dMZX Forums: Copy and paste function not working consistently -> Archived MegaZeux Bugs -> Tracker

Report ID 816 Title Copy and paste function not working consistently
Product Archived MegaZeux Bugs Status Fixed (Severity 2 - Fair)
Version 2.92f Fixed in 2.93
Introduced In Version 2.91Operating System MAC

Page 1 of 1
  • Cannot start a new Issue
  • Closed Issue This issue is locked

Report ID #816: Copy and paste function not working consistently

Padz 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 01 February 2021 - 01:21 PM

When using copy and paste within a robot nothing happens. It will paste something copied from an external text file however.

Seems to trigger when trying to copy something related to char changing or editing. Will then not work until MZX restarted.
He who has not faced death can never understand life

Page 1 of 1  

Replies (1 - 10)

#2 User is online  
Lachesis 

• the pinnacle of human emotion
  • Group: DigiStaff

Posted 01 February 2021 - 10:06 PM

Which Mac OS version are you using? Since IIRC there are two different Mac clipboard handlers that might help narrow things down. (Also, which MZX version are you using? I'm guessing it's not 2.93c because that version doesn't exist yet... :))
"Let's just say I'm a GOOD hacker, AND virus maker. I'm sure you wouldn't like to pay for another PC would you?"

xx̊y (OST) - HELLQUEST (OST) - Zeux I: Labyrinth of Zeux (OST) (DOS OST)
w/ Lancer-X and/or asgromo: Pandora's Gate - Thanatos Insignia - no True(n) - For Elise OST
MegaZeux: Online Help File - Keycode Guide - Joystick Guide - Official GIT Repository

Padz 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 04 February 2021 - 07:50 AM

MAC OS High Sierra 10.13 and MZX 2.92f, I got confused which version we are on!

I've had the issue a few more times, anything using a char from the F3 or F5 menu seems to be the culprit.

#4 User is online  
Lachesis 

Posted 05 February 2021 - 04:07 AM

Updating status to: Confirmed
Updating severity to: 2 - Fair
Updating version to: 2.92f

I asked asgromo and she said she has also encountered similar bugs to this. Since it's occurring in modern MZX versions, SDL2's built-in clipboard handling would likely be the source of the bug. I have a High Sierra machine so I'll get it hooked up and check things out when I can. (For whatever reason I can't edit the Operating System field to add new info... :erm:)

edit: also, the version thing is partially my fault, sorry. I preemptively add future MZX versions to that field since I used to have to edit the SQL directly for those. I've since fixed the web interface for that so I don't really have an excuse for having those future versions in there...
"Let's just say I'm a GOOD hacker, AND virus maker. I'm sure you wouldn't like to pay for another PC would you?"

w/ Lancer-X and/or asgromo: Pandora's Gate - Thanatos Insignia - no True(n) - For Elise OST
MegaZeux: Online Help File - Keycode Guide - Joystick Guide - Official GIT Repository

Padz 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 05 February 2021 - 08:49 PM

Cool thanks for your help, it's not the worst bug but it does slow things down with any sort of animation.

#6 User is online  
Lachesis 

Posted 18 February 2021 - 10:26 PM

Alright, after finally getting around to looking at this: any character >=128 causes this issue. The Mac clipboard might be assuming UTF-8 and then refusing to accept a string that is "invalid", because I can't paste the affected line of Robotic either in the robot editor or in TextEdit (suggesting it never makes it into the clipboard in the first place). The other bug here IMO is that MZX ought to fall back on its internal clipboard in cases like this, but it doesn't right now.

edit: this bug also occurs in Linux, though in this case the clipboard seems to be fine with taking "invalid" UTF-8 and it's only later checked in gedit.
edit 2: even in Mac OS, SDL_SetClipboardText returns 0 as if this worked... :|

#7 User is online  
Lachesis 

Posted 19 February 2021 - 12:28 AM

I submitted a bug report to SDL about SDL_SetClipboardText not returning an error but this will also need some fixing on my end.

#8 User is online  
Lachesis 

Posted 01 April 2021 - 10:41 AM

I have a work-in-progress patch to address this by adding a Mac OS specific clipboard handler to use instead of SDL2 for newer Macs. It works by treating MegaZeux text as using the Mac OS Roman encoding, which allows every codepoint to be cleanly converted to/from UTF-8 for the clipboard (and e.g. TextEdit can save "Mac OS Roman" files that can be imported into the robot editor).

Patch/pull request here.

#9 User is online  
Lachesis 

Posted 03 April 2021 - 12:53 AM

Updating status to: Fixed
Issue fixed in: GIT (debytecode)

Fixed in GIT 25f90e67. The changes to the Xcode project are still being reviewed by Spectere.

edit: I went ahead and fixed the issues I was encountering in the Xcode project myself (some of which were issues with my environment) in GIT 45046b74.

#10 User is online  
Lachesis 

Posted 09 April 2021 - 12:25 AM

Issue fixed in: 2.93
Updating Introduced In Version to: 2.91

Terryn 

Posted 01 January 2024 - 02:59 PM

Moving to: Archived MegaZeux Bugs

Page 1 of 1

0 User(s) are reading this issue
0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users