• +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

MegaZeux 2.84 FOUR~!!!!

#31 User is offline   Lachesis 

• the pinnacle of human emotion
  • Group: DigiStaff

Posted 17 June 2012 - 08:07 PM

Yeah, the MacPorts bit is my fault for using it for the official release instead of building all of my own damn dependencies. I'll do it right for 2.84b, I swear <_<

edit: I don't know if you've been watching the tracker, but 9.mzx runs in the latest GIT : )!

This post has been edited by Lachesis: 17 June 2012 - 08:08 PM

"Let's just say I'm a GOOD hacker, AND virus maker. I'm sure you wouldn't like to pay for another PC would you?"

xx̊y (OST) - HELLQUEST (OST) - Zeux I: Labyrinth of Zeux (OST) (DOS OST)
w/ Lancer-X and/or asgromo: Pandora's Gate - Thanatos Insignia - no True(n) - For Elise OST
MegaZeux: Online Help File - Keycode Guide - Joystick Guide - Official GIT Repository

#32 User is offline   Spectere 

• Resident Spectere Fanboy
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 17 June 2012 - 08:23 PM

Eh, no worries. I'll keep your punishment fairly reasonable: hanging you up by your ankles and telling a bunch of little kids that you're a piñata. The welts should go away after a few weeks and I'm sure you'll have learned your lesson.

And GASP! My weapon against the MegaZeux community has been defused! Guess I'll have to find new ways of breaking the program.
:)

#33 User is offline   Lachesis 

Posted 17 June 2012 - 08:26 PM

Good luck! Jerk!! When 2.84b comes out NOTHING will be able to stop MegaZeux (except 32767w * 32767h boards, you just don't do that, some of us don't have 8GB memory here)!!!!

edit: don't hold me to that, otherwise Old-Sckool will make me eat those words 2 minutes after the release with a new crash bug
"Let's just say I'm a GOOD hacker, AND virus maker. I'm sure you wouldn't like to pay for another PC would you?"

w/ Lancer-X and/or asgromo: Pandora's Gate - Thanatos Insignia - no True(n) - For Elise OST
MegaZeux: Online Help File - Keycode Guide - Joystick Guide - Official GIT Repository

#34 User is offline   Spectere 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 17 June 2012 - 09:07 PM

Eh, I have more than enough RAM in my main system. I think I'm going to make a MegaZeux epic set on a single 32767x32767 board just to spite everyone (actually, I think we all know that would never happen...Spectere, finishing a game? lololol).

I do like the error message that 9.mzx generates. Very classy. :(

Edit: Hey Lachesis, try doing an "ls /usr/bin/powerpc*" and see if the PowerPC toolchain is installed on your system. My iMac is currently running Leopard, has Xcode 3.1.4, and based on what I'm seeing, I can do a 4-way Universal binary on this system. As long as you're running Leopard and are using a version of Xcode under 4, you should be able to do so as well, unless Apple crippled the Intel release of Xcode.

I can say with 100% certainty that I can't create PowerPC binaries from Lion, though. I might be able to lipo them into a Universal Binary, but I definitely can't build them out of the box.

Edit 2: Universal binary: http://dev.spectere....al-20120618.dmg

As an added bonus, all of the required dylibs are bundled in the .app and are referenced properly, so this is a standalone build that will work with both PowerPC and Intel Macs with no fooling around required (it's a bit of a process, but I have noted all of the steps).

The only catch -- and this is hardly an issue at this time -- is that it is not compiled for 64-bit PPC or x86-64. I don't feel that ppc64 is a worthwhile time investment to bother with, plus I doubt that the G5 is half as popular as the 32-bit G4. As for x86-64, I believe the reason that failed to run was because I inadvertently broke SDL in order to get it to compile. libogg, libvorbis, and libpng should all be fine, as they all compiled gracefully, but SDL is kind of a big deal in this case.

I don't consider it to be a big deal at this time, since x86 applications work perfectly fine on Lion, and I can't see that changing any time soon. I'll try to fix it properly (I didn't try too hard and, obviously, my fix wasn't tested at all) but that'll have to happen tomorrow at the earliest, since I needs me sleeps.

One other idea that I had is to try and lipo the PPC binaries from my iLamp with x86/x86-64 binaries generated with from my Air. I can't see why that wouldn't work.

Also, note that this build is based on the latest git snapshot. When I get home from work tomorrow I'll make a build of 2.84.

This post has been edited by Spectere: 18 June 2012 - 06:02 AM

#35 User is offline   Lachesis 

Posted 18 June 2012 - 08:12 AM

Sorry, missed the edits until now -- I'll try that out tomorrow on my iMac.

#36 User is offline   ajs 

• carpe diem
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 18 June 2012 - 08:00 PM

FWIW, I solved these problems in earlier releases and documented it. If it helps, there's also a deps package checked into scripts/ that has all the deps as static libraries, so there's no need to mess around with lipo'ing/packing dynamic libraries into the .app. It doesn't depend on MacPorts.

The last build I did also only did i686 and powerpc (32bit). There's probably no point in a 4-way lipo; it'll make the package too big for minimal gain.

This is all documented in arch/darwin/README -- admittedly the doc might need updating, and the deps could probably do with a refresh, but (IMO!) the Old Way is definitely the Best Way.

--ajs.

This post has been edited by ajs: 18 June 2012 - 08:22 PM

#37 User is offline   Spectere 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 18 June 2012 - 10:16 PM

Yeah, that's what I get for not reading the fine manual. :( It was a very educational process, though, so I'm glad that I did it the way that I did.

From the look of it, we should be able to build MZX on 10.5 using the same method. The only difference is that it uses the descriptor "darwin9" instead of "darwin10." The resulting binary still works great in Lion.

I also agree with you on the size concerns. The current Universal binary is already 6.1MB with two architectures. Not much sense in needlessly doubling it for (1) an architecture that few people use and (2) an architecture that plays well with 32-bit binaries. That being said, how would you feel about having two separate builds, like Linux/Windows, a Universal binary for older Macs and a smaller 64-bit Intel-only binary for newer ones?

This post has been edited by Spectere: 18 June 2012 - 10:16 PM

#38 User is offline   ajs 

• carpe diem
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 18 June 2012 - 10:26 PM

Yes. The instructions were written against Snow Leopard, I can't exactly remember why. I guess that was the latest thing out at the time I wrote them. Lach was using 10.5 so I made a Makefile change to support overriding the various toolchains. I think a binary compiled on 10.6 will still work on Tiger + Leopard because we specify -mmacosx-version-min=10.4 in the Makefile (except for amd64, which was introduced with Leopard). Forward compatibility shouldn't be problematic.

how would you feel about having two separate builds
Lach's call -- I don't have any objections. I'm sure nobody will object to extra contributed binaries. I do think that static builds are better though, because they are smaller.

--ajs.

This post has been edited by ajs: 18 June 2012 - 10:28 PM

#39 User is offline   Lachesis 

Posted 18 June 2012 - 11:53 PM

The only question I have is: how much of MZX's userbase uses 64-bit Intel vs. older machines anyway?

#40 User is offline   Spectere 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 19 June 2012 - 12:29 AM

2.84 Universal Binary, statically linked: http://dev.spectere....n-universal.dmg. Thanks for the pointers, ajs!

I did have to change up the configure line for the libraries, though, since the ones in the README didn't work for me. This is what I used for all of them (I also switched the optimization line a bit):

PPC: CFLAGS="-O3 -mmacosx-version-min=10.4 -arch ppc" LDFLAGS="-arch ppc" ./configure --prefix=$HOME/dev/ws/ppc --disable-shared --enable-static --build=powerpc-apple-darwin --host=powerpc-apple-darwin

x86: CFLAGS="-O3 -mmacosx-version-min=10.4 -arch i386" LDFLAGS="-arch i386" ./configure --prefix=$HOME/dev/ws/x86 --disable-shared --enable-static --build=i686-apple-darwin --host=i686-apple-darwin

Those are very similar to the lines that I used to build the dylibs from the last build, only I just threw them into two separate directories instead of lipoing them.

I'm pretty sure I know why I had issues with getting SDL compiled for x86_64 on my PPC. I was trying to use build-scripts/fatbuild.sh in SDL's distribution and somehow I missed the "-mmacosx-version-min=10.6" build flag that it uses for x86_64. Yeah, not going to happen on that system.

View Postajs, on 18 June 2012 - 06:26 PM, said:

I do think that static builds are better though, because they are smaller.

They certainly are. They cut down the size of the Universal binary by 33%. I like.

View PostLachesis, on 18 June 2012 - 07:53 PM, said:

The only question I have is: how much of MZX's userbase uses 64-bit Intel vs. older machines anyway?

I do. :]

Really, though, it would have the same appeal as the 64-bit Windows version. Not really essential, but nice to have. Also, with Macs, any system with a Core 2 is 64-bit capable, and since the binary wouldn't be Universal it would take up less space (not like ~2MB is a huge deal nowadays, but meh).

This post has been edited by Spectere: 19 June 2012 - 12:30 AM

#41 User is offline   burstroc 

• i liek digtalmxz :o)
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 20 June 2012 - 07:05 AM

My heroes :(

I'm here for testing, uh, etc. I have a 64 bit Intel Mac and a PPC 32.

#42 User is offline   Spectere 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 20 June 2012 - 11:40 PM

<3

Heh, my two test systems are 64-bit Intel and 32-bit PPC as well. What version of OS X are you running (psst, if your PPC is running Tiger, that would be really awesome for testing purposes).

#43 User is offline   burstroc 

• i liek digtalmxz :o)
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 21 June 2012 - 07:55 PM

Leopard here, sorry. It's easy to throw it on an external and boot it though.

#44 User is offline   Spectere 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 22 June 2012 - 04:40 AM

I actually have quite a lot of hard drive space left on my iMac (I use my Air for most of my stuff), so I might just break down, partition that mother, and dual-boot. We shall see!

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users