dMZX Forums: Decouple bytecode from Robotic. -> MegaZeux Feature Requests -> Tracker

Report ID 225 Title Decouple bytecode from Robotic.
Product MegaZeux Feature Requests Status Flagged For Future Version (Severity 1 - Low)
Version GIT (debytecode) Fixed in -

Page 1 of 1
  • Cannot start a new Issue
  • You cannot reply to this issue

Report ID #225: Decouple bytecode from Robotic.

astral 

• 6 pc chicken mcnobody
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 04 January 2010 - 03:25 AM

The goal of this item is to separate bytecode from the Robotic language runtime such that a new language can be integrated to improve Megazeux's functionality.

This feature is currently in the planning stage. All information related to this and necessary research notes should be relayed here.

Completion of this feature necessary by July 3, 2010 for the next major Megazeux release.

Summary:
http://www.digitalmz...showtopic=14238

Page 1 of 1  

Replies (1 - 5)

ajs 

• carpe diem
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 10 January 2010 - 03:44 PM

Some progress has been made with this already. I have merged current trunk into debytecode reducing the delta from around 35K LOC to about 8K. 5.6K of this is in the new robotic assembler. The following ordered work items remain:
  • Extract features/bugfixes/cleanups unrelated to debytecode and merge them into trunk immediately;
  • Implement preventative features Exo has requested;
  • Once debytecode and trunk are as similar as possible, build preview binaries for testing and community feedback;
  • Decide when and how to merge this into trunk.
The (current) leading proposal is to create a hybrid, where choice of language is fixed at world-creation time, then debytecode can continue to develop in trunk rather than in isolation of the main code-base. The legacy robotic editors/assemblers/disassemblers go into maintenance mode and receive no new features; features only appear in the new language. Eventually, when debytecode is mature, and there is a community consensus that it is a good and valid improvement, we remove the ability to code in the older language.

Something like, that, anyway. It's all fairly nebulous at the moment and I'm open to alternative suggestions.

--ajs.

ajs 

• carpe diem
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 22 January 2010 - 06:24 PM

Another update on this. The method I've picked, moving forwards, is to put all of the debytecode changes under CONFIG_DEBYTECODE in trunk. IOW, it becomes a compile time option to select the debytecode build. This will reduce the number of changes I need to make to my build scripts and no longer risks falling behind trunk again (as I make bug fixes).

After releasing the preview (hopefully in the next few days) I will work to eliminate the CONFIG_DEBYTECODE blocks and start switching on parts of the code at runtime.

--ajs.

ajs 

• carpe diem
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 17 December 2010 - 08:25 PM

Updating status to: Flagged For Future Version
Updating severity to: 1 - Low

The release was made, and futherance of the integration is not a 2.83b item.

--ajs.

Terryn 

• Group: DigiStaff

Posted 31 December 2011 - 08:23 PM

Moving to: MegaZeux Feature Requests

Lachesis 

• the pinnacle of human emotion
  • Group: DigiStaff

Posted 28 June 2017 - 06:01 PM

Updating version to: GIT (debytecode)

Future planned features from the request file:

• An IF command that takes no label and skips the next command when false.
  • User-definable functions
  • User-definable local variables

"Let's just say I'm a GOOD hacker, AND virus maker. I'm sure you wouldn't like to pay for another PC would you?"

xx̊y (OST) - HELLQUEST (OST) - Zeux I: Labyrinth of Zeux (OST) (DOS OST)
w/ Lancer-X and/or asgromo: Pandora's Gate - Thanatos Insignia - no True(n) - For Elise OST
MegaZeux: Online Help File - Keycode Guide - Joystick Guide - Official GIT Repository

Page 1 of 1

0 User(s) are reading this issue
0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users