• You cannot reply to this topic

What are you playing?

#1021 User is offline   CJA 

• «≡larch bucket≡»
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 11 March 2017 - 11:46 PM

View PostAeonPhoenix, on 23 February 2017 - 02:13 PM, said:

Every day, I sit down and try to finally play Dragon Age: Inquisition, like I've been meaning to for two years. Every day, I fail.

I feel that one... I also need to beat that, right after I beat...

Skyrim. I'm going to try really earnestly playing Skyrim now that I have a living room setup that can support direct HDMI from computer to TV, and I found my XB360 Controller for PC adapter. And we have a couch. Right after I beat...

Final Fantasy X. Classic PS2 version. Holy crap, it's so good in ways that I totally overlooked before. Yes, some of the execution is a bit iffy, like annoying voice actors and the graphics and what have you... but wow, the game's story, the character development, the way that the battles stay interesting all the way up until the end of the game... It's just so good. The game is a bit rock-paper-scissors ish, especially in the battles, but they make up for it with things like the Sphere Grid where you can sort of exercise greater tactical control without being entirely gimmicky--you can choose to use rare special items to make your characters go wildly off path or just go straight forward to level up your characters. The game nails the whole 'look hard, play easy' idea. Even the cliche things the characters do just seem so warm somehow. The interface is still really cool, even.

Just, for God's sake, don't make Kimahri go down Lulu's tree. It seems like a good idea to have 2 elementalists but by the end of the game neither of them do very well at damage.
Need a dispenser here.

#1022 User is offline   Dr Lancer-X 

• 電波、届いた?
  • Group: DigiStaff

Posted 12 March 2017 - 12:09 AM

I've never played FFX. Looks like it has a Vita version, so I might check that out.

I'm currently playing The Witcher III. It's fantastic, of course, but it's perhaps been a little too long since I played II that I've forgotten too much, or it's just bringing in all these characters that Geralt remembers but I've never met before.

I feel like the 'minimum level suggestion' is mocking me. I'm completing every quest in the game that I find but I can't even get up to the minimum level suggested for the main quest I'm supposed to be on at the moment.
Posted Image
<Malwyn> Yes, yes. Don't worry I'd rather masturbate with broken glass than ask you for help again. :(

#1023 User is offline   Dr Lancer-X 

• 電波、届いた?

Posted 08 April 2017 - 02:13 AM

Mass Effect: Andromeda is a garbage fire. I think the bad facial animations, bugs and lousy planet exploration are distracting people from how horrible this game is. BioWare has clearly fired everyone who can write a story. Some people have claimed the game gets better after the first few hours. It does not.

I think the only reason this game scored so highly (70%) on Metacritic is because nobody expects anything from Mass Effect after ME3 and the reviewers were mostly just relieved the game didn't overwrite their MBR or something.
Posted Image
<Malwyn> Yes, yes. Don't worry I'd rather masturbate with broken glass than ask you for help again. :(

#1024 User is offline   Verasev 

• PipPip

Posted 08 April 2017 - 04:36 PM

Persona 5!!! Having to fight my kid for time on the PS3, though, because he's become a Minecraft addict.

#1025 User is offline   Puella 

• The Finest in Nerd Brides Since 2011
  • PipPip

Posted 08 April 2017 - 07:13 PM

Well, other than us completely TROUNCING "Oregon Trail" this January, Wervyn has been on a Zelda kick ever since Breath of the Wild, and he is playing through all the Zelda games in order. He's on Majora's Mask now, and neither of us have played it, and we LOVE it. It's so dark and quirky and awesome.
I'm mostly watching, but I've been trying to finish up Okamiden when I take a pause in work and writing. I'm interested in playing some of the Zelda DS games, as well as finishing my own playthrough of OoT and Pokemon Snap.

This post has been edited by Puella: 08 April 2017 - 07:15 PM

Tweet me! @PuellaDocta

#1026 User is offline   Goshi 

• I'm dreadful of DRAGON.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 10 April 2017 - 02:04 AM

View PostDr Lancer-X, on 08 April 2017 - 12:13 PM, said:

Mass Effect: Andromeda is a garbage fire. I think the bad facial animations, bugs and lousy planet exploration are distracting people from how horrible this game is. BioWare has clearly fired everyone who can write a story. Some people have claimed the game gets better after the first few hours. It does not.

I think the only reason this game scored so highly (70%) on Metacritic is because nobody expects anything from Mass Effect after ME3 and the reviewers were mostly just relieved the game didn't overwrite their MBR or something.

The game was made by Bioware's B-Team (Specifically the team at Toronto), which would explain the dubious quality in a lot of areas. It had one hell of a budget for a B-Team game though, so even then you would expect so much more. I haven't gotten the game yet because I am still someone with no money, but looking at Let's Plays and reviews, it does look like a trainwreck, and I'll probably never buy it.

Been replaying the original trilogy incidentally, since it did put me into the mood to play them again.

#1027 User is offline   GetDizzy 

• Touch Fuzzy.

Posted 10 April 2017 - 03:48 PM

I mean, I enjoyed the entire Mass Effect series including 3, and yes, including its ending *before* they "fixed" it, and while Andromeda's writing, or hell, it's acting is not at all on par with the previous trilogy, I do kind of... I guess enjoy wondering how these races would actually fare out in an entirely new galaxy. Unfortunately, as far as I can tell a few hours in, the problems they have are basically the same ones they had in the last galaxy, just spookier.

Also I like how the game rewards your progress with not just achievements or stats or whatever but an actual sense that there are people who you are unthawing who will be able to go back tot heir lives now. It's just that those people seem, despite being I'm sure played by very good voice actors, like they're made of various types of hardwood.

If anything I think I'm more disappointed than I'd have been if I didn't care about the previous entries.

And yet I'm still probably going to finish this game.
- Your Jumpy Neighborhood Admin

<@Tixus> Anyway, I set the year to 1988 for some reason.
<@Tixus> And set the microwave to run for a minute and 28 seconds.
<@Tixus> But it failed to send me back in time, and I was disappointed.
<Insidious> Tixus accidentally microwaved the 80s
<Insidious> that is my takeaway from this

#1028 User is offline   Dr Lancer-X 

• 電波、届いた?

Posted 10 April 2017 - 08:23 PM

View PostInsidious, on 11 April 2017 - 01:48 AM, said:

Also I like how the game rewards your progress with not just achievements or stats or whatever but an actual sense that there are people who you are unthawing who will be able to go back tot heir lives now. It's just that those people seem, despite being I'm sure played by very good voice actors, like they're made of various types of hardwood.

Yeah, which is why this game was a massive wasted opportunity. Honestly I think the overall concept is fantastic, and the gameplay-narrative connection makes more sense than it did in the original games (as in, all the things you do in the game actually make sense, unlike in the previous games where exploring planets is shit you really shouldn't be doing considering you're on a serious time limit).

Unfortunately along the way someone at Bioware seems to have forgotten that people play Mass Effect for its plot and characters and decided to seriously cut budget in those areas (for the scale of the game), and as a result, this latest game feels really, really bad. It's like a Mass Effect fan game where the author has created their own original characters that feel like either shallow copies of the real characters or nothing much at all.
Posted Image

#1029 User is offline   djtiesto 

• SHOPPING PLEASE
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 11 April 2017 - 01:16 AM

The game where your cat keeps nagging you to go to bed early. Aka Persona 5. And it's fucking awesome... just about ready to finish the first dungeon, but it's certainly a bit slower to open up than even the other games in the series at this point in time.

I also managed to get the 5 main endings in Nier Automata, which was another astounding game.

This post has been edited by djtiesto: 11 April 2017 - 01:17 AM

Posted Image

Posted Image

#1030 User is offline   Baby Bonnie Hood 

• Neatsome!
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 16 April 2017 - 08:21 AM

I already mentioned Escape Velocity here, but I'll mention it again because I just finished playing a free open source clone of it called Endless Sky. It's the same ol' Asteroids meets Elite game so I immediately loved it; and although it's not quite finished yet, what's already there is big and plentiful enough to, in my opinion, match the official EV games. It's also very moddable, so you can make custom stuff for it and even help make the game if you want to by contributing storylines and factions and stuff.

Now if only ASCII Sector got the same treatment. Sadly, its sole developer is currently busy making another game and won't go back to ASCII Sector until he's done with that. So I hate to say it because it looks promising too, but it's effectively dead to me.

This post has been edited by Baby Bonnie Hood: 16 April 2017 - 08:21 AM

Posted Image

#1031 User is offline   djtiesto 

• SHOPPING PLEASE
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 25 April 2017 - 02:08 AM

Really hyped about what I'm getting in the mail... I'll show pics when it arrives, in the (back to the) future...
Posted Image

Posted Image

#1032 User is offline   Dr Lancer-X 

• 電波、届いた?

Posted 10 May 2017 - 10:54 PM

Finished Persona 5. 11/10, everything I wanted in a new Persona game and then some.

Worth buying a console for.
Posted Image

#1033 User is offline   CJA 

• «≡larch bucket≡»
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 12 May 2017 - 02:17 AM

Persona 4

<:p/>
Need a dispenser here.

#1034 User is offline   djtiesto 

• SHOPPING PLEASE
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 15 May 2017 - 02:01 AM

I just finished with the July exams in Persona 5. Trudging along slowly at the game...
Posted Image

Posted Image

#1035 User is offline   zzo38 

• Registered members
  • PipPipPip

Posted 16 May 2017 - 12:14 AM

Lunar Limit (for NES)
In Capitalist America, law violates YOU!

"Potion of Confusing": Solve all the puzzles, hold second one as you hold a pencil, and save gibbering mouthers from the king's army.

#1036 User is offline   djtiesto 

• SHOPPING PLEASE
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 25 May 2017 - 01:39 AM

Oooh, just some stuff on this little pickup I got...

Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image

#1037 User is offline   Old-Sckool 

• megazeux breaker
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 04 June 2017 - 11:17 PM

Beat Psychonauts the other day. Really fun world, lots of goofy moments, but the game itself felt like it needed more development time. I played it with a keyboard and there were a lot of moments where i had to fight with the controls, like selecting Psi Powers on diagonals because I can't hit 3 buttons at once I guess, or attempting to lock on to targets while also trying to keep your distance from them.

Was expecting the campgrounds to be the hubworld for the entire game, and the 20 or so kids having a consistent presence throughout the story. Too much of the game seemed devoted to tutorial levels (i.e. the first three or four levels, depending on whether you count "Brain Tumbler Experiment"), and it was disappointing that all the world and character building done in this first half gets pushed to the side for the rest of the game. The end game (Meat Circus) was absolute garbage though. It was as if the developers deliberately went out of their way to showcase everything terrible with the game engine. Haven't gotten so pissed off at a game in years. At one point I'd stopped to look up how to get past this one absurd platforming sequence and I so flustered I couldn't type anything coherent into the search bar.

Figment collecting was a bit tedious/pointless, and frustrating at times. With them being "flat" 2D textures, it was difficult to gauge where exactly they were in the world. If you had to jump for them, it was easy to miss them entirely. Worse, some of them end up flying around on a fixed path, clipping out of reach into the floor. Also felt like the number of them could have been cut without losing anything challenge wise.

Despite that, I did enjoy myself some. My favorite level was probably Waterloo World, because I really dig depictions of people playing table top role-playing/strategy games in tv. Thought it was really cool to jump into the board, then go one step further and shrink down to the "space" level.

This post has been edited by Old-Sckool: 04 June 2017 - 11:23 PM

<Nadir> mzxers don't make GAMES, usually
<phthalocyanine> they make experiences.
<Nadir> demos, more like
<Nadir> a glimpse into what could have been if mzx wasn't such a bore to work with
<Nadir> actually, i'm being unfair
<Nadir> i would have made mzx games if it was capable of running on more than 20 computers worldwide in 1998
<Nadir> >:D

<%Alice> functor
<%nooodl> i hear C++ has a thing called functors and they're completely different from Haskell functors...
<rorirover> the result is the most horrid thing in C++, it's basically black magic and it transforms any code you're writing into some eldritch monstrosity

#1038 User is offline   djtiesto 

• SHOPPING PLEASE
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 06 July 2017 - 02:32 AM

Finally beat Persona 5, now started up Trails in the Sky: The 3rd. It doesn't seem to really drive the overall plot of the Trails games all that much as of now, it feels more like an 'omake' game or a debug room - all these characters from the first 2 games thrown into this an amalgamation of new areas and repurposed areas from respective games, with a bunch of character-based side stories (some up to an hour long) revealing more backstory. Not sure I like it as much as the others so far (20 hours in).
Posted Image

Posted Image

#1039 User is offline   djtiesto 

• SHOPPING PLEASE
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 27 July 2017 - 02:10 AM

Just about done with Trails the 3rd, so now it's back to Gravity Rush 2 and Zelda. Also picked up Splatoon 2, it's fun but it seems like it would get old quickly (I never really played the first game).
Posted Image

Posted Image

#1040 User is offline   Dr Lancer-X 

• 電波、届いた?

Posted 27 July 2017 - 05:14 AM

Atelier Rorona Plus. I've never played an Atelier game but I'm kinda enjoying this one, enough that I'll probably play more of them.
Posted Image

#1041 User is offline   CJA 

• «≡larch bucket≡»
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 28 July 2017 - 02:08 AM

Factorio

Somebody help :weary:
Need a dispenser here.

#1042 User is offline   GetDizzy 

• Touch Fuzzy.

Posted 28 July 2017 - 02:24 AM

Dishonored 2 a bit, also I decided to grab the PC port of Alan Wake (which apparently isn't for sale anymore, yay licensing?) and have been kind of replaying that.
- Your Jumpy Neighborhood Admin

<@Tixus> Anyway, I set the year to 1988 for some reason.
<@Tixus> And set the microwave to run for a minute and 28 seconds.
<@Tixus> But it failed to send me back in time, and I was disappointed.
<Insidious> Tixus accidentally microwaved the 80s
<Insidious> that is my takeaway from this

#1043 User is offline   djtiesto 

• SHOPPING PLEASE
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 09 August 2017 - 01:39 AM

About to go and beat Gravity Rush 2.

Also went to this sick arcade in Hicksville called Round1, they had this awesome dual wielding pistol arena brawler by Square-Enix of all people called Gunslinger Stratos, along with a ton of cool Japanese rhythm games (including the Theatrhythm arcade game, Music Gun Gun 2 (a light gun game crossed with a rhythm game) and Project Diva Arcade!). Place was amazing...
Posted Image

Posted Image

#1044 User is offline   Spectere 

• Resident Spectere Fanboy
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 09 August 2017 - 01:30 PM

We're supposed to be getting a Round 1 in Ohio at some point, around the Cleveland area, so I'm pretty psyched about that. I went to the one in Grapevine, TX a couple months ago and it was pretty sweet being able to play legit Bemani titles. Also, if you haven't tried Groove Coaster arcade, definitely give that a shot! It plays a lot better than the mobile port does.

Speaking of awesome arcades, if anyone ever finds themselves in the Columbus, OH, area, check out Akiba Arcade in the Eastland Mall. $15 for all day free play (there's also a one and three hour pass available...forgot how much those cost). It's definitely a great place to go if you like rhythm and/or racing games.
:)

#1045 User is offline   djtiesto 

• SHOPPING PLEASE
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 21 August 2017 - 02:05 AM

Sanic Mania and Felix the Cat (NES)
Posted Image

Posted Image

#1046 User is offline   KKairos 

• not an actual chipmunk
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 21 August 2017 - 04:33 AM

DEAD CELLS
darganflayer.net kaikairos.dev itch.io

#1047 User is offline   djtiesto 

• SHOPPING PLEASE
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 10 September 2017 - 03:50 AM

I beat Sonic Mania, a fitting way to celebrate 9/9.

Also was playing a lot of Amiga euroshmups on my friend's A500. It's funny hearing some of the MODs since quite a few of them I recognize from being used in MZX games (like one of the Pinball Dreams songs and the theme for Awesome). The best was the theme for Blood Money and hearing the YEAH! used in Weirdness :(

My favorite Amiga games so far are Turrican 2, Chaos Engine, the Digital Illusions pinball games, and Apidya. But I'm not generally a fan of older European game design - it seems way too easy to take hits, and there's a bit too much collectathon-ing and meandering level design.
Posted Image

Posted Image

#1048 User is offline   CJA 

• «≡larch bucket≡»
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 14 September 2017 - 05:56 PM

Binding of Isaac.

Eh
Need a dispenser here.

#1049 User is offline   KKairos 

• not an actual chipmunk
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 18 September 2017 - 05:20 AM

View PostCJA, on 14 September 2017 - 10:56 AM, said:

Binding of Isaac.

Eh

QFT. It was fun, but not honestly the best thing ever.
darganflayer.net kaikairos.dev itch.io

#1050 User is offline   Galladin 

• Threadkiller
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 20 September 2017 - 12:42 PM

Eastside Hockey Manager and Fallout 2, the latter being one of my all-time favourites... :(
Interactive (F) Fantasies

<Beige> In Finland, they defecate on each other's sleeping areas.
<Beige> It's a cultural sign of respect.

Share this topic:

• (37 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

4 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users