dMZX Forums: ADG Lazer Warz - dMZX Forums

Message from the Management

When you finish a new game, demo, engine, or utility, the first thing to do is submit it to the archive for approval. (Log in first, then Upload a New Game from the sidebar.) Then feel free to post about it in this forum; in fact, please continue to do this. This is so people will actually know about your game and play it. As nice as it is to have archive uploads automated, it's not going to help much if no one knows you have a new game to play.

When uploading your games to the archive, please zip up your game using the .ZIP format, even if it is just a .MZX file. As for less popular formats (such as RAR and 7Z), games uploaded in these formats will be rejected. This is because as wonderful as those compression algorithms might be, ZIP is a near universal compression standard, and the only one that will work with the in-game archive browser planned for MZX.

You can also attach your game to a new thread in this forum. In this case, you can use whatever compression format you find suitable. NOTE: Games posted this way won't be put into the archive unless submitted to the archive proper, or unless the author states he/she wants the game in.

Lastly, we suggest you post a suitable screenshot of your submission (in PNG format) along with the game.
Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

ADG Lazer Warz My first MegaZeux game since 2001!

#1 User is offline   Gemini 

• PixelShips Master
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 25 April 2022 - 03:30 PM

I wonder if anyone here even still recognizes me... ;D

Hey, everyone! Been quite awhile since I was last here and even longer since I last released a MegaZeux game (2001 I think?), but for the sake of the Ancient DOS Games web show I've been doing since 2010, I decided to make an ENTIRE GAME in MegaZeux and talk about the process and give an overview of the core mechanics of the game in video form!

Posted Image

The game itself, built in the old DOS 2.51 version of MegaZeux, is called ADG Lazer Warz, and is centred around a player-fired lazer mechanic, whereby you can cycle between four different lazer colours and by matching the lazer colour to the enemies you're shooting, you will do quadruple damage! The game features 15 levels in total and takes about 3 to 4 hours to complete once you know what you're doing, probably a little longer if you're still learning to solve some of the puzzles in place, or learning how to get past any of the five bosses the game throws at you!

Posted Image

I only just submitted the game to the DigitalMZX archive so it may not be available there yet as I'm posting this announcement, but once it is you can find it on this page of the site: https://www.digitalm...how.php?id=2708

Or, if you want to download it right away, it's available from the MegaZeux Games section of my own website: http://www.pixelship...m/megazeux.html

Or, if you want to watch the ADG video I made in tandem with this game to see how I put together its core mechanics and discussing my ancient knowledge of how the old 2.51 version of MegaZeux worked, here's a link to the video on YouTube: https://youtu.be/Udu_0Q5ym8k

I don't plan to stick around for long as I've got tons of stuff on my plate and MegaZeux isn't something I really want to return to on a regular basis, but it had been awhile since I last used it and until now I never really did complete my own original game for the thing, as some of you may recall that BattleSuits was killed by a hard drive crash just two weeks before it was done in the year 2000, but it was definitely fun going back to it and seeing if I could actually accomplish something like this given how long it had been since I last used it! : D

Also... as you may've guessed, since I used MegaZeux 2.51 to develop the game I have NO IDEA if it actually runs right in a modern MegaZeux release, so... if any weird glitches show up as such, please let me know so I can try to fix them! : B

And lastly, if anyone wants to use the underlying engine in this game to make their own game, feel free! Just remember to credit me for creating the multi-coloured lazer engine you're using! ; )

#2 User is offline   Frankie 

• Pip

Posted 25 April 2022 - 05:47 PM

Congrats on the release!

Playing it on 2.92f, everything seems fine for now.

#3 User is offline   Maxim 

• Dismember
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 02 May 2022 - 05:03 PM

I'm enjoying this so far, but damn is it hard. I keep getting wrecked before making it past the third board. What exactly is upgrading a laser's level supposed to do? I'm reluctant to just look in the editor because I feel like all my losses so far are entirely my fault and don't want to cheat.

I remember when you lost your hard drive. That sucked. I doubt you still have the drive, but in the off chance you do... how damaged was it? Hard drive recovery is a hell of a lot easier now than it was 20 year ago. Unless the head seized, or scored off a portion of the platter.

#4 User is offline   Gemini 

• PixelShips Master
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 04 May 2022 - 07:39 PM

View PostMaxim, on 02 May 2022 - 01:03 PM, said:

I'm enjoying this so far, but damn is it hard. I keep getting wrecked before making it past the third board. What exactly is upgrading a laser's level supposed to do? I'm reluctant to just look in the editor because I feel like all my losses so far are entirely my fault and don't want to cheat.

I remember when you lost your hard drive. That sucked. I doubt you still have the drive, but in the off chance you do... how damaged was it? Hard drive recovery is a hell of a lot easier now than it was 20 year ago. Unless the head seized, or scored off a portion of the platter.

Upgrading a lazer increases the rate it recharges at. Not very noticeable at Lv 2 but VERY noticeable at Lv 3 and 4!

The colours don't HAVE to match. Using the wrong lazer colours in a fight is a good way to help keep the bots off of you while waiting for the other lazers to recharge, plus they still do damage. Almost all of the bots also have a tendency to gang up on you so try to keep your distance and keep moving!

As for the dead HDD, I do indeed still have it. Its death was due to a short circuit INSIDE one of the ICs, leading to it melting and exploding through the casing, so the platters are probably still perfectly fine. The thing is though, even if I did get it repaired, my ideas on how to make Battlesuits have matured considerably, so if I was to try making that game again it wouldn't be in MegaZeux. Perhaps someday, but I have other game ideas taking priority at the moment. :B

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users