Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Help System As A Browser? Question about help system improvement

#1 User is offline   hseiken 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 07 March 2020 - 01:48 AM

I'm not sure how difficult this would be to implement so please don't @ me and I understand if this is something that's just 'not worth it', but for newbies to learn the system, the built-in help is a mega-valuable tool. An enhancement to treat it like a 'browser' with forward and backward 'movement' based on last topics looked at would be a welcome addition as I find myself when using it forgetting where I was in the first place and how I got there. It's already got 'hyperlinks' essentially, so would it be possible to store the path they were selected and go 'backwards' to previously viewed items?

If this feature is already implemented, maybe the only fix necessary is to add it to the 'controls help' at the bottom of the dialogue box.

Thanks!
There is no Data, only Zuul.

#2 User is online   Lachesis 

• the pinnacle of human emotion
  • Group: DigiStaff

Posted 07 March 2020 - 01:58 AM

The help system definitely needs some modernization (particularly a search feature). This has been in my TODO list for a while, but I can bump it up. In the meantime, there's an online help file linked on the DMZX home page that gets you pretty much all of the things you mention (except you need to keep a browser open for it).

edit: also, welcome back!

This post has been edited by Lachesis: 07 March 2020 - 02:06 AM

"Let's just say I'm a GOOD hacker, AND virus maker. I'm sure you wouldn't like to pay for another PC would you?"

xx̊y (OST) - HELLQUEST (OST) - Zeux I: Labyrinth of Zeux (OST) (DOS OST)
w/ Lancer-X and/or asgromo: Pandora's Gate - Thanatos Insignia - no True(n) - For Elise OST
MegaZeux: Online Help File - Keycode Guide - Joystick Guide - Official GIT Repository

#3 User is offline   hseiken 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 07 March 2020 - 03:08 AM

View Posthseiken, on 06 March 2020 - 08:48 PM, said:

I'm not sure how difficult this would be to implement so please don't @ me and I understand if this is something that's just 'not worth it', but for newbies to learn the system, the built-in help is a mega-valuable tool. An enhancement to treat it like a 'browser' with forward and backward 'movement' based on last topics looked at would be a welcome addition as I find myself when using it forgetting where I was in the first place and how I got there. It's already got 'hyperlinks' essentially, so would it be possible to store the path they were selected and go 'backwards' to previously viewed items?

If this feature is already implemented, maybe the only fix necessary is to add it to the 'controls help' at the bottom of the dialogue box.

Thanks!

Thanks and keep up the magnificent work. I personally just thought I'd mention it as I like to work on projects on internet-disabled machines. I get so much more done. :) I don't have the will power to not check messages and search yt and all of that other distraction noise stuff!
There is no Data, only Zuul.

#4 User is online   Lachesis 

• the pinnacle of human emotion
  • Group: DigiStaff

Posted 07 March 2020 - 03:43 AM

No problem. Also, an HTML copy of the help file is distributed with newer releases of MZX (2.91j+) in the docs folder, so you don't technically have to use the online version if the Internet is a dealbreaker :shades:
"Let's just say I'm a GOOD hacker, AND virus maker. I'm sure you wouldn't like to pay for another PC would you?"

xx̊y (OST) - HELLQUEST (OST) - Zeux I: Labyrinth of Zeux (OST) (DOS OST)
w/ Lancer-X and/or asgromo: Pandora's Gate - Thanatos Insignia - no True(n) - For Elise OST
MegaZeux: Online Help File - Keycode Guide - Joystick Guide - Official GIT Repository

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users