Snake! You can't do that! You'll create a TIME PARADOX

#62 User is offline   Lachesis 

• the pinnacle of human emotion
  • Group: DigiStaff

Posted 20 July 2010 - 06:23 AM

Yeah instead of MZXer names let's use celebrities

Posted Image

Never mind, I think I'll stick with MZXer names
"Let's just say I'm a GOOD hacker, AND virus maker. I'm sure you wouldn't like to pay for another PC would you?"

xx̊y (OST) - HELLQUEST (OST) - Zeux I: Labyrinth of Zeux (OST) (DOS OST)
w/ Lancer-X and/or asgromo: Pandora's Gate - Thanatos Insignia - no True(n) - For Elise OST
MegaZeux: Online Help File - Keycode Guide - Joystick Guide - Official GIT Repository

#63 User is offline   Old-Sckool 

• megazeux breaker
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 20 July 2010 - 07:50 AM

This was probably one of the worst DOZes ever. I mean, how many games actually used the nanomachines theme?

Also, if for some reason we still need a judge, I could probably judge this doz. My entry is gonna be DQ'ed either way.

This post has been edited by Old-Sckool: 20 July 2010 - 07:53 AM

<Nadir> mzxers don't make GAMES, usually
<phthalocyanine> they make experiences.
<Nadir> demos, more like
<Nadir> a glimpse into what could have been if mzx wasn't such a bore to work with
<Nadir> actually, i'm being unfair
<Nadir> i would have made mzx games if it was capable of running on more than 20 computers worldwide in 1998
<Nadir> >:D

<%Alice> functor
<%nooodl> i hear C++ has a thing called functors and they're completely different from Haskell functors...
<rorirover> the result is the most horrid thing in C++, it's basically black magic and it transforms any code you're writing into some eldritch monstrosity

#64 User is offline   duvel 

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 20 July 2010 - 08:49 AM

I was rather curious about that, actually. I mean we had a few sign ups minus judges, why were there only a few ACTUAL games? And these are good topics, too!
"If organized religion is the opium of the masses, then disorganized religion is the marijuana of the lunatic fringe." -Kerry Thornley
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and the stupidity of mankind, and I'm not sure about the former." -Albert Einstein
"I wanna take a ride on your disco stick." -duvel

#65 User is offline   Exophase 

• Laughing on the inside.

Posted 20 July 2010 - 02:00 PM

duvel, on 20 July 2010 - 04:49 AM, said:

I was rather curious about that, actually. I mean we had a few sign ups minus judges, why were there only a few ACTUAL games? And these are good topics, too!

It's normal to get a bunch of people who sign up then don't submit anything. Lots of broken games with barely any content and joke games is pretty par for the course too, although people are putting way less effort into the joke games these days.

Just a bad DoZ, they happen. Probably not the worst one ever. Still had at least one pretty good game.

As for the higher incidence of videos and non-MZX stuff... I expect that whoever submitted SuperZZT knew someone was submitting DOS MZX. The videos are just a byproduct of Mr_Alert's converter and the interest it sparked for asie I guess.

Risu bitter much about being flailed over judging?
~ ex0 has a kickass battle engine, without it you sux0rz! without it you sux0rz! ~

"The fact that I say I've one of the best, is called honesty." -Akwende
"Megazeux is not ment to be just ASCII, it is ANSI!" - T-bone6
"I hate it when you get all exo on me." - emalkay

Exophase can what Rubi-cant.
exoware is ware ur ware is exoware
ps. not loking 4 new membrs kthx

#66 User is offline   asiekierka 

• ??
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 20 July 2010 - 02:07 PM

oh man

Mr_Alert - MZX for DOS
duvel - SuperZZT game
Lancer - 41608 video, Mr_Alert's converter or custom one
asiekierka - 85132 video, the "engine data generator for my other MZX games and the DoZ one" part made before the DoZ, then i changed my mind and made a video generator app during the DoZ

We didn't know duvel submitted a SuperZZT game, but we knew Mr_Alert was working on MZX for DOS. I didn't know he submitted it, tho
Huh.

#67 User is offline   Dr Lancer-X 

• 電波、届いた?

Posted 20 July 2010 - 02:55 PM

41608 was a custom converter written from scratch during the DoZ. The char allocation code is good, the palette allocation code not so good unfortunately, but I didn't want to spend too much time playing with it.

わーふ!
Posted Image
<Malwyn> Yes, yes. Don't worry I'd rather masturbate with broken glass than ask you for help again. :(

#68 User is offline   duvel 

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 20 July 2010 - 05:50 PM

I had no idea what anyone was doing when I planned the SuperZZT game. I think I played TF2 or worked on some weird issue I had with GZDoom for most of the DoZ. My original plan was to make an ACTUAL SuperZZT game (a short one obviously) but SuperZZT is too much of a bitch to use. When I played the title screen and figured out that I had no good way of properly figuring out what I can see in the viewport I just sort of was like "I'll do it later." Then I didn't.

The idea was just "let's do grey goo with slimes."
"If organized religion is the opium of the masses, then disorganized religion is the marijuana of the lunatic fringe." -Kerry Thornley
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and the stupidity of mankind, and I'm not sure about the former." -Albert Einstein

#69 User is offline   Risu2112 

• I can't get the top off this bottle
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 20 July 2010 - 06:09 PM

Exophase, on 20 July 2010 - 07:00 AM, said:

Risu bitter much about being flailed over judging?

Not really I ended up having quite a bit of fun since I had log files pretty much exonerating me of any wrong doing.
The judging team this time around seems pretty solid so we might end up without any drama from them. :\
Respond! Vibrate! Feed back! Resonate!
<Cybersilver> "All my sugestions are for FUTER VERSIONS. Say it with me Fu-ter futer. Yep..."
9-21-2009, SFMZX game play video: HERE
Risu2112

#70 User is offline   Exophase 

Posted 21 July 2010 - 04:00 PM

Lancer-X, on 20 July 2010 - 10:55 AM, said:

41608 was a custom converter written from scratch during the DoZ. The char allocation code is good, the palette allocation code not so good unfortunately, but I didn't want to spend too much time playing with it.

わーふ!

Ah, so the host himself is responsible for 20MB of shit and the most annoying entry (okay maybe that's just me). At least the converter isn't lame like asie's.

Back to blaming Lancer-X!

Mr_Alert having done the DOS MZX port is obvious. He's been talking about doing it for years.
~ ex0 has a kickass battle engine, without it you sux0rz! without it you sux0rz! ~

#71 User is offline   KKairos 

• not an actual chipmunk
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 21 July 2010 - 04:58 PM

duvel, on 20 July 2010 - 01:49 AM, said:

Here's what KKairos's weekend was going to be:

DoZ with Maxim, then find a place to church and hopefully avoid sleeping there-through.

Here's what it was going to be once he found out there were TWO WEDDINGS HE COULDN'T SKIP scheduled for that weekend, one during the DoZ:

All that, plus a wedding during contest and on Sunday.

So when he found out Maxim wasn't seen around it was quite a relief not to have to DoZ.

But then he decided to do a stupid 2 hour game anyway. Hence the craptastic "One Tower, One Life."

Granted, KKairos would've been happy with a no-wedding weekend, partner or no partner, and probably would've tried to act on his awesome idea for a game on that basis. But such a thing was not in the stars or some other fate-tastic metaphor, so you got an un-actual-game from him.

in short "This weekend was a shit weekend for a DoZ for me. Period."

And for some reason, even though the topics were pretty awesome (I agree they were pretty awesome) nobody seemed to be able to just power through their craptastic entries until they got better. For whatever reason. Not quite sure why that is, people can give their own why-this-DoZ-was-awful rants if they want. I think they should! I really do wish I'd had a better weekend to DoZ on, frankly. But I didn't.
darganflayer.net kaikairos.dev itch.io

#72 User is offline   Exophase 

Posted 21 July 2010 - 05:32 PM

Dammit Maxim, stop bailing on everything :confused:

#73 User is offline   Dr Lancer-X 

• 電波、届いた?

Posted 22 July 2010 - 02:21 AM

I wish I'd entered this one now. Could have gotten my 4th (or 5th if we don't count Summer 2008) win in a row quite easily by the looks of it

Then again;

1) I didn't have any ideas for games this time and wasn't feeling particularly motivated
2) If I signed up it might have encouraged more people to enter / not bail out
3) I think I'm running out of DoZing luck anyway
Posted Image
<Malwyn> Yes, yes. Don't worry I'd rather masturbate with broken glass than ask you for help again. :(

#74 User is offline   Exophase 

Posted 22 July 2010 - 03:34 AM

But if you entered someone else would have hosted and we would have had stupid topics instead of good ones.

#75 User is offline   KKairos 

• not an actual chipmunk
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 22 July 2010 - 09:40 AM

I'm not really at all mad at Maxim on that front. Made my weekend substantially less stressful.
darganflayer.net kaikairos.dev itch.io

#76 User is offline   duvel 

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 23 July 2010 - 07:43 AM

I think most of the judges are getting their stuff done, so at least the judging will go over fine. It's unfortunate that I won't be around to see the controversy :confused:.

Share this topic:

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users