dMZX Forums: Transparent UI colors aren't transparent for 8-bit SMZX render_layer -> Archived MegaZeux Bugs -> Tracker

Report ID 765 Title Transparent UI colors aren't transparent for 8-bit SMZX render_layer
Product Archived MegaZeux Bugs Status Fixed (Severity 1 - Low)
Version 2.91j Fixed in 2.92c
Introduced In Version 2.90Operating System All platforms

Page 1 of 1
  • Cannot start a new Issue
  • Closed Issue This issue is locked

Report ID #765: Transparent UI colors aren't transparent for 8-bit SMZX render_layer

#1 User is online  
Lachesis 

• the pinnacle of human emotion
  • Group: DigiStaff

Posted 05 April 2019 - 10:21 PM

This is only really noticeable in the SMZX palette editor added in 2.91, but the bug technically exists back to 2.90. When force_bpp=8 is set for any 8bpp-compatible renderer using render_layer (currently only "software") the SMZX palette cursors will be surrounded by magenta boxes instead of showing the palette colors. This appears to be because protected colors are truncated in render_layer_code.h before any tcol checks can occur (line 368).

This isn't really a high priority bug to fix since 8bpp has almost no use cases (very slow on modern computers compared to 32bpp), 8bpp+SMZX has unfixable protected palette issues anyway, we don't make SDL Wii builds anymore, and the PSP (the only other SDL console port that allows 8bpp right now) ships with the editor disabled by default.

Still, it looks really tacky and theoretically an SMZX palette could be designed around making the UI look bearable in 8bpp (and the SMZX_MESSAGE feature actually encourages this to a degree).
"Let's just say I'm a GOOD hacker, AND virus maker. I'm sure you wouldn't like to pay for another PC would you?"

xx̊y (OST) - HELLQUEST (OST) - Zeux I: Labyrinth of Zeux (OST) (DOS OST)
w/ Lancer-X and/or asgromo: Pandora's Gate - Thanatos Insignia - no True(n) - For Elise OST
MegaZeux: Online Help File - Keycode Guide - Joystick Guide - Official GIT Repository

Page 1 of 1  

Replies (1 - 2)

#2 User is online  
Lachesis 

Posted 02 March 2020 - 06:30 PM

Updating status to: Fixed
Issue fixed in: 2.92c

Fixed in GIT 52ddcc6e.
"Let's just say I'm a GOOD hacker, AND virus maker. I'm sure you wouldn't like to pay for another PC would you?"

xx̊y (OST) - HELLQUEST (OST) - Zeux I: Labyrinth of Zeux (OST) (DOS OST)
w/ Lancer-X and/or asgromo: Pandora's Gate - Thanatos Insignia - no True(n) - For Elise OST
MegaZeux: Online Help File - Keycode Guide - Joystick Guide - Official GIT Repository

#3 User is online  
Lachesis 

Posted 08 March 2020 - 05:58 AM

Moving to: Archived MegaZeux Bugs

Page 1 of 1

0 User(s) are reading this issue
0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users