dMZX Forums: NEW engine released: displaying full-screen hi-res 16-color graphics - dMZX Forums

Message from the Management

When you finish a new game, demo, engine, or utility, the first thing to do is submit it to the archive for approval. (Log in first, then Upload a New Game from the sidebar.) Then feel free to post about it in this forum; in fact, please continue to do this. This is so people will actually know about your game and play it. As nice as it is to have archive uploads automated, it's not going to help much if no one knows you have a new game to play.

When uploading your games to the archive, please zip up your game using the .ZIP format, even if it is just a .MZX file. As for less popular formats (such as RAR and 7Z), games uploaded in these formats will be rejected. This is because as wonderful as those compression algorithms might be, ZIP is a near universal compression standard, and the only one that will work with the in-game archive browser planned for MZX.

You can also attach your game to a new thread in this forum. In this case, you can use whatever compression format you find suitable. NOTE: Games posted this way won't be put into the archive unless submitted to the archive proper, or unless the author states he/she wants the game in.

Lastly, we suggest you post a suitable screenshot of your submission (in PNG format) along with the game.
Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

NEW engine released: displaying full-screen hi-res 16-color graphics

#1 User is offline   Vacek 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 16 July 2022 - 11:34 PM

Hi everyone,

I’m Vacek, lurking in the MZX community since 2003 and this being my first ever actual release. :-)

I don’t know whether this would be of any use but as a technical first, it could be an interesting piece of MZX history. :-)

640x350 Hi-Res Graphics Demo

This is the first (AFAIK) 640x350x16 color hi-res bitmap display routine for MZX.

It actually uses 112 screen-sized transparent unbound sprites, filled up with differently colored versions of a char with only the top left pixel set, each layer displaced throughout the 8x14 pixels of a character cell. It is very, I mean VERY slow, but at least it looks nice. It uses a rather simple packed-pixel, memory-reordered 4bpp format I’ve named .UBS (short for unbound sprite). I’ve attached 10 .UBS files, plus a copy of title screen (the world uses a hard-coded copy of exactly the same picture) to test the graphical fidelity. I kept the MZX palette except for color 6 which I changed from the ugly brown to a more usable bright orange (RGB 63-42-00) and optimized all pictures to this palette.

I may release a .BMP to .UBS converter if anyone is interested.

https://www.digitalm...how.php?id=2711

Attached Image: screen2.png

#2 User is offline   djtiesto 

• SHOPPING PLEASE
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 17 July 2022 - 07:20 PM

This is pretty neat, I played around with it for a bit just now. It's always exciting seeing a lurker for such a long time pop in and finally say hi and release something cool. P.S. I like the Faithless quote in your av :)

A BMP to UBS converter would be very cool.
Posted Image

Posted Image

#3 User is offline   Vacek 

• Pip

Posted 17 July 2022 - 07:54 PM

View Postdjtiesto, on 17 July 2022 - 08:20 PM, said:

This is pretty neat, I played around with it for a bit just now. It's always exciting seeing a lurker for such a long time pop in and finally say hi and release something cool. P.S. I like the Faithless quote in your av :)/>/>/>/>

A BMP to UBS converter would be very cool.

Hi, thanks for your reply. :)/>/>/> I do plan to release more cool things when I’ll finally have time, same for the UBS converter. After all I have many ideas and two decades of hidden experience (although I was a wee kid when I started MZXing, so it’s rather like one and a half decades, but so what) so there are some cards up my sleeve. And I’m a man who hits on 20 and wins, so expect some great tricks! ;-)

P.S. I (also) like Faithless and thought it would be funny to combine the quote with the iconic Caverns healer’s hut where many a player had “healed their hurts”. I’m glad you liked it :-D

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users