dMZX Forums: Many SAM files from Bernard the Bard play at wrong frequency -> MegaZeux Bugs -> Tracker

Report ID 711 Title Many SAM files from Bernard the Bard play at wrong frequency
Product MegaZeux Bugs Status Awaiting Feedback (Severity 1 - Low)
Version 2.91b Fixed in -
Introduced In Version ----Operating System macOS

Page 1 of 1
  • Cannot start a new Issue
  • You cannot reply to this issue

Report ID #711: Many SAM files from Bernard the Bard play at wrong frequency

Revvy 

• Jeez guys, there's no need to be narky.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 22 January 2018 - 04:07 AM

STR:
Watch the title screen of Bernard the Bard. There are a bunch of sound effects played at a lower frequency than they used to be in much older versions of MegaZeux, such as the crowd cheering effects. Other effects, such as the shooting sounds, are played at the correct frequency.
<+AFK> Bringing whisky to my mother is like irrigating a lake.

<+AFK> dormando's apathy is palpable.
* AFK palpates
<dormando> stop that

<Malwyn> undressing with revvy a little over a metre away. new definition of awkward.

Page 1 of 1  

Replies (1 - 8)

#2 User is online  
Lachesis 

• the pinnacle of human emotion
  • Group: DigiStaff

Posted 22 January 2018 - 07:03 AM

I've compared several of the samples that sound off (2.51 in DOSBox vs 2.91b). The problem isn't their frequency as far as I can tell.

This is SAM 1000 "KRABOOM.SAM" (the one that sounded the most different to me). The top is 2.51, and the bottom is 2.91b. DOS is inverted and plays the SAM on one channel, but they're at essentially the same frequency. If anything, 2.91b looks slightly faster.

Posted Image

Zoomed in, 2.51 and 2.91b. 2.91b might be losing some detail.

Posted Image

The .SAM file imported into Audacity, zoomed to the same spot.

Posted Image

There's some clipping, but it has several recognizable features that are in 2.51 and aren't in 2.91b. This is probably why 2.91b sounds lower. Maybe resampling modes?
"Let's just say I'm a GOOD hacker, AND virus maker. I'm sure you wouldn't like to pay for another PC would you?"

xx̊y (OST) - HELLQUEST (OST) - Zeux I: Labyrinth of Zeux (OST) (DOS OST)
w/ Lancer-X and/or asgromo: Pandora's Gate - Thanatos Insignia - no True(n) - For Elise OST
MegaZeux: Online Help File - Keycode Guide - Joystick Guide - Official GIT Repository

Dr Lancer-X 

• 電波、届いた?

Posted 22 January 2018 - 07:54 AM

Revvy, on 22 January 2018 - 02:07 PM, said:

STR:
Watch the title screen of Bernard the Bard. There are a bunch of sound effects played at a lower frequency than they used to be in much older versions of MegaZeux, such as the crowd cheering effects. Other effects, such as the shooting sounds, are played at the correct frequency.

Record video of both dos MZX and 2.91b on that title screen. I just listened to both and I can't tell the difference, so that would help get an idea of what you're experiencing.
Posted Image
<Malwyn> Yes, yes. Don't worry I'd rather masturbate with broken glass than ask you for help again. :(

#4 User is online  
Lachesis 

Posted 22 January 2018 - 03:14 PM

Here's an MP3 showing the difference. 2.51 plays first, followed by 2.91b.
"Let's just say I'm a GOOD hacker, AND virus maker. I'm sure you wouldn't like to pay for another PC would you?"

w/ Lancer-X and/or asgromo: Pandora's Gate - Thanatos Insignia - no True(n) - For Elise OST
MegaZeux: Online Help File - Keycode Guide - Joystick Guide - Official GIT Repository

#5 User is online  
Lachesis 

Posted 03 September 2018 - 10:06 AM

Updating status to: Cannot Reproduce

Any difference here appears to be caused by a different resampling mode being the default. Old MZX samples were low bitrate and probably are affected a lot more by resampling mode than samples used today. I can't reproduce any other condition that is altering the pitch of the effect, sorry.

Terryn 

Posted 17 September 2018 - 05:00 AM

Moving to: Archived MegaZeux Bugs

#7 User is online  
Lachesis 

Posted 02 October 2020 - 09:42 PM

Moving to: MegaZeux Bugs

#8 User is online  
Lachesis 

Posted 02 October 2020 - 09:49 PM

Updating status to: Confirmed
Updating severity to: 3 - Medium

After taking a deep dive into why sam 0 doesn't work properly for .sam files I think I figured out what's going wrong here: the old SAM to WAV conversion code was accidentally generating stereo WAV files and the overall frequency of all sound effects was halved to compensate for this (easily fixable) bug. When asie replaced the SAM to WAV converter with a proper SAM loader they started getting treated as signed 16 bit mono samples instead due to wav_read_data not having an implementation for SAMPLE_S8. This ended up sounding roughly the same as the "stereo" WAVs so it wasn't really noticed by any of us.

I still don't know why this wasn't noticeable to me before when comparing the Bernard the Bard samples, but it is definitely obvious with AD_LAZER.SAM comparing what played before with what plays with my (in progress) fix.

#9 User is online  
Lachesis 

Posted 05 October 2020 - 09:41 AM

Updating status to: Awaiting Feedback
Updating severity to: 1 - Low

The sam 0 bug was fixed in GIT ec47ada7. Revvy clarified on Discord that he specifically remembers the samples playing at about double the speed/frequency as they currently do. I can't really reproduce this particular thing but it's specific enough that it might be worth checking e.g. some of the lesser used BWSB audio drivers for oddities. Either way this is kind of subjective and not particularly urgent.

Page 1 of 1

0 User(s) are reading this issue
0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users