dMZX Forums: SMZXDraw! - dMZX Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

SMZXDraw! Utility to draw characters for SMZX games.

#1 User is offline   darkhog 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 22 November 2012 - 01:26 AM

I've made utility to draw charsets for SMZX games, because built-in editor for that just pisses me off. It is fine for non-smzx character editing, but for SMZX games it is clumsy.

Current features:
- Basic character drawing (with clicking, you can't draw things for now, only pixel-by-pixel)
- Charset display (you can replace character of charset with currently displayed in editing area with left click charset slot and load character with right-clicking character slot)
- Setting 4-color palette for reference (all pixels will be drawn using this palette).

NOTE: This is drawing palette, for convenience only. Though in newest version there's palette editor too.

Screenshot:
Attached Image: smzxdraw.png

Left: Drawing area
Right-up: Charset
Right-verybottom: Palette
Right-mid: Didn't decide yet, probably toolbox or in future version palette editor.

Controls:
Left - drawing in character area/putting character into charset.
RMB/Shift+LMB - color/characterpicker.

DL: http://www.digitalmz...ndpost&p=258470

For other programmers out there

There are some things that I'd like to see in this program, but can't code it myself (too little skill). Those are:
- Partial character support (both loading and saving)
- Editing multiple characters at once, kinda like you can do it with built-in MZX gfx editor.

Maybe you can implement those?

This post has been edited by darkhog: 31 December 2012 - 03:15 AM

There are no impossible things, there is only lack of skills.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~-+=SMZXDraw! The ultimate tool for editing charsets and palettes for SMZX games - FEEDBACK NEEDED!!!=+-~
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Society consists mostly of jerks. We cannot neglect their involvement into building our civilization - without them we
wouldn't have such wonderful inventions like war, money, drugs... or Microsoft Windows.

#2 User is offline   darkhog 

• Pip

Posted 22 November 2012 - 10:30 PM

Initial release (0.01b).

Instructions are mentioned directly in program. Please report any bugs you'll find. Source code not included as I must clean it up a little bit and comment all non-obvious routines so people will understand them.

@Admin/Mod: Please remove "(In-Dev)" bit from the title as this tool is released. I cannot do it myself, unfortunately.

This post has been edited by darkhog: 22 November 2012 - 10:30 PM

~-+=SMZXDraw! The ultimate tool for editing charsets and palettes for SMZX games - FEEDBACK NEEDED!!!=+-~
Society consists mostly of jerks. We cannot neglect their involvement into building our civilization - without them we
wouldn't have such wonderful inventions like war, money, drugs... or Microsoft Windows.

#3 User is offline   darkhog 

• Pip

Posted 23 November 2012 - 12:22 AM

Sources:
Attached File  SMZXDraw.rar (3.65MB)
Number of downloads: 227

You'll need Lazarus to open and build this. Currently following things are needed:
- Linux/Mac builds (there is Lazarus for both so shouldn't be hard to port, probably matter of recompiling)
- Multiple charset editing at once (needed feature, but I don't have skills to write it)
- Exporting/importing partial charsets (dunno why you would want importing, but it may be useful for merging charsets).

If you could add those, I'd be grateful. I've tried to comment code as well as possible, but in case of doubts, just pm me or post here and I'll try to help.

#4 User is offline   darkhog 

• Pip

Posted 23 November 2012 - 09:30 PM

Version 0.02a. Changelog:
- Palette editor, so you won't have to run pal* and SMZXDraw! at one time (note you'll have to save palette and charset separately). Palette editor opens in non-modal window so you can have opened both main window (SMZXDraw!) and palette editor. You can also copy colors from palette editor directly to your reference palette (it takes place of currently selected color in the latter).
- Sources included with this version. From now on, it is based on Darkhog's Public License (consult license.txt for details)

Attached File(s)

#5 User is offline   darkhog 

• Pip

Posted 23 November 2012 - 11:35 PM

Version 0.02b. Changelog:
- Fixed issues with loading and saving palettes in palette editor.
- You can (finally!) pick up characters from charset with RMB. Using Shift+LMB is preserved for those who preferred old control scheme.
- You can pick up colors in character editing area the same way you pick up characters from character editor (RMB and Shift+LMB).

Attached File(s)

This post has been edited by darkhog: 23 November 2012 - 11:36 PM

#6 User is offline   Giel 

• Right this way, M'lady.
  • PipPipPip

Posted 24 November 2012 - 08:05 AM

Impressive tool you've got here. This'll make editing in SMZX mode a whole lot easier!

#7 User is offline   darkhog 

• Pip

Posted 24 November 2012 - 04:29 PM

:(

I mainly did it for myself, but I've figured out it wouldn't hurt to share. I'm making rogue-like comedy rpg with smzx graphics using my program to do both charset and palette, recent screenshot:
Posted Image

#8 User is offline   Zappman 

• PipPip

Posted 28 December 2012 - 12:10 PM

Hello darkhog! This tool seems really awesome, I'm surprised it hasn't gotten more feedback. Downloading it now. So I take it this is (basically) written in PASCAL?

P. S. Those barely look like MZX graphics in that screenshot. Awesome sauce!

This post has been edited by Zappman: 28 December 2012 - 12:16 PM

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Long Live DOS Games!
-- Zappman

#9 User is offline   T-Bone 

• Wastelander
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 30 December 2012 - 10:08 AM

Nice!
Youtube - teabone3 - Twitter - teabone3 - Twitch - teabone3

#10 User is offline   darkhog 

• Pip

Posted 31 December 2012 - 03:08 AM

View PostZappman, on 28 December 2012 - 12:10 PM, said:

Hello darkhog! This tool seems really awesome, I'm surprised it hasn't gotten more feedback. Downloading it now. So I take it this is (basically) written in PASCAL?

Yup, pretty much. Sources are included. You'll have to have Lazarus IDE for it to open. BTW. If someone here has Linux or MacOS X and want to use SMZXDraw! natively you'll need following things to compile it under those systems:
- FreePascal (version compatible with following item)
- Lazarus IDE (as new as you can get + corresponding version of FreePascal Compiler).

You are free to compile it and publish binaries in this thread.

#11 User is offline   GetDizzy 

• Touch Fuzzy.
  • Group: DigiStaff

Posted 21 January 2013 - 12:21 PM

Impressive utility you have there, and something that should be given more attention. One of the reasons I've never used SMZX is the inability to see immediately what color maps to what in a chosen palette while char editing, which you've now made possible.

I think I'll compile and post a Linux version sometime today.
- Your Jumpy Neighborhood Admin

<@Tixus> Anyway, I set the year to 1988 for some reason.
<@Tixus> And set the microwave to run for a minute and 28 seconds.
<@Tixus> But it failed to send me back in time, and I was disappointed.
<Insidious> Tixus accidentally microwaved the 80s
<Insidious> that is my takeaway from this

#12 User is offline   GetDizzy 

• Touch Fuzzy.

Posted 21 January 2013 - 02:07 PM

That was slightly harder than it should have been because debian insists on packaging lazarus 0.9.30.4 instead of the far more recent 1.0.4, so I had to grab packages from sourceforge.

amd64 tarball, built on debian squeeze (should work on debian squeeze, later versions, and derivatives such as Ubuntu, Mint, etc):

http://urfiles.belsa...smzxdraw.tar.gz

i386 tarball coming as soon as I can figure out how to produce one :(

Dependencies are GTK and everything GTK itself depends on.

#13 User is offline   GetDizzy 

• Touch Fuzzy.

Posted 21 January 2013 - 02:34 PM

Okay, so cross compiling with fpc/lazarus on linux is a nightmare, so I'm just going to run an i386 VM and compile it there, so linux-i386 tarball will take slightly longer.

#14 User is online   Lachesis 

• the pinnacle of human emotion

Posted 21 January 2013 - 06:30 PM

I'm hoping to have the functionality of this built-in to MZX 2.85 (selecting palettes in the char editor, standard-mode UI) and 2.84d (SMZX palette editor, although SMZX palettes can't be saved within worlds themselves until 2.85).
"Let's just say I'm a GOOD hacker, AND virus maker. I'm sure you wouldn't like to pay for another PC would you?"

xx̊y (OST) - HELLQUEST (OST) - Zeux I: Labyrinth of Zeux (OST) (DOS OST)
w/ Lancer-X and/or asgromo: Pandora's Gate - Thanatos Insignia - no True(n) - For Elise OST
MegaZeux: Online Help File - Keycode Guide - Joystick Guide - Official GIT Repository

#15 User is offline   GetDizzy 

• Touch Fuzzy.

Posted 21 January 2013 - 07:40 PM

Finally got the i386 version built and working

amd64 linux: http://urfiles.belsa...smzxdraw.tar.gz
i386 linux: http://urfiles.belsa...raw-i386.tar.gz

as said before these are built and tested on Debian and not guaranteed to work on anything else, though the dependencies are simple enough that they should.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users