• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

How "oldschool" graphics worked

#1 User is offline   Why-Fi 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 18 August 2015 - 10:13 PM

So I recently watched this video and I think it would be interesting to share it here, since it relates to the bread and butter of MZX development. :(
Posted Image

#2 User is offline   Dr Lancer-X 

• 電波、届いた?
  • Group: DigiStaff

Posted 18 August 2015 - 11:21 PM

Even before knowing anything about binary representation, I was able to intuit the format used for MZX's char edit command entirely because that was what I had learned with the SYMBOL command on the Amstrad CPC464. So yeah, a lot of the lessons from that era are pretty useful in MZX. There's also a lot of overlap between NES limitations and SMZX mode..
Posted Image
<Malwyn> Yes, yes. Don't worry I'd rather masturbate with broken glass than ask you for help again. :(

#3 User is offline   Graham 

• . "@Master Procrastinator"
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 19 August 2015 - 02:26 AM

Great video! Thanks for sharing it
Currently working on Servo for MegaZeux, I hope to complete it by the middle of 2015? Who knows...

"Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you’re a mile away and you have their shoes."
-Jack Handey

#4 User is offline   T-Bone 

• Wastelander
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 19 August 2015 - 03:11 AM

Great video indeed, I'm just watching it now. It really cool to think about how we got away with "new" colors in ZZT and MZX so long ago, using a lot of the same methods that were used by commodore 64 and even NES programmers.

I was actually considering a few years ago making a video documentary about using MegaZeux. This video is very similar in that it shows the start of of planning by graph paper and going in to your color limitations and how to utilize your pixels in your limited "char" space.

Can't wait to see his part 2 video

This post has been edited by T-Bone: 19 August 2015 - 03:25 AM

Youtube - teabone3 - Twitter - teabone3 - Twitch - teabone3

#5 User is offline   Graham 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 19 August 2015 - 03:26 AM

The video made me miss the numbers that were beside the character representation in char edit mode. Anyone else notice that they are conspicuously absent? When all else failed, if I needed to recreate a character I could use the numbers in the character edit command to re-draw a character. Can't do that as easily anymore.
Currently working on Servo for MegaZeux, I hope to complete it by the middle of 2015? Who knows...

"Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you’re a mile away and you have their shoes."
-Jack Handey

#6 User is offline   T-Bone 

• Wastelander
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 19 August 2015 - 04:01 AM

wow I actually remember that now
Youtube - teabone3 - Twitter - teabone3 - Twitch - teabone3

#7 User is offline   Dr Lancer-X 

• 電波、届いた?

Posted 19 August 2015 - 05:13 AM

View PostGraham, on 19 August 2015 - 01:26 PM, said:

The video made me miss the numbers that were beside the character representation in char edit mode. Anyone else notice that they are conspicuously absent? When all else failed, if I needed to recreate a character I could use the numbers in the character edit command to re-draw a character. Can't do that as easily anymore.

They disappeared when the multi-char editing functionality was introduced. I think because it's a feature that sees very little use, but you always pay for it as it takes up space and obscures the background. Also, manually-entered values into char edit isn't as necessary as it used to be with partial charsets and the ability to read data in from files and char edit to it.
Posted Image
<Malwyn> Yes, yes. Don't worry I'd rather masturbate with broken glass than ask you for help again. :(

#8 User is offline   Exophase 

• Laughing on the inside.

Posted 19 August 2015 - 09:20 PM

If you want to recreate character sets from a char edit command I recommend using the char set reading and file manipulation functions in a robot. It might be more work the first time but you'll be glad you did after that.
~ ex0 has a kickass battle engine, without it you sux0rz! without it you sux0rz! ~

"The fact that I say I've one of the best, is called honesty." -Akwende
"Megazeux is not ment to be just ASCII, it is ANSI!" - T-bone6
"I hate it when you get all exo on me." - emalkay

Exophase can what Rubi-cant.
exoware is ware ur ware is exoware
ps. not loking 4 new membrs kthx

#9 User is offline   Graham 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 20 August 2015 - 01:30 PM

View PostExophase, on 19 August 2015 - 01:20 PM, said:

If you want to recreate character sets from a char edit command I recommend using the char set reading and file manipulation functions in a robot. It might be more work the first time but you'll be glad you did after that.

Great idea. I've gotten a lot better about saving my work, but I'll definitely keep that one in mind.

-Jack Handey

#10 User is offline   CJA 

• «≡larch bucket≡»
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 25 September 2015 - 06:46 PM

Despite having beaten into my head how a console works, how code pages work and how MZX works, it was interesting to see the environment and the technological limitations that created those restrictions and protocols.
Need a dispenser here.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users