dMZX Forums: Game Deals Thread - dMZX Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Game Deals Thread wysiwyg

#1 User is offline   Terryn 

• Group: DigiStaff

Posted 07 March 2013 - 06:06 AM

Game deals are all over the flippin' place! Compared to the dark days of a decade ago, where people would often pay in excess of $10 for a game that wasn't even that recent, today's prices are an embarrassment of riches and it's kind of hard to keep track of them all. Countless game bundles, seasonal Steam sales (with minor sales always ongoing), Amazon sales, sales direct from the creators! Post deals you want people to know about in this thread.
angelic stream - shed sanguine - ill-adapt - avis - para/lyser - renaissance - dead tangent - phosphene blur - birth breeds death - ________ - painted glass - lagniappe

<Exophase> HES STEALING MAH AIRSHIP!!!!!!11111111

#2 User is offline   Terryn 

Posted 07 March 2013 - 06:12 AM

(I'll start. We all should know about Humble Bundles by now. Pay what you want for some games, over $1 for Steam keys for those games, Beat-The-Average (BTA) for more games. New games are typically added a week in for more BTA bonuses, but are given to everyone who purchased the bundle before that point, even those who didn't BTA earlier.)

Humble Indie Bundle with Android 5 (March 5-19)

• Games: Beat Hazard Ultra, Dynamite Jack, Solar 2, Nightsky HD
  • BTA games: Splice, Super Hexagon, Dungeon Defenders (and all of its DLC), Crayon Physics Deluxe, Superbrothers: Sword & Sorcery EP
  • Platforms: Windows/Mac/Linux/Android (with Steam keys for purchases over $1)
  • Soundtracks for all games except Dynamite Jack in MP3/FLAC format

angelic stream - shed sanguine - ill-adapt - avis - para/lyser - renaissance - dead tangent - phosphene blur - birth breeds death - ________ - painted glass - lagniappe

#3 User is offline   Terryn 

Posted 09 March 2013 - 11:16 PM

(Indie Royale bundles are irregular in length, but rarely go more than a day without a bundle active. Minimum purchase price (usually beginning at $4) goes up when someone pays the minimum and goes down when someone pays a fair amount above minimum. A (usually chiptune) album is included for purchases of $8 and up. As IR's a Desura-run venture, nearly every game in an IR bundle will have a Desura key attached.)

Indie Royale - The Debut Bundle (March 9-14)

• Games: Cognition: An Erica Reed Thriller (Episode 1), McDROID, Master of Alchemy - Rise of the Mechanologists, CloudPhobia, Wimp: Who Stole My Pants?, 6180 the moon, Gunman Clive, Isaac the Adventurer
  • Platforms: Various (Windows, Mac (Cognition/McDroid/Master of Alchemy/Wimp only), Linux (McDROID only)), with Desura keys
  • Bonuses: Soundtracks included for McDROID, Wimp, and 6180 the moon; Prequel comic included for Cognition

#4 User is offline   Terryn 

Posted 09 March 2013 - 11:25 PM

IndieGameStand

IndieGameStand features only one game at a time, but it puts out a new game sale every four days like clockwork and the BTA is usually very low (around $1.50-$3 at highest). Game platforms tend to vary, but Steam/Desura keys are provided when available and if you pay over $1. BTA bonuses vary, but usually include a soundtrack at minimum. Sometimes, entire other games are even included. One can also bundle the current game deal with the last deal and the next (unknown) deal for $10.

The current game deal is Doom and Destiny (Windows + Desura keys) and expires the 13th.

#5 User is offline   Terryn 

Posted 13 March 2013 - 12:55 PM

(Groupees is sort of unusual in that it often bundles music as well. Most bundles are pay-what-you-want, but tier off bundle contents by minimum pay point (e.g. some games for $1, the $1 games plus more games for $5). Frequent bonuses are added to bundles, with their release schedule based on the bundle's sales.)

Groupees: Wadjet Eye Groupee (March 13-17)

• Games: Puzzle Bots and Gemini Rue in the $1+ tier; The Blackwell series (Legacy, Unbound, Convergence, and Deception) and Resonance also included in the $5+ tier.
  • Platforms: Windows, with Steam keys included.
  • Bonuses: Blackwell OSTs; The Shivah; Da New Guys (both games are for Windows, with included Desura keys).

This is part of Groupees's series of short, publisher-based bundles (in this case, Wadjet Eye). If you like pointing and clicking, welp

#6 User is offline   Terryn 

Posted 15 March 2013 - 11:09 PM

Indie Royale - The Thoughtful Bundle (March 15-24)

• Games: Snapshot, Cognition: An Erica Reed Thriller (Episode 2), Aaaaa! -- A Reckless Disregard for Gravity, Fieldrunners, Snuggle Truck
  • Platforms: Various (Windows, Mac (all but Aaaaa!), Linux (Snapshot and Fieldrunners)), with Desura keys and Steam keys (excepting Cognition)
  • Bonuses: Soundtracks included for Fieldrunner and Cognition, Toy Cars for Windows w/Desura key.

#7 User is offline   Terryn 

Posted 19 March 2013 - 10:18 PM

(Bundle in a Box is a rarely-occurring bundle that uses a portion of its sales to provide alpha funding to a specific game (determined by votes from bundle purchasers). BiaB bundles are typically low-key offerings, lasting two weeks.)

Bundle in a Box - The Cerebral Bundle (March 19 - April 2)

• Games: Vampires!, Dinner Date, Phantasmaburbia, Necrotic Drift Deluxe, Dédale De Luxe.
  • BTA Games: J.U.L.I.A., I Get This Call Every Day, Cognition Ep.1, Reversion - The Meeting.
  • Platforms: Windows & Various (Mac: Vampires!, Necrotic Drift Deluxe, Dédale De Luxe, I Get This Call Every Day, Cognition: Ep.1; Linux: Necrotic Drift Deluxe, Dédale De Luxe) with Steam/Desura keys where applicable.
  • Bonuses: Unlock-based, forthcoming.

#8 User is offline   Terryn 

Posted 19 March 2013 - 10:26 PM

The Humble Weekly Sale

The Humble Bundle just launched a new feature: weekly sales of indie games, similar to IndieGameStand, that fit the Humble standard (i.e. cross-platform on Windows/Mac/Linux).

The current game is Bastion. $1+ for game and Steam key, BTA for bonus goodies (soundtrack, art, sheet music, ringtones), $25+ for physical bonus material (OST on CD, bandana, postcards; shipping costs included).

#9 User is offline   Terryn 

Posted 21 March 2013 - 12:52 AM

(Indie Gala: "ffffffffffffffffffffffffffff")

The Indie Gala Dwarves (March 20 - April 4)

• Games: Nosferatu - The Wrath of Malachi, Street Racing Syndicate, Gettysburg: Armored Warfare, F-777 - Deadlocked (music album).
  • BTA Games: Guilty Gear Isuka, Gun Metal, A Game of Dwarves, Europa Universalis III Complete, Europa Universalis III: Heir to the Throne, Europa Universalis III: Divine Wind, Warlock - Master of the Arcane.
  • Platforms: Windows. Only Nosferatu is a direct download. Gettysburg, A Game of Dwarves, the Europa Universalis III packs and Warlock are Steam keys only; the remainder are GamersGate keys only.
  • Bonuses: Time-based, revealed in "second week".

#10 User is offline   Terryn 

Posted 21 March 2013 - 08:46 AM

Groupees - Build a Bundle 5 (March 21-27)

Groupees Build a Bundle 5 allows you to pick from as few as two of the nine games offered. The minimum price is $1.50 for two games and scales down per game as more are bundled.

• Games: Storm in a Teacup, Manhunter, Marvin's Mittens, Dawnstar, Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee + Exodus, Nethergate:Resurrection, Spellforce - Platinum Edition, Lume, Dawning.
  • Platforms: Various (Windows, Mac (Storm in a Teacup, Dawnstar, Nethergate, Lume, Dawning), Linux (Lume, Dawning)) with Steam keys for Storm in a Teacup, the Oddworld games, Nethergate, Spellforce and Lume and Desura keys for the rest. Spellforce is Steam-only.
  • Bonuses: Millennium 2: Take me Higher (Windows), Tobe's Vertical Adventure (Windows + Steam key) + OST, assorted music samplers + videos (Ancient Astronauts Collection, Kabanjak Collection, 2 from 'Originator', Rumble Video, Amethystium Collection). Geneforge Saga is the next bonus.

#11 User is offline   GetDizzy 

• Touch Fuzzy.

Posted 23 March 2013 - 08:49 AM

I'd just like to endorse the Groupees Build a Bundle 5. I took some chances building mine, mostly going with things I hadn't heard of, and came out with some real winners.

Marvin's Mittens is really engrossing and charming and really gives me a feeling of... Being a kid and playing in the snow again. And it's also just plain beautiful. The art is amazing. Haven't beaten this one yet mostly because I'm being a completionist and trying to get every snowflake I can.

Lume is very short but very engrossing, with some really neat puzzles and a great art style. Can't wait to see the much anticipated sequel, Lumino City.

Dawning is... Creepy. Really, really creepy. I haven't technically 'beaten' it yet, having gotten what I think is the worst ending, but still, its worth a try, and I like the art style which really makes me think it could have been done in SMZX Mode 3 (there's rarely more than 4 colors on screen at once, much less 4 colors per tile)

I also got Dawnstar but haven't had the chance to actually install it and check it out yet, but it looks great.

I didn't grab Oddworld because I'd beaten that a long time ago (Definitely worth getting if you haven't, though), Manhunter seemed kind of cookie cutter to me, and I didn't get and don't have any opinion on Spellforge, Nethergate, or Storm in a Teacup.

Also worth noting is that if you're not a fan of Steam or Desura, all of the Groupees games seem to allow a direct download. That was necessary for me for Marvin's Mittens because Desura wouldn't run in VirtualBox and Marvin's Mittens wouldn't run in WINE.
- Your Jumpy Neighborhood Admin

<@Tixus> Anyway, I set the year to 1988 for some reason.
<@Tixus> And set the microwave to run for a minute and 28 seconds.
<@Tixus> But it failed to send me back in time, and I was disappointed.
<Insidious> Tixus accidentally microwaved the 80s
<Insidious> that is my takeaway from this

#12 User is offline   Terryn 

Posted 23 March 2013 - 10:48 AM

The thing with Desura is that there's Desura the client and Desura the store/service, and unlike Steam, the latter doesn't necessarily require the former. You can log in via the website and download games under your account by going to the individual games pages and selecting "Purchased Downloads", and the client doesn't need to be running to play downloaded games. The client is mostly there for benefits like organization and easy handling of updates.

#13 User is offline   KKairos 

• not an actual chipmunk
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 23 March 2013 - 07:29 PM

STEAM INDIE SALE

http://indiegames.co...s_indie_sp.html

Of note:

* Terraria at $2.49
* Binding of Isaac at $1.24
* Super Hexagon at $1.01

Runtime: Through March 29th
darganflayer.net kaikairos.dev itch.io

#14 User is offline   Terryn 

Posted 24 March 2013 - 01:07 AM

<Terryn> I was going to post about the Steam Indie sale in that thread, but it's so poorly organized and frankly not all that good of a sale

I guess it's of note to point out some highlights, though, like KKairos has done! I'll post some others.

*Half Minute Hero: Super Mega Neo Climax Ultimate Boy (which is on sale for the same reason Ys games often are during Steam indie sales, I guess) at $3.39
*Trine 2 at $3.74 (Goblin Menace DLC at $2, both in the "Trine 2 Franchise Pack" for $4.99)
*Magical Drop V at $2.49
*Rock of Ages at $2.49
*Noitu Love 2: Devolution at $1.99
*Binding of Isaac: Wrath of the Lamb DLC at $0.74

#15 User is offline   GetDizzy 

• Touch Fuzzy.

Posted 25 March 2013 - 06:31 AM

Following up to my earlier post, I've now tried Dawnstar. Its quite impressive! It's a space dogfighter/trader somewhat along the lines of X3 or Freelancer etc, with major story bits done in a narrated comic book format. The story is quite cookie cutter really, basically you're a rookie pilot in need of a job and someone brings you into trying to bring down the space mafia. Graphics are great, though a bit aliased.

It seems to have some mild performance issues regardless of graphics setting though, as in it has the same stuttering points (taking too long to load a cutscene and thus cutting off someone's first line, stuff like that) whether I'm on Low or Maximum setting. Also, the somewhat unique graphical style (apparently inspired by Cowboy Bebop which I never watched) combined with the aforementioned lack of antialiasing can lead to it being hard to discern what you're looking at on the screen at times. There's also a considerable amount of handholding in the first few missions instead of allowing you to figure things out for yourself, which I find a bit annoying.

All in all, its neat! It seems really in depth for an indie game, I'm kind of surprised a small studio was able to create an experience this polished and coherent when it took Digital Anvil with Microsoft's help 4 years to create Freelancer and that was stripped down considerably from the original idea.
- Your Jumpy Neighborhood Admin

<@Tixus> Anyway, I set the year to 1988 for some reason.
<@Tixus> And set the microwave to run for a minute and 28 seconds.
<@Tixus> But it failed to send me back in time, and I was disappointed.
<Insidious> Tixus accidentally microwaved the 80s
<Insidious> that is my takeaway from this

#16 User is offline   Terryn 

Posted 26 March 2013 - 12:54 AM

The current IndieGameStand is an intriguing-looking exploration game called Luminesca. Windows, Mac, Linux with Desura key; BTA is soundtrack and prototypes.

Mind, though, that it's currently unfinished. Updates won't cost any extra, AFAIK, this is more of an "alpha funding"-type deal.

#17 User is offline   Terryn 

Posted 02 April 2013 - 05:55 PM

Groupees - Retro Groupee (April 3-9)

• Games: Forceline, Dead Pixels, Smooth Operators in the $1+ tier; 8-Bit Commando, Bleed, Anodyne in the $3+ tier.
  • Platforms: Various (Windows, Mac (Forceline, 8-Bit Commando & Anodyne), Linux (Forceline & Anodyne)) with added Steam keys for Dead Pixels/Anodyne and Desura keys for the rest.
  • Bonuses: Purchase number based; Sylia (Windows), Chipocrite - Hit and Run (MP3/FLAC), and Love+ (Windows + Desura key) unlocked, with Anodyne's OST the next unlock.

#18 User is offline   Terryn 

Posted 06 April 2013 - 11:13 AM

(indiebundle.org bundles several concurrent bundles for long periods of time - roughly six weeks - at $5 for 3 games, with an occasional $7 option for adding a fourth game to a specific bundle.)

indiebundle.org - The Alpha Fundle Bundle

• Games: Gravi, Super Tower Rush, Monsters!. $5 minimum.
  • Platforms: Various platforms (Windows, Mac (Gravi and Monsters!), Linux (Monsters!)) with Desura keys. Super Tower Rush is key-only.
  • Bonuses: Samphi and Twisty's Asylum Escapades are being promoted in this bundle; purchase not required to try these.

#19 User is offline   Terryn 

Posted 11 April 2013 - 03:18 PM

Indie Royale - The Spring Sun Bundle (April 11-17)

• Games: Knytt Underground, The Real Texas, Monday Night Combat, Satazius, Gentrieve 2, I am weapon.
  • Platforms: Various (Windows, Mac (Knytt Underground, The Real Texas, Gentrieve 2), Linux (The Real Texas, Gentrieve 2)) with Desura keys for all but MNC and Steam keys for Satazius/MNC. MNC is key only.
  • Bonuses: Soundtracks included for The Real Texas and Gentrieve 2.

#20 User is offline   Terryn 

Posted 17 April 2013 - 04:51 PM

Indie Gala is apparently doing a weekly sale just as Humble Bundle paused its weekly sales (and even copied Humble's layout outright, ffff). Beat Hazard, Soulcaster I, and Soulcaster II are the offerings, with the Beat Hazard DLC and Escape Goat as BTA.

#21 User is offline   Terryn 

Posted 19 April 2013 - 07:35 PM

The Indie Gala Mass Effect (April 18-29)

• Games: Rebuild, Kill Fun Yeah, Shadowgrounds, Zombie Driver HD.
  • BTA Games: Gimbal, Shank 2, Mass Effect 2, Zombie Driver DLC + OST.
  • Platforms: Windows for all but Rebuild (which is Android). Mass Effect 2 is Origin key, Gimbal and Kill Fun Yeah are Desura keys, rest are Steam keys. (Unsure which are direct download, as I haven't bought the bundle and IG doesn't directly list, but assuming at least the non BTAs all are and that ME2 isn't.)
  • Bonuses: Time-based, revealed in "second week".

#22 User is offline   Terryn 

Posted 19 April 2013 - 07:44 PM

Indie Royale - The Debut 2 Bundle (April 19-25)

• Games: Croixleur, Beast Boxing Turbo, Dawnstar, Battlepaths, Out There Somewhere, Diehard Dungeon, Spin Wars.
  • Platforms: Various (Windows, Mac (Beast Boxing Turbo, Dawnstar, Spin Wars)) with Desura keys.
  • Bonuses: Soundtrack included for Out There Somewhere, track selections from Beast Boxing Turbo and Battlepaths, Beast Boxing Turbo artwork.

#23 User is offline   Terryn 

Posted 21 April 2013 - 07:06 PM

Groupees - Build a Greenlight Bundle 2 (April 22-28)

Groupees Build a Greenlight Bundle 2 allows you to pick from as few as two of the nine games offered. The minimum price is $1.50 for two games and scales down per game as more are bundled.

• Games: Crow, Darkout, Death Ray Manta, Enamel, Ichi, Grimind, Little Racer Street, Gravi, Draconian Wars.
  • Platforms: Various (Windows, Mac (Grimind, Ichi, Gravi, Crow, Death Ray Manta), Linux (Grimind, Ichi, Gravi)) with Desura keys for all games except Enamel, Crow, and Death Ray Manta.
  • Bonuses: Reversion - The Meeting (Windows, Desura), Diamonds Under Fire - ST (MP3, FLAC). More forthcoming.

#24 User is offline   Terryn 

Posted 03 April 2015 - 07:47 AM

I decided to necro this thread instead of starting a new one to show the big updates in sites, because I was bored and suffering from insomnia. Oh Well.

Humble Bundle

Still here, of course, and still has the most consistently good game offerings. Still pay-what-you-want for lowest tier, $1 min for Steam keys. Has grown in scope: main bundles are every two weeks, (almost always) launched on 2PM EST/EDT Tuesdays, and Beat-The-Average (BTA) is now required to get the added games even before the second week unlock point. Now includes a third tier for a fixed higher cost in most of its bundles, such as $8 or $12.

Humble launches other specific bundle types on a regular basis as well. Weekly bundles are every Thursday and usually are games (and of this writing, has a fantastic $1 tier, especially for Cook, Serve, Delicious!); book-oriented bundles are on Wednesdays and last two weeks; mobile bundles are fairly frequent, but on less of a strict schedule than the other types. They have a storefront now, which tends to have decent sales from time to time.

Groupees

Still around, still frequently releasing bundles, still a mix of Steam/Desura/DLs. Reiterating what I said earlier, Groupees is sort of unusual in that it often bundles music as well (and now comics). Most bundles are pay-what-you-want, but tier off bundle contents by minimum pay point (e.g. some games for $1, the $1 games plus more games for $5). Frequent bonuses are added to bundles, with their release schedule based on the bundle's sales. They have two main bundle lines: Build a Greenlight Bundle, where you select what games you want to get out of games currently not on Steam, and Be Mine, which is the "big-name" tiered bundle of games they release on a regular basis. Other types of bundles are still frequent, and they've absorbed Bundle in a Box.

They have a "pre-order" for most of their bundles now, where for 24 hours you can pay less money to buy the whole bundle before it comes out, on the condition that you don't know what's going to be in it.

Indie Gala

Markedly less terrible. Whenever they launch a bundle, they reduce the price of it by $1 or so for the first 24 hours. Bundle schedule is sort of random, but they release a bundle every Monday for really cheap (sub-$2) and, while game quality varies, occasionally has some bundle coups like the recent bundle that had both Freedom Planet AND Crimzon Clover in it for $1.89 (along with several other things, of course!). Just avoid their sub-par store. Steam key only now, for the most part.

IndieGameStand

What's changed with these guys? Not a lot, regarding the regular deals, though they've added a storefront on top of this now. Deals still act like they did before, but they now have a subscription service called IGS Elite, where you pay a monthly fee to get all of the deals for that month (presumably with bonuses) and a 20% store discount.

IndieGameStand features only one game at a time, but it puts out a new game sale every four days like clockwork and the BTA is usually very low (around $1.50-$3 at highest). Game platforms tend to vary, but Steam/Desura keys are provided when available and if you pay over $1. BTA bonuses vary, but usually include a soundtrack at minimum. Sometimes, entire other games are even included. One can also bundle the current game deal with the last deal and the next (unknown) deal for $6.

Bundle Stars

Oh, hey, a new mention. These guys churn out some solid bundles nowadays, typically ranging from $2-$5 and lasting for two weeks. Steam keys only, though.

Indie Royale Dead.

They've taken a considerable nosedive in quality since this thread started. At least their prices have gone down to match ($2-ish), and while the prices sometimes jump, they often stay fixed for whatever reason. They generally have three lines of bundles now: Debut Bundles, which are exclusively games that aren't currently on Steam; Mixer Bundles, larger bundles mostly full of games that have been bundled before; and finally, the odd other bundle. Still ran by Desura, so you still get Desura keys with everything, albeit no guarantee that the game won't simply require Steam.

Bundle in a Box

As said before, Groupees absorbed them. Any bundle deals by them are now Groupees bundles. Old BiaB purchase info hasn't been transferred over, though.

indiebundle.org
Dead.

Some other mentions of possible note:
Lazy Guys - Haven't used them, but their bundles seem fairly good.
Flying Bundle - Infrequent and with medicore offerings on average, but sometimes worth checking.
Blink Bundle - Dead.
DailyIndieGame - Iffy game selection, but about as cheap as you can get.

#25 User is offline   KKairos 

• not an actual chipmunk
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 03 April 2015 - 02:58 PM

Depending on the type of game you like, GOG.com in general is good to watch; arguably better than Steam depending on when you catch them.
darganflayer.net kaikairos.dev itch.io

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users