• +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Summer 2010 Day of Zeux site up

#1 User is offline   Dr Lancer-X 

• 電波、届いた?
  • Group: DigiStaff

Posted 02 July 2010 - 07:17 AM

The website for the Summer 2010 Day of Zeux is up and registration is open. Feel free to sign up whenever.

The Day of Zeux begins in a little over two weeks.
Posted Image
<Malwyn> Yes, yes. Don't worry I'd rather masturbate with broken glass than ask you for help again. :(

#2 User is offline   Wervyn 

• I can see you

Posted 02 July 2010 - 12:35 PM

I did actually volunteer for judging awhile back, so you can add my name to that list (unless you don't want me on that list). Still need to find two more, though.

"What do you mean I can't do whatever I want?"
To lie is to change the truth.
..Ignorance is to be unaware of the truth.
....Incompetence is to be unable to grasp the truth.
......And escape is to run away from the truth.
It is useless to run, since the truth is right next to you.

-Wervyn

#3 User is offline   Dr Lancer-X 

• 電波、届いた?

Posted 02 July 2010 - 01:57 PM

I know you did, but you weren't around when I asked to confirm earlier and I wanted to make sure you were still willing before adding you. Added.
Posted Image
<Malwyn> Yes, yes. Don't worry I'd rather masturbate with broken glass than ask you for help again. :(

#4 User is offline   Lachesis 

• the pinnacle of human emotion

Posted 02 July 2010 - 03:35 PM

Signed up, but I did already mention that I might not participate yesterday, and in that case, I'll consider acting as a stand-in if somebody can't judge for some reason.
"Let's just say I'm a GOOD hacker, AND virus maker. I'm sure you wouldn't like to pay for another PC would you?"

xx̊y (OST) - HELLQUEST (OST) - Zeux I: Labyrinth of Zeux (OST) (DOS OST)
w/ Lancer-X and/or asgromo: Pandora's Gate - Thanatos Insignia - no True(n) - For Elise OST
MegaZeux: Online Help File - Keycode Guide - Joystick Guide - Official GIT Repository

#5 User is offline   duvel 

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 02 July 2010 - 05:02 PM

I'll say officially that I'm offering to judge.
"If organized religion is the opium of the masses, then disorganized religion is the marijuana of the lunatic fringe." -Kerry Thornley
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and the stupidity of mankind, and I'm not sure about the former." -Albert Einstein
"I wanna take a ride on your disco stick." -duvel

#6 User is offline   Old-Sckool 

• megazeux breaker
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 02 July 2010 - 09:40 PM

Who wants to make a horribly unfinished game with me?
<Nadir> mzxers don't make GAMES, usually
<phthalocyanine> they make experiences.
<Nadir> demos, more like
<Nadir> a glimpse into what could have been if mzx wasn't such a bore to work with
<Nadir> actually, i'm being unfair
<Nadir> i would have made mzx games if it was capable of running on more than 20 computers worldwide in 1998
<Nadir> >:D

<%Alice> functor
<%nooodl> i hear C++ has a thing called functors and they're completely different from Haskell functors...
<rorirover> the result is the most horrid thing in C++, it's basically black magic and it transforms any code you're writing into some eldritch monstrosity

#7 User is offline   Dr Lancer-X 

• 電波、届いた?

Posted 03 July 2010 - 03:13 PM

View Postduvel, on 03 July 2010 - 03:02 AM, said:

I'll say officially that I'm offering to judge.

Okay, added.

EDIT: Actually, I should confirm first.. I'm going to be following the strict judging quality / timeframe standards originally outlined by Wervyn in the Summer DoZ last year. To refresh your memory:

It is especially important that prospective judges understand up front that the rules this year are going to be strict. I for one, and I imagine many others, have gotten sick and tired of the "do it when I feel like it, how I feel like it" attitude that surrounds judging like a bad odor. I've been pushing for tighter guidelines on judging for the past two DoZs now with very little success, and that's one of the reasons I wanted to take the reins this time. To be short: scores should be finished no later than one week after the end of the competition. That's the OUTSIDE. I also expect at least 300 quality words written on average about each game, in comments. I'd LIKE more, but I'm setting that as a minimum, noting that that's approximately 50 words per category, or a couple of decently sized sentences. This is, of course, on average. Very often there are at least a few joke games where brevity is the soul of wit, or at least it doesn't make sense to spend a lot of time coming up with 300 words to explain that "this game sucked". On the other hand, one thing judges definitely should be doing is spending a proportionate amount of time defending scores that are significantly off the average. That is, if you as a judge think that your score is likely to be significantly different from the other judges' scores, you should probably spend some extra time on that game explaining why you think so and countering potential arguments. Otherwise, you're just going to get yelled at, first by me and then by everyone else. I could come up with a hard mathematical formula to get a number of "acceptable words" on a given game, but honestly, it'd be easier for the judges to just use common sense (which seems an unfortunate rarity, but anyway).

So, if a judge can't finish their scores to an acceptable level by the deadline, then those scores will be dropped, no questions or arguments brooked. If a judge hands me scores that I think are clearly deficient, I will tell him where, and make him do them again, and STILL expect them to be finished by the deadline. Unless I somehow end up with less than three scoresheets by the end of the week (which I find hard to believe with the current lineup, even as lazy as I am), scores will be totaled and posted on that deadline. I would like to end up with five scoresheets, but three would be enough for a consensus opinion among the judges. So if you don't think you can live up to these admittedly stringent requirements, don't apply to be a judge.

Just to make sure you're aware.
Posted Image

#8 User is offline   Lachesis 

Posted 03 July 2010 - 03:53 PM

My team-mate BrokeNCYDE made a cool song to get u pumped 4 the Day of Zeux
"Let's just say I'm a GOOD hacker, AND virus maker. I'm sure you wouldn't like to pay for another PC would you?"

w/ Lancer-X and/or asgromo: Pandora's Gate - Thanatos Insignia - no True(n) - For Elise OST
MegaZeux: Online Help File - Keycode Guide - Joystick Guide - Official GIT Repository

#9 User is offline   zzo38 

• Registered members
  • PipPipPip

Posted 03 July 2010 - 08:00 PM

Perhaps I should mention what I think is a typing mistake? You forgot to fix the version number in both places?

......game in MZX 2.83, so please make........ not play properly in 2.82b......
(Also, it isn't exactly true. Files that my fork produces play fine in 2.83 as long as the first line of the global robot is not a comment containing a greater than sign at first (although I am nearly sure that probably nobody cares) (but save-files are not compatible).)
In Capitalist America, law violates YOU!

"Potion of Confusing": Solve all the puzzles, hold second one as you hold a pencil, and save gibbering mouthers from the king's army.

#10 User is offline   duvel 

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 03 July 2010 - 09:10 PM

View PostLancer-X, on 03 July 2010 - 10:13 AM, said:

EDIT: Actually, I should confirm first.. I'm going to be following the strict judging quality / timeframe standards originally outlined by Wervyn in the Summer DoZ last year.

Not a problem. I've always been a bit verbose when I shouldn't be so quality isn't a problem, and I'm not really obligated in other things so I could knock out 17 or so games in a week easily.
"If organized religion is the opium of the masses, then disorganized religion is the marijuana of the lunatic fringe." -Kerry Thornley
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and the stupidity of mankind, and I'm not sure about the former." -Albert Einstein

#11 User is offline   CJA 

• «≡larch bucket≡»
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 04 July 2010 - 12:16 AM

hey bro I'll judge.

I'm working both days during the DoZ and can't be bothered to bother my boss enough to take off two days, and I need los dolores. But because I only work weekends, I will be able to judge the games all week. And I'll be significantly more accurate this time, since speed really hasn't been an issue for me.

Also I want to write a lot of text.
Need a dispenser here.

#12 User is offline   nooodl 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 09 July 2010 - 04:40 PM

I'm also up for judging, but last time I proposed whoever was hosting replied to me with "No." so yeah

#13 User is offline   Goshi 

• I'm dreadful of DRAGON.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 13 July 2010 - 11:35 AM

Another DoZ for another spectacular unfinished entry by Goshi.

The entry I made last time sucked real bad compared to the one before. I think the mistake was making the player try to escape from a prison complex.

No one likes doing that.

This post has been edited by Goshi: 13 July 2010 - 11:37 AM

#14 User is offline   T-Bone 

• Wastelander
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 14 July 2010 - 02:58 PM

Since its going to be on a Saturday this should be interesting... that leaves me with few hours to actually do anything since I have this poetry slam to attend. Regardless I'll give it a shot!
Youtube - teabone3 - Twitter - teabone3 - Twitch - teabone3

#15 User is offline   ajs 

• carpe diem
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 14 July 2010 - 03:00 PM

@Lancer-X: Terryn passed the message along; I can confirm being able to host the FTP again and will be around for the end of the competition.

--ajs.

#16 User is offline   T-Bone 

• Wastelander
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 16 July 2010 - 03:45 AM

Sorry guys I'm dropping out of the contest.

T-Bone Productions (T-Bone)

I won't be near a computer till Sunday night. Camping. Maybe next time... good luck to all who remain!
Youtube - teabone3 - Twitter - teabone3 - Twitch - teabone3

#17 User is offline   Dr Lancer-X 

• 電波、届いた?

Posted 17 July 2010 - 06:08 PM

oh yeah the DoZ started

Abstract topic: IMMORTALITY
Concrete topic: NANOMACHINES
Posted Image

#18 User is offline   Exophase 

• Laughing on the inside.

Posted 17 July 2010 - 06:13 PM

Good luck everyone!
~ ex0 has a kickass battle engine, without it you sux0rz! without it you sux0rz! ~

"The fact that I say I've one of the best, is called honesty." -Akwende
"Megazeux is not ment to be just ASCII, it is ANSI!" - T-bone6
"I hate it when you get all exo on me." - emalkay

Exophase can what Rubi-cant.
exoware is ware ur ware is exoware
ps. not loking 4 new membrs kthx

#19 User is offline   CJA 

• «≡larch bucket≡»
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 17 July 2010 - 06:17 PM

Fucking great topics. I get off work at 6 and eagerly await to experience your IRC chatter regarding your awful DoZ games!
Need a dispenser here.

#20 User is offline   duvel 

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 17 July 2010 - 07:36 PM

Bonus to people who use both :confused:.

#21 User is offline   Seventh Shade 

• willfully disreputable
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 17 July 2010 - 10:03 PM

Oh, damn it. I love these topics and I only have half the time for this doz.

#22 User is offline   Lachesis 

Posted 18 July 2010 - 03:31 AM

I wasn't feeling the DoZ spirit after all, so good luck to everybody still competing! I can still fill in if another judge decides not to judge, but I think you guys have that covered in spades. I'll still take DoZ screenshots and make a score/placement poster when the contest ends and the judging results come out.

edit: It's a shame, too. I really liked these topics.

This post has been edited by Lachesis: 18 July 2010 - 03:33 AM

#23 User is offline   Baby Bonnie Hood 

• Neatsome!
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 18 July 2010 - 10:53 AM

Hi, just asking to make sure if my entry was submitted successfully.
Posted Image

#24 User is offline   Dr Lancer-X 

• 電波、届いた?

Posted 18 July 2010 - 11:45 AM

View PostBaby Bonnie Hood, on 18 July 2010 - 08:53 PM, said:

Hi, just asking to make sure if my entry was submitted successfully.

Looks like it.
Posted Image

#25 User is offline   Kuddy 

• nobody
  • 3DS Friend Code:4227-0979-0064

Posted 18 July 2010 - 04:35 PM

sorry, my game was a bit too ambitious to get done in the ~12 hours i wasn't sick and able to mzx. i'm having enough fun with this project that i'm going to continue working on it and release it later, though
Posted Image
bollocks

#26 User is offline   Seventh Shade 

• willfully disreputable
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 18 July 2010 - 05:41 PM

I'm out.

#27 User is offline   Terryn 

Posted 18 July 2010 - 06:10 PM

If you want your stuff to count, you'd better submit now. Instructions are on the DoZ page.
angelic stream - shed sanguine - ill-adapt - avis - para/lyser - renaissance - dead tangent - phosphene blur - birth breeds death - ________ - painted glass - lagniappe

<Exophase> HES STEALING MAH AIRSHIP!!!!!!11111111

#28 User is offline   Terryn 

Posted 18 July 2010 - 07:22 PM

Games are up:

hippie egalitarian torrent form

stodgy inefficient http mirror form
angelic stream - shed sanguine - ill-adapt - avis - para/lyser - renaissance - dead tangent - phosphene blur - birth breeds death - ________ - painted glass - lagniappe

<Exophase> HES STEALING MAH AIRSHIP!!!!!!11111111

#29 User is offline   Lachesis 

Posted 18 July 2010 - 09:13 PM

41608 wins

22677 comes in as a close second, I guess

(admittedly, I'm only half way through the entries)

#30 User is offline   Exophase 

• Laughing on the inside.

Posted 18 July 2010 - 11:39 PM

I wonder if this will be the DoZ with the most DQed entries. Lesse..

24560: Too theme light for default scoresheet
3656: No .mzx?? Wait, a build of MZX in DOS? Man, fuck you.
41608: No theme discernable, plus I'm hoping that these damn video conversions get busted under including pre-DoZ-made non-music material.
71124: Fucking SuperZZT? Man, fuck you with 3656's entry. This fails on so many levels.
85132: See 41608
8724: Too theme light for default scoresheet
95763: No theme discernable

I'm actually assuming that for the ones where a theme can't be made out to choose a default scoresheet they're just disqualified outright in an act of mercy killing. Otherwise I suppose if one is randomly chosen there's a 50% chance of not being disqualified.

So that's likely 7 DQs, more than half the entries.

As an aside: I don't mind stupid/joke entries that are insta-DQs. But this time around we're looking at 31.4MB, of which 27MB is spent on executables/source code and stupid videos. So please, stop wasting our bandwidth and stop using the DoZ as a way to force people to look at your stupid shit.
~ ex0 has a kickass battle engine, without it you sux0rz! without it you sux0rz! ~

"The fact that I say I've one of the best, is called honesty." -Akwende
"Megazeux is not ment to be just ASCII, it is ANSI!" - T-bone6
"I hate it when you get all exo on me." - emalkay

Exophase can what Rubi-cant.
exoware is ware ur ware is exoware
ps. not loking 4 new membrs kthx

Share this topic:

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic