dMZX Forums: MZX Help File Issues - Jan 25 2024 - dMZX Forums

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

MZX Help File Issues - Jan 25 2024 From typo to missing to just plain wrong.

#31 User is offline   Terryn 

• Group: DigiStaff

Posted 09 December 2007 - 05:03 PM

(Dec 09 2007) CHANGED SINCE G HELPFILE:

-Put documentation of screencapture ability (F12) in all needed places it was previously not mentioned.
-Documented the ability to use octal numbers, and the ability to use 32-bit hexadecimal numbers directly. (Thanks, Lancer)
-More color added again - this time, blue colors for subject headers. Other areas became more "standardized" in color usage.
-Added mention of building with MikMod and its differences with ModPlug.
-MZX is formally updated via SVN now, unlike Exo's preferred method of intermediate pre-compiled binaries. Updated bug report question to fit.
-Changed remaining instances of "$stringX" to just "$string" since string names became more controllable in the port.
-Explained bad command execution differences between ZZT and MZX (since some ZZT games rely on trying to execute bad commands for comedic value).
-Removed mention of ABC/PAT formats for now. Support's been removed because of the way ModPlug daisy-chains loaders until it finds one that fits, and the ABC format loader crashed MZX in some cases.
angelic stream - shed sanguine - ill-adapt - avis - para/lyser - renaissance - dead tangent - phosphene blur - birth breeds death - ________ - painted glass - lagniappe

<Exophase> HES STEALING MAH AIRSHIP!!!!!!11111111

#32 User is offline   Terryn 

Posted 11 June 2008 - 01:39 AM

(Jun 10 2008) CHANGED SINCE 2.81H HELPFILE:

-SET "FREAD" "counter" is WRONG; corrected to its proper SET "counter" "FREAD" form.
-Made the string splicing section show actual strings (they were missing their $ symbols.... ugh)
-One addition accidentally killed most of the ZZTers Guide to MegaZeux section, fixed.
-Cleaned up MZX errors section massively after actually seeing which error messages were present in MZX's current code.
-Documented the new feature changes to 2.82.
-Documented MOD "*" in the Command Reference (its hotkey setting was already documented).
-Noted how swapping worlds triggered justentered/justloaded.
-Limitations on character length for relevant things (strings, editor lines, etc.) detailed in Quantity Limitations subsection.
-Labelled board counters as such.
-After seeing Xenogenesis screw up default loops, I elaborated on the need to make the number in loop # one smaller than the number of times you need to actually loop.
-Removed another pesky reference to a nonexistent LOAD_WORLD counter. That's the last of them.
-Noted that lockplayer et al doesn't stop similar actions from happening via Robotic.
-Replaced .SAM in all relevant examples with .WAV. DON'T USE SAMS UNLESS YOU REALLY NEED TO%&%(
-More elaboration on MZX_SPEED actions.
-Put in explicit values for things like terminators for instances where the char set /palette widely deviate from the default.
-Stopped keyN from being marked as deprecated, since it really has a unique use and therefore isn't. (It was erroneously lumped there before because of key_code preceding it, and key_code was considered deprecated.)
-Noted change in how MZX treats module formats which don't overlap in both module engines now.
-Added more differences between ZZT/MZX objects.
-Noted that Sensors can't send to constructs like "&fest&ive", unlike Robots.
-Two labels were accidentally jumps in the Using the Editor section, fixed.
-Clear Messages and Projectiles clears all projectile types, not just bullets and shooting fire. Fixed.
-Fixed link to DEC "$string" #, Mark Line and Delete Previous Word.
-Scroll character in Mirth of Built-ins fixed.
-Removed leftover mention of using ALT+P to print help topics (Yes, Virginia, you could do that before the port)
-Mentioned the Freesound Project in FAQ section.
-Noted Ctrl+C in the comment command definition.
-Noted 14-char Robot name limit in rename command definition.
-Corrected name of Normal overlay mode (previously called "On").
-Replaced CheeseTracker mention with Schism Tracker / MilkyTracker, snce the latter two are actually updated (and FOSS, if you care).
-Mentioned ability of Robots to dynamically alter board exits in relevant FAQ question.
-Cleaned up whitespace in colors subsection of the strings section.
-Noted disassemble_extras settings on extra words.
-Antiquated mention of EGA mode removed in palette editor section.
-Other small changes done and bits of folderol removed.

(Jun 13 2008) REFRESH VERSION CHANGES:

-Link to 2.81 changelogs from the newest changelog section was broken, fixed.
-Messed up link to mod * command in command list. Fixed.

(Jun 18 2008) REFRESH VERSION CHANGES:

-Restored around 6K of text in the Command Reference section, thanks to help file parsing wiping it out. Apologies.
-Fixed link to 2.81 changelogs.
-Detailed different action of $str#N when using in sets/writes.
angelic stream - shed sanguine - ill-adapt - avis - para/lyser - renaissance - dead tangent - phosphene blur - birth breeds death - ________ - painted glass - lagniappe

#33 User is offline   Terryn 

Posted 28 December 2008 - 03:00 AM

(Dec 27 2008) CHANGED SINCE 2.82 HELPFILE:

-KEY counter documented.
-Cleaned up internally. Makes no difference to the end user, but enables clean parsing through the new hlp2txt tool. (ajs)
-Added FAQ question about what tools are available to suppliment MZX.
-Formally documented the double-speed Robot movement quirk.
-WAIT 1 practices changed to CYCLE 1, due to the latter's strength in dealing with subroutines.
-FAQ question about bug reporting now points to the tracker as opposed to the antiquated thread.
-Fixed long-standing typo; default commands per cycle is 40, not 30.
-Marked SCROLLEDX and SCROLLEDY counters as read-only.
-Fixed link to "Overlay mode is not on" subsection. (ajs)
-Re-ordered FAQ questions. Entries best accomodating long-time MZXers are moved near the bottom.
-Noted which Robot gets the response of RID<name> when multiple Robots share <name>.
-Noted that non-zero values for defaults toggles constitute keeping the default on (as opposed to just 1).
-Grammar cleanup.

#34 User is offline   allison 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 06 November 2009 - 03:12 PM

Everything's fixed. Good work Terryn! Posted Image

EDIT:And good work those who pointed out those bugs!

This post has been edited by crazyal02: 06 November 2009 - 03:14 PM

#35 User is offline   zzo38 

• Registered members
  • PipPipPip

Posted 06 November 2009 - 05:48 PM

There are many other differences between ZZT/MZX too, but you probably don't need to mention all of them, but I have listed some anyways:
  • In ZZT, some objects can be crushed (basically, everything that could be destroyed by player bullets but not by object bullets, can be crushed). This function is not available in mainstream MegaZeux.
  • In ZZT, there is only two kind of bullets, player bullets and object bullets. MegaZeux has player bullets, neutral bullets, and enemy bullets. (Player bullets in ZZT act like neutral in MZX, object bullets in ZZT act like enemy bullets in MZX)
  • Ricochets in ZZT will not change the type of bullet, but in MZX it will change to neutral.
  • In ZZT, conveyors will not move sliders in the wrong direction, but in MZX it will.
  • The #PUT command in ZZT will push something out of the way first, in MZX it won't, so you have to use the PUSH command first before PUT if you want this.
  • The help file says `comment but it should be 'comment because it uses a normal apostophe not a backtick in ZZT, for comments.

In Capitalist America, law violates YOU!

"Potion of Confusing": Solve all the puzzles, hold second one as you hold a pencil, and save gibbering mouthers from the king's army.

#36 User is offline   Terryn 

Posted 21 March 2010 - 05:27 PM

(Dec 30 2009) CHANGED SINCE 2.82B HELPFILE:

-Forgot to mention the LOAD_MENU changes due to new Robotic access when it was introduced. Fixed now.
-Fixed a help file bug present since at least 2.02 where COPY ROBOT is erroneously stated to start the copy anew. (durp durp, Terryn)
-Described the terminator character and which fwrite functions leave one.
-Mod_order is read and write, fixed.
-Corrected a dumb and totally misleading mistake in the bitwise negation example.
-Noted MZX's new ability to acknowledge loop markers in WAVs and OGGs.
-Related to the other copy issue, no longer noted COPY # # # # as applies to Robots as a bad practice. Its differing behavior at copy has its merits.
-Noted FWRITE_POS uselessness in FWRITE_APPEND mode.
-Links to Potion and Ring Effects sub-area fixed.
-Corrected one last 1.XX potion name shift (Dud --> No Effect).

#37 User is online   Lachesis 

• the pinnacle of human emotion

Posted 24 June 2010 - 02:03 AM

Help file entry for BUTTONS counter fails to mention that it can also detect the middle mouse button.
"Let's just say I'm a GOOD hacker, AND virus maker. I'm sure you wouldn't like to pay for another PC would you?"

xx̊y (OST) - HELLQUEST (OST) - Zeux I: Labyrinth of Zeux (OST) (DOS OST)
w/ Lancer-X and/or asgromo: Pandora's Gate - Thanatos Insignia - no True(n) - For Elise OST
MegaZeux: Online Help File - Keycode Guide - Joystick Guide - Official GIT Repository

#38 User is online   Lachesis 

Posted 20 November 2010 - 02:33 AM

BOARD_ID's entry in the counter list links to the Change Char ID table, which is useless because it's missing all of the useful stuff like Customblock and Customfloor. Can you put EVERYTHING in the list, so it's conveniently in the help file, and just mark the stuff you're not supposed to change in a different color like red?
"Let's just say I'm a GOOD hacker, AND virus maker. I'm sure you wouldn't like to pay for another PC would you?"

w/ Lancer-X and/or asgromo: Pandora's Gate - Thanatos Insignia - no True(n) - For Elise OST
MegaZeux: Online Help File - Keycode Guide - Joystick Guide - Official GIT Repository

#39 User is offline   asgromo 

• steiner, porsches
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 22 November 2010 - 03:01 PM

1- State the target Robot's name. Use "ALL" to message all Robots, excluding the Robot that does the SEND "All" command.

send "all" is in fact inclusive as of MegaZeux 2.83
: "l"
go EAST for 1
send "all" to "l"

Was this always the case? If not, did it break everything?

#40 User is offline   Terryn 

Posted 22 November 2010 - 03:48 PM

No, I was wrong. It's always been inclusive, EXCEPT if you lockself the Robot. There were issues with send all at the time I wrote that, but I mis-diagnosed them and never corrected the help file when we found out the true problem. Fixed! my bad!

#41 User is offline   CJA 

• «≡larch bucket≡»
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 22 November 2010 - 05:28 PM

you can use send "others" "label", IIRC
Need a dispenser here.

#42 User is offline   Dr Lancer-X 

• 電波、届いた?

Posted 22 November 2010 - 09:21 PM

CJA, on 23 November 2010 - 03:28 AM, said:

you can use send "others" "label", IIRC

No you can't
Posted Image
<Malwyn> Yes, yes. Don't worry I'd rather masturbate with broken glass than ask you for help again. :(

#43 User is online   Lachesis 

Posted 24 November 2010 - 02:17 AM

Editing Keys and Options Reference -> First paragraph refers to "Robot" editor rather than Board editor
Robotic Reference Manual -> Command Reference -> IF "counter" !<>_= # "label" (extra underscore? I think)
Robotic Reference Manual -> Using the Editor -> F12 - Take Screendump (seriously? o_o)
Robotic Reference Manual -> Using the Editor -> Ctrl+BackSpace - Delete Previous Word (weird formatting)
Robotic Reference Manual -> Using the Editor -> Doesn't mention Alt+BackSpace
Robotic Reference Manual -> Counters -> SPR_NUM -> "used to match the highest sprite to that's checked." (grammar; remove the last 'to')

#44 User is offline   Exophase 

• Laughing on the inside.

Posted 24 November 2010 - 05:48 AM

I appreciate that you noticed those editing shortcuts in the robot editor.. I didn't think anyone used them.
~ ex0 has a kickass battle engine, without it you sux0rz! without it you sux0rz! ~

"The fact that I say I've one of the best, is called honesty." -Akwende
"Megazeux is not ment to be just ASCII, it is ANSI!" - T-bone6
"I hate it when you get all exo on me." - emalkay

Exophase can what Rubi-cant.
exoware is ware ur ware is exoware
ps. not loking 4 new membrs kthx

#45 User is online   Lachesis 

Posted 24 November 2010 - 09:18 PM

Exophase, on 23 November 2010 - 10:48 PM, said:

I appreciate that you noticed those editing shortcuts in the robot editor.. I didn't think anyone used them.

I either stumbled on ALT+Backspace by mistake or hit random key combinations until I found it. I find it a lot more pleasing than manually backspacing a whole 241 char line or fumbling around with block actions. If there are any other undocumented shortcuts, those should uh, probably be documented too :confused:

#46 User is offline   Terryn 

Posted 24 November 2010 - 10:26 PM

Alt+Backspace was documented in the help file already, just not there. Alt+Backspace, Ctrl+LeftArrow, and Ctrl+RightArrow are documented under the simple Controls section because they apply to more than just the Robot Editor, but aren't placed in the Editor key bindings list. Of course, this is an oversight. I'll add the Ctrl+Arrows as well, and Escape while I'm at it, just to be consistent/thorough.

#47 User is online   Lachesis 

Posted 28 September 2011 - 07:01 AM

Old help file versions (like, 1.02 old) would denote cycle-ending commands and rel-affected commands in the commands listing. Could 1.02's commands notation for that sort of stuff come back? I found it kinda useful... (well, the latter not quite as much)

edit: for reference, it'd use * for rel-affected commands and ! for cycle-ending commands, and also note which ones needed rel first/last. There are obviously quite a few more commands that use these things now, though

This post has been edited by Lachesis: 28 September 2011 - 07:04 AM

#48 User is offline   ajs 

• carpe diem
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 28 September 2011 - 07:46 PM

FWIW there's this which gets you half of what you want, but it's only available in the MZX source and not in the help file.

--ajs.

#49 User is online   Lachesis 

Posted 28 September 2011 - 11:59 PM

Yep, a few of us know about it, but the average end user won't. It's nice to document all of this stuff in the help file... on topic, would it be worth it to create an MZX subtracker for the Help File?

#50 User is offline   Terryn 

Posted 29 September 2011 - 12:40 AM

I don't think so. Most of the issues/reports about the help file have fallen under three categories:
  • Overruns of the 64-char display limit on a line, therefore messing up the message window in some section.
  • Issues I find and correct myself, or correct pretty much immediately after I'm told about them on IRC.
  • zzo.

The issues pointed out by board-only members are so scarce that it's not really worth it, and I make a point to note what I've changed in the top post in this thread whenever I've just changed anything.

#51 User is offline   ThDPro 

• Brontosaurus-Sea-slug; Gooey and phallic
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 12 November 2011 - 12:50 AM

I might be a fool, but I think it's worth noting that binary expressions are hardly explained in the help file, as well as the lack of anything about sub-folder reference. Like I said, I might be a fool and this issue might have already been addressed, but these are just a couple things I had to learn from Lancer on IRC and looking at the code in CoAZ. I wouldn't know about them otherwise, and that's kinda what the help file is for.
original soundtracks
Better Than Nothing - DOMINATION - Commander Keen: Heroes Lost - Welkin - A Confectioner's Recipe - random ThDPro music stuff
<Risu21121> if you're not going to make a good game, you might as well make a blatantly racist one.
<Kuddy> Testicles.
"Where are my folder?" - KKairos

#52 User is offline   Terryn 

Posted 12 November 2011 - 12:54 PM

Whenever I make a noteworthy change to the help file, I note it in the thread's first post and change the thread's date to match. The boosting of the binary section is something I already addressed; the sub-folder issue, on the other hand, could probably stand a good look.

#53 User is offline   T-Bone 

• Wastelander
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 25 January 2012 - 06:11 AM

If you go to the Built-In objects section of the help file then scroll down to potion and ring effects the header should be using "&" not "$" so it is centered like the rest of the headers in the section.

Also, the icon for life is incorrect. That's the icon for a ring.

This post has been edited by T-Bone: 25 January 2012 - 06:12 AM

Youtube - teabone3 - Twitter - teabone3 - Twitch - teabone3

#54 User is offline   Terryn 

Posted 03 June 2012 - 05:12 PM

(May 29 2012) CHANGED SINCE 2.83 HELPFILE:

-Corrected inaccurate description of send all behavior done in the aftermath of send all behavior's 2.81e alteration and subsequent reversion.
-Made CHAR ID table more thorough, and added notes on its use, most notably emphasis on the distinction between changing between IDs and changing the values of given IDs.
-Binary operators described in detail, and given example outcomes. All other operators were given the same treatment, but it probably mattered the most for those (and for modulo, I guess).
-Added Alt+BackSpace, Ctrl+Arrows and Escape listings in Editor Keys section.
-SMZX mode 2 description had colors 2 and 3 reversed. Fixed.
-BUTTONS detects middle button presses; corrected counter description to mention this.
-Divider counter given a coherent description.
-Added FAQ question about using others' materials in your own MZX game (and an all-caps Giel Corollary)
-Inserted mention of loading files in subdirectories in the description of all applicable commands, and in the very beginning of the File Access section.
-Described the different action of the UI palette and how to edit it through Robotic.
-Out of bounds string checks are now correctly stated to yield 0, not 32.
-Gave more useful special characters in the KEY? label description (ones that actually work).
-"#" expressions operator documented.
-Removed notices about certain Robotic commands slowing code. Technically speaking, they still can when overused more than other commands, but this is far less of an issue than in the distant past, and I'm sick and tired of getting asked about it.
-Dynamic labels don't work (2.80 removed the ability)! Finally mentioned this.
-Noted that inverse trig functions output degrees, and that atan will take signs into account and place results in the correct quadrant.
-Mentioned pressing tab to escape check box fields.
-Documented default vlayer_width and vlayer_height values.
-Noted that ricochet items force returned bullets to be neutral under its description. It was mentioned elsewhere, but not in the actual items' descriptions.
-Explicitly mentioned that doors need free space to open, and can push objects in their paths.
-Mentioned that full health/lives values still allow collection of health/lives.
-Noted "thud" and "edge"'s ignorance of lockself.
-Beefed up and corrected parts of the ZZT section, within reason. No, zzo, I'm not going to make that section bigger than all of the other sections combined. Look up "diminishing returns" sometime.
-Minor graphical issues in built-ins section corrected.
-Various minor fixes.
-Modernity updates.
-Minor form/style changes (SCREENDUMP!!!!! !!!!! SCREENDUMP!!!!!!!!!! HOPE SOMEONE'S HAPPY).

#55 User is offline   Dr Lancer-X 

• 電波、届いた?

Posted 04 June 2012 - 03:41 AM

Great that the # operator is in the help file now, but it should probably be prefaced with a disclaimer like DON'T USE THIS, IT WILL BREAK IN DEBYTECODE IF THAT EVER COMES OUT, JUST DON'T USE IT OKAY

It works but if you care about your code not breaking in the future seriously don't use it at all. It makes things like compiling expressions unfeasible.
Posted Image
<Malwyn> Yes, yes. Don't worry I'd rather masturbate with broken glass than ask you for help again. :(

#56 User is online   Lachesis 

Posted 04 June 2012 - 03:50 AM

Yeah, I think I'll even go as far as to kill support for the # operator in 2.85 and onward. Why does it even exist?

#57 User is offline   Terryn 

Posted 04 June 2012 - 04:41 AM

Noted. I'll mark it as destined for the trash bin in b's help file. It's not the first time we've outright tossed a part of Robotic, by far. (Robot targeting, r_playerdist, *_PAGE, etc etc).

#58 User is offline   Terryn 

Posted 22 June 2012 - 12:40 AM

(Jun 17 2012) CHANGED SINCE 2.84 HELPFILE:

-Documented arithmetic/signed shift right operator (>>>).
-Duplicated description of control characters (it's also now at the beginning of the strings section).
-Wrote the # operator off as soon-to-be-removed, with appropriate warnings.
-Documented REL COUNTER's unintuitive effects on the COPY family of commands.
-Oversimplified description of the ^ operator such that it was pretty incorrect, fixed.
-Added YES and NO labels to the built-in labels section. (No subroutine versions of these.)
-Noted the modulo command's actions on negatives, and the differences between the modulo command and the modulo expression function.
-Tightened up the subroutine code example.
-Fixed typo in a modulo code example.

#59 User is online   Lachesis 

Posted 01 December 2012 - 09:23 PM

Requesting that it be documented in the help file that Rn.counter returns -1 if there isn't a robot with the ID 'n'. This is implicit among robot and board access counters but it should probably be explicitly noted where needed.

#60 User is offline   Terryn 

Posted 25 December 2012 - 01:22 AM

(Dec 23 2012) CHANGED SINCE 2.84B HELPFILE:

-Fixed copyrobot description, hopefully for good. Last time I screwed up and changed a mostly-right description into a mostly-wrong one. "(durp durp, Terryn)"
-Missing was an elaboration on what "background" means in the context of Sprites (it means CustomBlocks).
-Documented the N/E/F8/F9 changes on title screens.
-COPY (OVERLAY) BLOCK X Y W H "$string" T description corrected to omit false mention of termination on reaching items with p00.
-Mentioned the method to change SMZX modes in the editor (F11) at the very beginning of the SMZX section.
-Mentioned that Rn.<counter> calls to non-existent Robots return -1 in its section.
-Error section is up-to-date again, reflecting all of the changes brought on by much stronger file validation.
-Noted that ccheck mode 2 makes blank chars transparent.
-Fixed incorrect characters in built-in section.
-Added links to the TOC at the end of each version's changelog, not just at the end of each grouping.

Share this topic:

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

3 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users