• You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

MZXIRC A whole new IRC network...

#1 User is offline   Xx*SaturnineMatthias*xX 

• Your mother.
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 01 June 2007 - 08:10 PM

OK, there's a new IRC network in town: MZXIRC, run off a combination of home computers, Box43, and duct tape.

Since we're new, we haven't yet formulated any concrete network policies, but you can expect friendly IRCops you actually know, friendliness and all the fun that comes from a small (little 'n' local, where everyone knows each other) new IRC network run by me, JohnK, Insidious and MZXGiant.

You may connect on ports 6660-6669 at any of the following addresses:
  • irc.whatisnotmyip.com: Round-robin DNS server. Connect here if you don't care where the server is.
  • thebox.whatisnotmyip.com - The main hub server, hosted on Box43, run by MZXGiant (IRCops: MZXGiant)
  • compy386.whatisnotmyip.com: NiMa's bedroom computer (the only UK server) (IRCops: NiMa, Robdonkey (but he'll probably never be around because he hates JohnK))
  • linger.whatisnotmyip.com: Insidious's home computer, run of DSL. (IRCops: Insidious)
  • Last but not least, sexy.whatisnotmyip.com: JohnK's rather... sexual... kitchen computer. Seems to have the most relaxed IRCop policy. (IRCops: JohnK, Jenni, Skwirl)

Current official channels include #dunno, the official help channel, and #mzxirc, the general chat channel.

We run UnrealIRCd and Anope, so the user experience should be excellent, with halfop support, BotServ, and stability.
this is a signature

#2 User is offline   Pancake 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 01 June 2007 - 08:12 PM

i made a channel too!

#3 User is offline   T-Bone 

• Wastelander
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 01 June 2007 - 08:35 PM

How many MZX channels are there now?

#4 User is offline   Xx*SaturnineMatthias*xX 

• Your mother.
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 01 June 2007 - 09:17 PM

Right now most of the channels here are insane (*cough* skwirl *cough*), but we have 6 channels, not including any secret ones.

EDIT: More like 8.

This post has been edited by NihilistMatt: 01 June 2007 - 09:24 PM

this is a signature

#5 User is offline   Mr. Apol 

• medica mechanica
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 01 June 2007 - 11:02 PM

i'll be in espernet if you guys need me, okay

#6 User is offline   Tox 

• Gay cowboy
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 01 June 2007 - 11:30 PM

So this is where the bullied #mzx'ers go to hide and be safe?
lesser.swampling@hotmail.com

"about the only aisle a guy can walk into in that store and still feel heterosexual is the candy aisle."
"It had a very sinister appearance," Coakley told reporters. "It had a battery behind it, and wires."

#7 User is offline   Xx*SaturnineMatthias*xX 

• Your mother.
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 01 June 2007 - 11:48 PM

No.
this is a signature

#8 User is offline   Goshi 

• I'm dreadful of DRAGON.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 01 June 2007 - 11:50 PM

Looks pretty empty =/

#9 User is offline   Xx*SaturnineMatthias*xX 

• Your mother.
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 01 June 2007 - 11:57 PM

It just started.

What do you expect?
this is a signature

#10 User is offline   LostOne 

• Walrus, Narwhal, Polar Bear
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 02 June 2007 - 12:44 AM

Seven dollars.

In change.
Je vous écris à présent que la porte claque à jamais derrière nous.

#11 User is offline   Xx*SaturnineMatthias*xX 

• Your mother.
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 02 June 2007 - 12:57 AM

I only have ?2.30.

And that's not even really my money.
this is a signature

#12 User is offline   Dr Lancer-X 

• 電波、届いた?
  • Group: DigiStaff

Posted 02 June 2007 - 01:17 AM

why do you people feel the need to do stuff like this anyway?
Posted Image
<Malwyn> Yes, yes. Don't worry I'd rather masturbate with broken glass than ask you for help again. :(

#13 User is offline   ajs 

• carpe diem
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 02 June 2007 - 01:34 AM

It's like PFNET all over again, only probably more crappy.

--ajs.

#14 User is offline   Xx*SaturnineMatthias*xX 

• Your mother.
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 02 June 2007 - 01:40 AM

I sincerely hope you're not refusing to take this seriously solely because it was me that posted this topic.
this is a signature

#15 User is offline   Wervyn 

• I can see you

Posted 02 June 2007 - 01:54 AM

We probably wouldn't take this seriously if anyone posted this topic. Though it is true that the only people likely to try something like this are people we don't take seriously. As to Lancer's probably rhetorical question: you people feel the need to do this because you want to feel important. You want to be recognized and respected as a provider of a vital service to the community. It reminds me of Insidious and Belsambar. Or ZzCrook with pretty much anything he does. Sometimes with enough guts this will work; Apage and Insidious managed to make box43 sort of respectable. Sort of. But more often it does not.
Speaking of box43, I'd give this about as long as it takes for that to become evidently slow and unstable before people bail. Assuming they don't leave due to lack of interest in the first place. Seriously, people always complain about esper every couple months when it becomes netsplitty. I have a feeling this is going to be worse than that.

"I am the king of my own private island."
To lie is to change the truth.
..Ignorance is to be unaware of the truth.
....Incompetence is to be unable to grasp the truth.
......And escape is to run away from the truth.
It is useless to run, since the truth is right next to you.

-Wervyn

#16 User is offline   Dr Lancer-X 

• 電波、届いた?

Posted 02 June 2007 - 01:57 AM

(IRCops: JohnK, Jenni, Skwirl)

Posted Image
<Malwyn> Yes, yes. Don't worry I'd rather masturbate with broken glass than ask you for help again. :(

#17 User is offline   Pancake 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 02 June 2007 - 02:36 AM

apparently i am permbanned for some reason

#18 User is offline   burstroc 

• i liek digtalmxz :o)
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 02 June 2007 - 02:53 AM

welcome to
lame city
population: you

#19 User is offline   barbarian 

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 02 June 2007 - 09:16 AM

hahahahaha
Final Year Project Blog: http://mtsynth.blogspot.com/

#20 User is offline   XColX 

• PRODOOSAH!!
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 02 June 2007 - 11:51 AM

NihilistMatt, on Jun 2 2007, 01:40 AM, said:

I sincerely hope you're not refusing to take this seriously solely because it was me that posted this topic.

'Fraid so.

Sorry man... :-(

#21 User is offline   klinger b goode 

• Let's get closer babe
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 02 June 2007 - 12:51 PM

:(

This post has been edited by klinger b goode: 02 June 2007 - 12:51 PM

Klinger B Goode, or you gotta pay
Gotta clean the lunchroom every day

#22 User is offline   Xx*SaturnineMatthias*xX 

• Your mother.
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 02 June 2007 - 02:03 PM

Commander Pancake, on Jun 2 2007, 03:36 AM, said:

apparently i am permbanned for some reason

-OperServ- 1 Pancake!*@* I_don't_like_coming_back_from_a_bad_day_at_work_to_see_you_harassing_my_users.

heh. I come back from a good night's sleep with a kickass dream to find that Insid has already glined the hell out of you and scorch.

I didn't have anything to do with this XD

also, how did you like your PRANK
this is a signature

#23 User is offline   GetDizzy 

• Touch Fuzzy.

Posted 02 June 2007 - 05:09 PM

Wervyn, on Jun 1 2007, 08:54 PM, said:

We probably wouldn't take this seriously if anyone posted this topic.  Though it is true that the only people likely to try something like this are people we don't take seriously.  As to Lancer's probably rhetorical question: you people feel the need to do this because you want to feel important.  You want to be recognized and respected as a provider of a vital service to the community.  It reminds me of Insidious and Belsambar.  Or ZzCrook with pretty much anything he does.  Sometimes with enough guts this will work; Apage and Insidious managed to make box43 sort of respectable.  Sort of.  But more often it does not.
Speaking of box43, I'd give this about as long as it takes for that to become evidently slow and unstable before people bail.  Assuming they don't leave due to lack of interest in the first place.  Seriously, people always complain about esper every couple months when it becomes netsplitty.  I have a feeling this is going to be worse than that.

"I am the king of my own private island."

I am... ashamed at this.

You know, I don't provide Belsambar because I want to feel important. I provide Belsambar because I feel like it and because it makes me money. I provide Box43 because its a NECESSARY SERVICE.

Why do you make everyone out to be lesser than you?

Jesus Wervyn, I thought you were a good person.

We didnt do this because of some fucking egotistical reason. We did this because its fun to do. Thats it. You have to make it out to be worse than that. And why? Because NiMa started this topic. Don't for a second pretend that if it weren't him talking about this that you wouldn't have acted so harshly.

For your information, this whole thing was John's and my idea in the first place. So if you want to yell at someone, go on and yell at me. Leave Matt out of this.
- Your Jumpy Neighborhood Admin

<@Tixus> Anyway, I set the year to 1988 for some reason.
<@Tixus> And set the microwave to run for a minute and 28 seconds.
<@Tixus> But it failed to send me back in time, and I was disappointed.
<Insidious> Tixus accidentally microwaved the 80s
<Insidious> that is my takeaway from this

#24 User is offline   JohnK 

• PipPip

Posted 02 June 2007 - 05:14 PM

I have to agree with Insid here...
And I didn't start this with insid and matt to make myself feel important, I started this because I wanted the experience and because it's fun.
I already know I have no chance in the distant future of ever becoming "important" in the MZX community...
Not that I care, because I've made some really good friends here.
-John

#25 User is offline   GetDizzy 

• Touch Fuzzy.

Posted 02 June 2007 - 05:17 PM

Wervyn: I also don't like that you apparently don't take me seriously.
Guess its good to know who your real friends are.

#26 User is offline   JohnK 

• PipPip

Posted 02 June 2007 - 05:23 PM

Oh, just a quick update, #dunno is the general chat channel now. #help is the help channel.
-John

#27 User is offline   Wervyn 

• I can see you

Posted 02 June 2007 - 05:40 PM

Well let's break this down then, Insidious. What you are in effect attempting to do is create a competitor to the normative community hub, in this case on IRC. When I spoke of Belsambar, I was talking mainly about the abortive forum attempt, not the hosting service, and I'm sorry I wasn't clear about that. But that was very much the same as this: something that, if successful, would fracture the community among multiple sub-domains. Right now, and for the foreseeable future, this community simply isn't large enough to survive being fractured.

This is not something that really worries me, because it's unlikely to happen. People here generally have the innate sense that spreading the community thin over multiple forums or multiple IRC networks is a bad idea, and that's why whenever someone tries to do it, most people don't take it seriously. Usually, the only people who do are those who don't like how they're treated by people under the current community setup.

Now, if you want to start your own IRC server because you think it'll be fun, well that's fine, enjoy yourself. But you do NOT get to complain when nobody joins. That's because at best, you really are being silly, and at worst you're actively attempting to divide the community. This time I AM yelling at you.

One more thing before I close, regarding my perception of your attitude towards #zeux in light of all this. I supported #zeux because I thought it was a good idea, that #mzx needed a new face to become respectable again. And I thought you had the maturity and the capacity to manage that channel, along with wildweasel. Now, recently I haven't seen you in there much, though I have seen wildweasel trying to hold things together. Maybe I'm just missing you, maybe you actually are still active, but I've perceived you as having grown tired of the idea and moving on. This especially seems to be the case when you decide you want to be an IRCop on a startup network; have you abandoned your duties? And if you have, what exactly does that portend for this new network?

EDIT: "Guess its good to know who your real friends are." That's infantile. I might as well respond with something similarly clich?d and guilt-laden like "I used to respect you." I won't, because in fact I still do respect you. But I'm not going to apologize for telling you what I think. And the fact is, I would have responded in almost exactly the same way if you'd made this topic as I did for NihilistMatt, because that is what I think, and I do not lie to my friends to make them feel better.

"I've got oh such a hungry yearning burning inside of me."
To lie is to change the truth.
..Ignorance is to be unaware of the truth.
....Incompetence is to be unable to grasp the truth.
......And escape is to run away from the truth.
It is useless to run, since the truth is right next to you.

-Wervyn

#28 User is offline   JohnK 

• PipPip

Posted 02 June 2007 - 05:46 PM

Wervyn, on Jun 2 2007, 11:40 AM, said:

Well let's break this down then, Insidious.  What you are in effect attempting to do is create a competitor to the normative community hub, in this case on IRC.  When I spoke of Belsambar, I was talking mainly about the abortive forum attempt, not the hosting service, and I'm sorry I wasn't clear about that.  But that was very much the same as this: something that, if successful, would fracture the community among multiple sub-domains.  Right now, and for the foreseeable future, this community simply isn't large enough to survive being fractured.

This is not something that really worries me, because it's unlikely to happen.  People here generally have the innate sense that spreading the community thin over multiple forums or multiple IRC networks is a bad idea, and that's why whenever someone tries to do it, most people don't take it seriously.  Usually, the only people who do are those who don't like how they're treated by people under the current community setup.

Now, if you want to start your own IRC server because you think it'll be fun, well that's fine, enjoy yourself.  But you do NOT get to complain when nobody joins.  That's because at best, you really are being silly, and at worst you're actively attempting to divide the community.  This time I AM yelling at you.

One more thing before I close, regarding my perception of your attitude towards #zeux in light of all this.  I supported #zeux because I thought it was a good idea, that #mzx needed a new face to become respectable again.  And I thought you had the maturity and the capacity to manage that channel, along with wildweasel.  Now, recently I haven't seen you in there much, though I have seen wildweasel trying to hold things together.  Maybe I'm just missing you, maybe you actually are still active, but I've perceived you as having grown tired of the idea and moving on.  This especially seems to be the case when you decide you want to be an IRCop on a startup network; have you abandoned your duties?  And if you have, what exactly does that portend for this new network?

"I've got oh such a hungry yearning burning inside of me."

What the hell??!
At what point did we ever say that we were trying to create a "competitor to the normative community hub"...
And uh, it's fairly obvious that you must be a little bit worried, I mean, if you weren't, why would you feel the need to bring it up? :(
-John

This post has been edited by jkpj13: 02 June 2007 - 05:48 PM

#29 User is offline   GetDizzy 

• Touch Fuzzy.

Posted 02 June 2007 - 05:47 PM

Wervyn, I had an enemy on EsperNet who was DoSing me on notify...

Thats why I haven't been in #zeux.

I'm sorry if it seems like I'm shirking my duties. If you notice, I HAVE been in there recently, since I got it all sorted.

#30 User is offline   Xx*SaturnineMatthias*xX 

• Your mother.
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 02 June 2007 - 05:51 PM

Wervyn: Nobody said anything about trying to kill off #zeux or #mzx as the "community hub". If we wanted to do that, why would we create a new IRC network? Surely we'd just set up another channel on EsperNet, where the current IRC hub is.

This IRC network is a hobby for us, not an attempt to alienate the community. I didn't create compy386 thinking "Heh, I know, I'll REALLY fuck up the MZX community by creating this server and diverting everyone away from the *righteous* community centre. I'll do it so everyone reveres me as a god in the community, so I can be better than the almighty Wervyn, the omnipotent role model everyone aspires to be."

To be honest, I'm glad I'm not you. I'm glad I'm not a pretentious old-timer who thinks himself to be right all the time and believes everywhere he goes and everything he does is the correct community hub and correct community spirit.

Why are you so quick to jump at the chance to berate something new and experimental?

http://en.wikipedia....al_to_tradition

(PS: We're not trying to subvert the MZX community. Get real.)

This post has been edited by NihilistMatt: 02 June 2007 - 05:55 PM

this is a signature

Share this topic:

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users