dMZX Forums: Debytecode: savegame bytecode positions can't be converted to new bytecode positions -> MegaZeux Bugs -> Tracker

Report ID 773 Title Debytecode: savegame bytecode positions can't be converted to new bytecode positions
Product MegaZeux Bugs Status Flagged For Future Version (Severity 1 - Low)
Version GIT (debytecode) Fixed in -
Introduced In Version GIT (debytecode)Operating System All platforms

Page 1 of 1
  • Cannot start a new Issue
  • You cannot reply to this issue

Report ID #773: Debytecode: savegame bytecode positions can't be converted to new bytecode positions

#1 User is online  
Lachesis 

• the pinnacle of human emotion
  • Group: DigiStaff

Posted 04 July 2019 - 04:10 AM

When loading savegame robots, debytecode has no way to accurately translate old bytecode positions to new bytecode positions, and instead restarts all affected robots. This means that loading legacy saves and MZMs is partially broken.

The fix might be to have debytecode commands correspond 1-to-1 with legacy bytecode commands when compiling legacy code. Particularly, comments and blank lines would need to be compiled to bytecode instead of being ignored (though the comment string could be entirely ignored and ."@" could be compiled to something else).

A way to achieve this might be to rework the assembler to compile legacy bytecode/source code directly into new bytecode and treat the legacy bytecode/source as the program's "source" instead of always translating to new source code (where comments and whitespace are explicitly ignored when compiling). This would also tie into fixing several other debytecode issues, particularly message boxes ignoring blank lines and SAVE_ROBOT currently not being able to produce legacy source. I looked at implementing this but without some other upcoming changes to the way robots/programs work it might just be too messy for now.

EDIT: this also affects positions saved as part of the robot stack.
"Let's just say I'm a GOOD hacker, AND virus maker. I'm sure you wouldn't like to pay for another PC would you?"

xx̊y (OST) - HELLQUEST (OST) - Zeux I: Labyrinth of Zeux (OST) (DOS OST)
w/ Lancer-X and/or asgromo: Pandora's Gate - Thanatos Insignia - no True(n) - For Elise OST
MegaZeux: Online Help File - Keycode Guide - Joystick Guide - Official GIT Repository

Page 1 of 1
  • Cannot start a new Issue
  • You cannot reply to this issue

0 User(s) are reading this issue
0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users