 2009 - 08:37 AM

Risu2112

#13 User is offline   Lachesis 

Posted 27 December 2009 - 04:51 PM

This is the counter 3_18 (the player's vertical position) converted to a string and written to a file every cycle. It was taken with gravity at .8 pixels per frame per frame and jump velocity at 9.6 pixels per frame (the release version uses gravity at 1.0 pixels per frame per frame and jump velocity at 11.0 pixels per frame). The version I uploaded uses .9 and 104.

0 ;first frame, player doesn't exist yet
1680;starting position, y=12 chars
1688;dx=8, dv=8
1704;dx=16, dv=8
1728;dx=24, dv=8, etc
2304;ground level
2304;the last frame before I press jump
2216;dx=-88, dv=-96+8
2136;dx=-80, dv=8
2064;dx=-72, dv=8
2000;dx=-64, dv=8
1944;dx=-56, dv=8
1896;dx=-48, dv=8
1856;dx=-40, dv=8
1824;dx=-32, dv=8
1800;dx=-24, dv=8
1784;dx=-16, dv=8
1776;dx=-8, dv=8
1776;dx=0, dv=8.  This is the apex
1784;dx=8, dv=8
1800;dx=16, dv=8
1824;dx=I think you get the idea
2304;the player has reached the ground again.  22 jump frames, more than enough to do anything in my game.

To be honest, I didn't put much thought into the engine's physics, and it's one of the few things that *hasn't* really changed since the DoZ.

edit: Game (2.34 MB) Music (19.1 MB, don't bother if you already downloaded the game)

This post has been edited by Kokuchou: 27 December 2009 - 05:46 PM

#14 User is offline   Risu2112 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 27 December 2009 - 06:12 PM

View PostKokuchou, on Dec 27 2009, 08:51 AM, said:

This is the counter 3_18 (the player's vertical position) converted to a string and written to a file every cycle. It was taken with gravity at .8 pixels per frame per frame and jump velocity at 9.6 pixels per frame (the release version uses gravity at 1.0 pixels per frame per frame and jump velocity at 11.0 pixels per frame). The version I uploaded uses .9 and 104.

0;first frame, player doesn't exist yet
1680;starting position, y=12 chars
1688;dx=8, dv=8
1704;dx=16, dv=8
1728;dx=24, dv=8, etc
2304;ground level
2304;the last frame before I press jump
2216;dx=-88, dv=-96+8
2136;dx=-80, dv=8
2064;dx=-72, dv=8
2000;dx=-64, dv=8
1944;dx=-56, dv=8
1896;dx=-48, dv=8
1856;dx=-40, dv=8
1824;dx=-32, dv=8
1800;dx=-24, dv=8
1784;dx=-16, dv=8
1776;dx=-8, dv=8
1776;dx=0, dv=8.  This is the apex
1784;dx=8, dv=8
1800;dx=16, dv=8
1824;dx=I think you get the idea
2304;the player has reached the ground again.  22 jump frames, more than enough to do anything in my game.

To be honest, I didn't put much thought into the engine's physics, and it's one of the few things that *hasn't* really changed since the DoZ.

edit: Game (2.34 MB) Music (19.1 MB, don't bother if you already downloaded the game)

This is a huge improvement, The difference between 6 jumps per second and 3 jumps per sec is the difference between "random luck" gameplay and "twitch" gameplay. Your trajectory also feels much more predictable and balanced now.
I'd say 30-40 frames per jump would still be quite nice here. Might actually not be a bad idea to use lower constants on the easy difficulties to stretch the jump out? That way if you really still want to expose the player to very difficult jumping you can. I still went ahead and built a bridge for the level 3 block clusterfuck though. :confused:
Risu2112

#15 User is offline   Lachesis 

Posted 27 December 2009 - 07:20 PM

Risu, there's a SHORTCUT past that, as I've said like five times :confused:

edit: actually, I've found that the bosses get harder when the gravity's decreased (because of no jump control -- you can experiment a bit with what I was trying to do about jump control by going into robot.txt and uncommenting/adding proper quote marks to lines 503 and 506).

Is there any decent free windows screen-capturing software, by the way?

This post has been edited by Kokuchou: 27 December 2009 - 07:24 PM

#16 User is offline   Risu2112 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 27 December 2009 - 09:18 PM

Other than F12 and print screen? The hardest boss in the first version was the bat-eyeball one, and if anything he's much more manageable with the increased float time (higher chance of scoring a hit with the basic sword).

You could give some jump control by incrementing velocity for the first couple of frames of the jump, but you would have to be careful to manage accent properly.
Risu2112

#17 User is offline   Lachesis 

Posted 27 December 2009 - 10:31 PM

Correx gets harder for me, at least (in hard Arcade mode, I can't beat him anymore, but Arcade mode's only purpose is pretty much to be painfully difficult).

I meant something that will capture video actually :-o

Also, I'll experiment around with something like that. What I was thinking was forcing the player's velocity to stay at the initial velocity for the first few frames of the jump while the key is still being held (this wouldn't be hard to implement).

edit: I don't want to upload another copy, so if you want to mess around with controlled jumping, here's what I have so far:

1) go to the board 'level_1', edit the robot at 3,0
2) change "&robot_id&_4" to 10 (gravity) and "&robot_id&_5" to 60 (initial velocity), you can try other values too
3) insert this line right after line 527 in robot.txt:
dec "&cid&_19" "(('key44?'>0)a('key44?'<10)a('&cid&_19'<0)*'&cid&_4')"

The 10 in this line can be changed depending on how long you want the control to last.

This post has been edited by Kokuchou: 27 December 2009 - 10:37 PM

#18 User is offline   T-Bone 

• Wastelander
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 30 December 2009 - 05:48 AM

One of the main issues I was having with the platforms games I made was actually emulating a smooth bended jump. Its quite difficult to emulate in MegaZeux. So I wouldn't say its "retarded" if it doesn't emulate this exactly...
Youtube - teabone3 - Twitter - teabone3 - Twitch - teabone3

#19 User is offline   Risu2112 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 30 December 2009 - 09:20 AM

View PostT-Bone, on Dec 29 2009, 09:48 PM, said:

One of the main issues I was having with the platforms games I made was actually emulating a smooth bended jump. Its quite difficult to emulate in MegaZeux. So I wouldn't say its "retarded" if it doesn't emulate this exactly...

No, it's incredibly easy to do at even very low skill level a complete novice can emulate a fixed parabolic jump by adding wait 1's to the accent/decent profile.
:jump
/nnnsss
end

vs.
:jump
/niniiniiiisiisis
end

kokuchou Implemented a perfectly fine system from the start, it was just tuned so poorly as to completely obscure the method.
Also, the reason this was so upsetting in the first place was because this is an otherwise very sophisticated platformer.
Risu2112

#20 User is offline   CJA 

• «≡larch bucket≡»
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 31 December 2009 - 05:31 AM

View PostRisu2112, on Dec 30 2009, 04:20 AM, said:

accent/decent profile.

i can't take it anymore

i'm going to snap
Need a dispenser here.

#21 User is offline   Lachesis 

Posted 31 December 2009 - 07:02 AM

View PostCJA, on Dec 30 2009, 11:31 PM, said:

i can't take it anymore

i'm going to snap

Go beat the final boss

earn that spot in the credits

Actually, has anybody beat it yet :confused:

#22 User is offline   Lachesis 

Posted 27 March 2012 - 12:52 PM

:( VAULT LINK :laughing:

This post has been edited by Lachesis: 27 March 2012 - 12:53 PM

#23 User is offline   Baby Bonnie Hood 

• Neatsome!
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 13 April 2012 - 02:34 AM

Damn, this game is kicking my ass. And I thought Adlo was hard.

Does the ending change depending on the difficulty and continue settings?

Edit: Never mind, I finished it on Normal with G/L/C using 2 continues. I'm such a goody-two-shoes.

One ending (plus one) down, three to go.

This post has been edited by Baby Bonnie Hood: 13 April 2012 - 03:34 AM

Posted Image

#24 User is offline   Lachesis 

Posted 13 April 2012 - 04:07 AM

Don't feel ashamed if you ever have to switch to easy, though apparently most of the difficulty comes from falling in pits anyway (use the spring if you have a lot of trouble with them, you can exploit a collision bug if you miss the jump to get the spring the first time).

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users