dMZX Forums: red - dMZX Forums

Message from the Management

When you finish a new game, demo, engine, or utility, the first thing to do is submit it to the archive for approval. (Log in first, then Upload a New Game from the sidebar.) Then feel free to post about it in this forum; in fact, please continue to do this. This is so people will actually know about your game and play it. As nice as it is to have archive uploads automated, it's not going to help much if no one knows you have a new game to play.

When uploading your games to the archive, please zip up your game using the .ZIP format, even if it is just a .MZX file. As for less popular formats (such as RAR and 7Z), games uploaded in these formats will be rejected. This is because as wonderful as those compression algorithms might be, ZIP is a near universal compression standard, and the only one that will work with the in-game archive browser planned for MZX.

You can also attach your game to a new thread in this forum. In this case, you can use whatever compression format you find suitable. NOTE: Games posted this way won't be put into the archive unless submitted to the archive proper, or unless the author states he/she wants the game in.

Lastly, we suggest you post a suitable screenshot of your submission (in PNG format) along with the game.
  • (4 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

red elle dort dans le grand rouge

#31 User is offline   Seventh Shade 

• willfully disreputable
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 05 September 2013 - 03:44 AM

Megazeux is a lesson in choosing between two semi-bad options. You can either use one character, two color graphics that look, in a general sense, primitive or you do what this game does, which is look really pretty but have an emptiness and lack of detail in the map design because you don't have enough characters to add all the terrain bits that increase verisimilitude. I guess it keeps with the old-school jrpg graphics style, but I don't know if it's really sensible to fetishize what's really a weakness of those old games, and one only brought about by hardware limitations rather than preference. Still, it's great to see a game use SMZX so well and you folks did extremely well with what you had to work with.

#32 User is offline   Exophase 

• Laughing on the inside.
  • Group: DigiStaff

Posted 05 September 2013 - 06:17 AM

Okay, so now I'm stuck in the switch puzzle hell underneath the Derelict Grotto. I was there for over an hour until I finally managed to get myself stuck by pushing a couple blocks against the entrance of one of the switch bridges and had to use the exit art. Any ideas :(

(yes I realize I'm pretty severely sequence breaking here, I even got the Sword Tower key before I got Natalie ;p)
~ ex0 has a kickass battle engine, without it you sux0rz! without it you sux0rz! ~

"The fact that I say I've one of the best, is called honesty." -Akwende
"Megazeux is not ment to be just ASCII, it is ANSI!" - T-bone6
"I hate it when you get all exo on me." - emalkay

Exophase can what Rubi-cant.
exoware is ware ur ware is exoware
ps. not loking 4 new membrs kthx

#33 User is offline   Lachesis 

• the pinnacle of human emotion

Posted 05 September 2013 - 06:45 AM

Spoiler

"Let's just say I'm a GOOD hacker, AND virus maker. I'm sure you wouldn't like to pay for another PC would you?"

xx̊y (OST) - HELLQUEST (OST) - Zeux I: Labyrinth of Zeux (OST) (DOS OST)
w/ Lancer-X and/or asgromo: Pandora's Gate - Thanatos Insignia - no True(n) - For Elise OST
MegaZeux: Online Help File - Keycode Guide - Joystick Guide - Official GIT Repository

#34 User is offline   Exophase 

Posted 05 September 2013 - 06:58 AM

Thanks again. Can't try it now but hopefully that makes sense to me tomorrow. This is a good game but occasionally it may suffer from I'm-not-as-smart-as-Lancer syndrome :( (Wervyn, whom I assume had little problem testing this stuff, would be somewhat immune to this)
~ ex0 has a kickass battle engine, without it you sux0rz! without it you sux0rz! ~

#35 User is offline   Lachesis 

Posted 05 September 2013 - 07:12 AM

Just wait until this puzzle.
Spoiler

Or
Spoiler

"Let's just say I'm a GOOD hacker, AND virus maker. I'm sure you wouldn't like to pay for another PC would you?"

w/ Lancer-X and/or asgromo: Pandora's Gate - Thanatos Insignia - no True(n) - For Elise OST
MegaZeux: Online Help File - Keycode Guide - Joystick Guide - Official GIT Repository

#36 User is offline   Dr Lancer-X 

• 電波、届いた?

Posted 05 September 2013 - 07:01 PM

I wonder if I went a little overboard with the puzzles in general; it's just kind of hard to make the locations all that interesting without them (and, for example, the towers would need to be a lot bigger or have a higher encounter rate if you could just walk through them). And yeah, if I'm looking for someone to judge the reasonableness of puzzles I guess Wervyn isn't necessarily the best choice =P

Megazeux is a lesson in choosing between two semi-bad options. You can either use one character, two color graphics that look, in a general sense, primitive or you do what this game does, which is look really pretty but have an emptiness and lack of detail in the map design because you don't have enough characters to add all the terrain bits that increase verisimilitude. I guess it keeps with the old-school jrpg graphics style, but I don't know if it's really sensible to fetishize what's really a weakness of those old games, and one only brought about by hardware limitations rather than preference. Still, it's great to see a game use SMZX so well and you folks did extremely well with what you had to work with.

Actually it's a bit of a different tradeoff than that; the thing about extreme levels of variety and detail is the amount of additional manual work that would go into location design. I tried creating an RPG that's along the former lines but content creation became a massive barrier and I realised I simply wouldn't be able to make it.

My projects since then were attempts at picking different kinds of 'stylish minimalism' that would enable me, as someone with limited free time and even more limited attention span to create a full-length RPG. Those eventually fell apart, but 'red's approach turned out to be the perfect kind of stylish minimalism required for the task.

The graphical style used in 'red', while very limiting, gave me a lot of freedom because I was able to create a lot of stuff quickly; for the same reason working in MZX can be liberating because of the limitations, not in spite of them. So when I look at it that way, for me, it wasn't a tradeoff at all; it was the obvious thing to do for making this game.
Posted Image
<Malwyn> Yes, yes. Don't worry I'd rather masturbate with broken glass than ask you for help again. :(

#37 User is offline   Wervyn 

• I can see you

Posted 05 September 2013 - 09:29 PM

Yeah, my general approach to puzzles is "wow, that was challenging, awesome! Don't change anything!" I'm almost never thinking in terms of making things easier for other people. So oh well.

I also need to get around to finishing my playthrough of this. I stopped once I got to the <Red Maze> since life got really busy. Houses are expensive, yo!

"Funny how there's always a little more innocence to lose."
To lie is to change the truth.
..Ignorance is to be unaware of the truth.
....Incompetence is to be unable to grasp the truth.
......And escape is to run away from the truth.
It is useless to run, since the truth is right next to you.

-Wervyn

#38 User is offline   Seventh Shade 

• willfully disreputable
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 05 September 2013 - 10:32 PM

View PostLancer-X, on 05 September 2013 - 02:01 PM, said:

Actually it's a bit of a different tradeoff than that; the thing about extreme levels of variety and detail is the amount of additional manual work that would go into location design. I tried creating an RPG that's along the former lines but content creation became a massive barrier and I realised I simply wouldn't be able to make it.

My projects since then were attempts at picking different kinds of 'stylish minimalism' that would enable me, as someone with limited free time and even more limited attention span to create a full-length RPG. Those eventually fell apart, but 'red's approach turned out to be the perfect kind of stylish minimalism required for the task.

The graphical style used in 'red', while very limiting, gave me a lot of freedom because I was able to create a lot of stuff quickly; for the same reason working in MZX can be liberating because of the limitations, not in spite of them. So when I look at it that way, for me, it wasn't a tradeoff at all; it was the obvious thing to do for making this game.

I don't know about that. Back when I was working on that roguelike I made an engine that added the kind of details we're talking about to the randomly generated levels. I'm mega slow at programing and middling at it as well and it didn't take long at all. I somewhat agree that megazeux's graphical limitations speed things up... except when you're trying to figure out how to eak just that little bit more out of it. Did you read what Anna Anthropy said about megazeux encouraging a certain demo-sceneishness because megazeux is both very capable of doing much more than what it's immediate capabilities would suggest but the difficulty of getting it to do it means that showing off technically sometimes gets in the way of everything else that makes a game good?

#39 User is offline   Exophase 

Posted 05 September 2013 - 10:43 PM

After going back to the area I was stuck in I'm all but positive that I actually broke the game. The bridge that went back to the entrance was permanently gone and pressing the switch in the upper right would make the bridge leading to it disappear. Now that I went back I could get through it without a problem, although I'm still not really sure how to get the chests in the corners.

#40 User is offline   Exophase 

Posted 05 September 2013 - 11:15 PM

Okay, this isn't good.. I just purchased and used a few arts scrolls and now my spell lists are full of duplicates and I lost some. Like the ever important portal :( Although now Natalie has three portals instead. I also lost my greater art and who knows what else, I'm not totally sure what I had beforehand. I can dig through older saves to check.

Did I totally ruin my game with a save version upgrade or something? I did that yesterday. This along with how incredibly badly I sequence broke the game (I had the sword key before Natalie even joined, and at no point did I find the game unreasonably difficult combat-wise - although part of that is probably due to how broken Rapid Bow + Glass Arrow was)

EDIT: Okay, I went back to an older save. I have two Sluggish in Sophia and two Vulnerable in Amy, no other dupes.. and no Platinum Wind (it was on Karen). I have no idea when or how I lost it. I'm probably tempting fate even trying to play like this but I'll see what happens, including more art corruption next time I purchase more.

EDIT2: I can confirm that giving any of my party members but Sophia De-Petrify caused one of their basic arts to be replaced with a basic art they already have. Last time I gave them all De-Petrify and Geyser and gave three of them Weaken, may have given some others too. It really broke their arts lists.

#41 User is offline   Dr Lancer-X 

• 電波、届いた?

Posted 05 September 2013 - 11:28 PM

Oh dear. I don't suppose you have the original save still? If so I can have a look at it for you.

I knew something like this would happen. I blame Lachesis for wanting a sorted inventory =P

Was it just arts that got corrupted, not any items?

EDIT: Wow did I drop the ball on this. The problem is the code that teaches new Arts and it's so obviously wrong I'm amazed it didn't break during testing. I'll have a patch out in a moment.
Posted Image
<Malwyn> Yes, yes. Don't worry I'd rather masturbate with broken glass than ask you for help again. :(

#42 User is offline   Dr Lancer-X 

• 電波、届いた?

Posted 05 September 2013 - 11:40 PM

Here's a version that shouldn't mangle your spell lists when you use <Basic Art> scripts.
http://sho-in.com/ix...1.04-update.zip

If you know which spells you should have I can repair your save real quick.

I'll be updating the main zips in a moment because this is a really game-breaking bug.
Posted Image

#43 User is offline   Exophase 

Posted 05 September 2013 - 11:51 PM

Well, just removing the dupes from Sophia and Amy would probably make me feel better.. and giving Karen Platinum Wind back (am curious if that got lost due to this bug too or if it was somehow reset due to sequence breaking). I've attached the save file.. hope I got the right one, it's supposed to be third from the top.Attached File  SAVESLOT2.zip (598.01K)
Number of downloads: 49

#44 User is offline   Dr Lancer-X 

• 電波、届いた?

Posted 05 September 2013 - 11:57 PM

Might want to try attaching that again. Basically, what happened was that when using the items that teach arts, the code:
- found the position in the player's 'art inventory' to place that art
- moved all the arts that appear after it down
- replaced the last art in the list with your new one.

So each duplication is a loss, basically.
Somehow I didn't make this screwup for arts taught through the scripting language (i.e. Greater Arts) or arts taught in battle (Spirit Arts. Battle Arts aren't in your art inventory), just for the items.

This would have been how Platinum Wind got overwritten, since it's almost definitely going to appear last (unless the character has other Greater Arts)
Posted Image

#45 User is offline   Exophase 

Posted 06 September 2013 - 12:13 AM

Yeah, it's up now, sorry.. didn't realize it kept rejecting it.

I actually did lose Spirit Travel (I think it's called) earlier but just figured spirit arts went away somehow :(

#46 User is offline   Dr Lancer-X 

• 電波、届いた?

Posted 06 September 2013 - 12:15 AM

View PostExophase, on 06 September 2013 - 10:13 AM, said:

Yeah, it's up now, sorry.. didn't realize it kept rejecting it.

I actually did lose Spirit Travel (I think it's called) earlier but just figured spirit arts went away somehow :(/>

Here you go:
Attached File  SAVESLOT2.zip (534.44K)
Number of downloads: 49
Sophia lost 2 arts and Amy lost 1 because I don't know what they were originally. Karen's got the right number since she only had 1 dup and I knew what it erased (PLATINUM WIND).

I can readd Spirit Travel if you know who lost it.

Anyway, to reiterate: everyone, please get the patch http://sho-in.com/ix...1.04-update.zip
Turns out v1.03 is the most broken release of the game >_>
Posted Image

#47 User is offline   Exophase 

Posted 06 September 2013 - 12:27 AM

Thanks a bunch. Spiritl Travel was Sophia's, but it's redundant now anyway (and I can get it back if I really want to). I'm sure whatever Amy lost isn't too important.

#48 User is offline   Lachesis 

Posted 06 September 2013 - 02:24 AM

Hey! Don't blame me! I haven't even tested it!

Spoiler

#49 User is offline   Exophase 

Posted 08 September 2013 - 09:27 AM

Just "beat" Red. Very nice game. I use the word beat loosely because the end-rating is missing a ton of stuff.

Here's a bunch of random thoughts.. don't read unless you've beaten the game!

Spoiler

#50 User is offline   Dr Lancer-X 

• 電波、届いた?

Posted 08 September 2013 - 11:16 AM

Glad you enjoyed it.

Spoiler

Posted Image

#51 User is offline   Lachesis 

Posted 08 September 2013 - 05:13 PM

Spoiler

#52 User is offline   Exophase 

Posted 09 September 2013 - 02:26 AM

Just found a game breaking bug: when Sophia hit level 100 (or maybe it was 99, not positive) the battle engine entered an infinite loop levelling her up to every level afterwards with 0 status bonuses. I'll have to wait for a fix before I can resume.

View PostLachesis, on 08 September 2013 - 01:13 PM, said:

Spoiler

Spoiler

#53 User is offline   Dr Lancer-X 

• 電波、届いた?

Posted 09 September 2013 - 02:45 AM

View PostExophase, on 09 September 2013 - 12:26 PM, said:

Just found a game breaking bug: when Sophia hit level 100 (or maybe it was 99, not positive) the battle engine entered an infinite loop levelling her up to every level afterwards with 0 status bonuses. I'll have to wait for a fix before I can resume.

Wow; I thought I had tested for that eventuality, but evidently either I didn't or I broke it afterwards. I'll get on that in a moment.

Spoiler

EDIT: Here's an update: http://sho-in.com/i-...1.05-update.zip
Posted Image

#54 User is offline   Exophase 

Posted 09 September 2013 - 03:49 AM

Thanks again Lancer.

#55 User is offline   Lachesis 

Posted 09 September 2013 - 10:01 AM

Just beat the game. 34:04:01

Spoiler

Great game. When's the sequel coming out???

#56 User is offline   Dr Lancer-X 

• 電波、届いた?

Posted 09 September 2013 - 11:37 AM

As a piece of bonus info for anyone interested,
Spoiler

Posted Image

#57 User is offline   Baby Bonnie Hood 

• Neatsome!
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 09 September 2013 - 01:37 PM

MegaZeux RPGs sure have come a very long way from the old smiley graphics and 40 counter limit, haven't they?
Posted Image

#58 User is offline   Exophase 

Posted 10 September 2013 - 04:38 AM

19:20:22 for "proper" game clear.

View PostLancer-X, on 09 September 2013 - 07:37 AM, said:

As a piece of bonus info for anyone interested,
Spoiler

Spoiler

#59 User is offline   Dr Lancer-X 

• 電波、届いた?

Posted 10 September 2013 - 05:03 AM

View PostExophase, on 10 September 2013 - 02:38 PM, said:

Spoiler

Spoiler

View PostExophase, on 10 September 2013 - 02:38 PM, said:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Posted Image

#60 User is offline   Exophase 

Posted 10 September 2013 - 05:52 AM

View PostLancer-X, on 10 September 2013 - 01:03 AM, said:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Share this topic:

• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic