dMZX Forums: Dynamic .ogg loop changing? -> Archived Requests -> Tracker

Report ID 726 Title Dynamic .ogg loop changing?
Product Archived Requests Status Implemented (Severity 1 - Low)
Version 2.92 Fixed in 2.92

Page 1 of 1
  • Cannot start a new Issue
  • Closed Issue This issue is locked

Report ID #726: Dynamic .ogg loop changing?

Zinfandel 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 30 September 2018 - 04:49 AM

Basically, I have an OGG file where I'd like to be able to dynamically change the LOOP START and LOOP LENGTH points to make the portion of the audio track that loops be dependent on where the player is, either on the board or between boards, controllable by a robot. A 'variable mix' song, as it were. Is it possible to edit those metatags on the OGG from Megazeux while the song is playing? If not, would it be possible to implement variables in Megazeux imported from the metatags that can control those? We already have MOD_POSITION, but I think that's a bit different.

I'm probably phrasing this poorly as hell, but it's late and I'm tired. I just think it'd be cool to do.

Page 1 of 1  

Replies (1 - 5)

Lachesis 

• the pinnacle of human emotion
  • Group: DigiStaff

Posted 30 September 2018 - 07:43 AM

Counters to look at and change the start and the end positions of the loop while an OGG is playing should definitely be doable and this sounds like a useful feature. I'd like to think about it a little more and run it by the other developers but I don't see any reason something like this couldn't be added as soon as 2.92.

To clarify, something like this would not be used to change the tags in the OGG file itself (i.e. if you reloaded the OGG it would derive the start and end of the loop from the original LOOPSTART/LOOPLENGTH tags again). It's also worth noting that such counters would map badly to tracker music (for both reading and writing), and I feel like we should intentionally omit support for them with WAV files to discourage the use of WAVs/SAMs as BGM. This means we'd be adding new counters that are solely for OGG files. I don't think this is necessarily a bad thing, but it's something I'm considering regardless.
"Let's just say I'm a GOOD hacker, AND virus maker. I'm sure you wouldn't like to pay for another PC would you?"

xx̊y (OST) - HELLQUEST (OST) - Zeux I: Labyrinth of Zeux (OST) (DOS OST)
w/ Lancer-X and/or asgromo: Pandora's Gate - Thanatos Insignia - no True(n) - For Elise OST
MegaZeux: Online Help File - Keycode Guide - Joystick Guide - Official GIT Repository

Zinfandel 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 01 October 2018 - 01:14 PM

Lachesis, on 30 September 2018 - 01:43 AM, said:

To clarify, something like this would not be used to change the tags in the OGG file itself (i.e. if you reloaded the OGG it would derive the start and end of the loop from the original LOOPSTART/LOOPLENGTH tags again). It's also worth noting that such counters would map badly to tracker music (for both reading and writing), and I feel like we should intentionally omit support for them with WAV files to discourage the use of WAVs/SAMs as BGM. This means we'd be adding new counters that are solely for OGG files. I don't think this is necessarily a bad thing, but it's something I'm considering regardless.

Yes, this is exactly what I was thinking! Thank you.

E: If someone is willing to try implementing the counters into, like, a beta version, I'll try making a proof of concept of what can be done/what I'd like to do with them.

This post has been edited by Zitman: 01 October 2018 - 02:02 PM

Lachesis 

Posted 01 October 2018 - 06:00 PM

Updating status to: Approved
Updating severity to: 1 - Low
Updating version to: 2.92

Got nothing when I linked it in the development chat so I'm going to go ahead and approve this for 2.92 anyway. Counter names will probably be "OGG_LOOP_START"/"OGG_LOOP_END".
"Let's just say I'm a GOOD hacker, AND virus maker. I'm sure you wouldn't like to pay for another PC would you?"

w/ Lancer-X and/or asgromo: Pandora's Gate - Thanatos Insignia - no True(n) - For Elise OST
MegaZeux: Online Help File - Keycode Guide - Joystick Guide - Official GIT Repository

Lachesis 

Posted 03 February 2019 - 05:04 AM

Updating status to: Implemented
Issue fixed in: 2.92

Implemented in GIT 5e4416a8 in the master-2.92 branch.

Terryn 

Posted 23 July 2019 - 12:28 AM

Moving to: Archived Requests

Page 1 of 1

0 User(s) are reading this issue
0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users